Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Worried
BumbleBee 07:34 PM 02-01-2013
As I posted earlier this week I had a dope & drop that was interesting to say the least.

Late this morning I spoke w/dcm of child of was doped & dropped because she wanted to know if anybody here had been sick recently. Other than a cold that we've shared nobody has been sick.

Dcm informed me that dck fever never went below 103 F even w/Tylenol on board every 4 hrs yesterday. Today dck has no fever but cannot walk more than a few feet w/o falling over & is "shaky." I spoke w/dcm this evening and they're at the hospital. Ears are fine-first thing they checked. Kid had a double ear infection around Christmas. Up until 2 days ago showed no signs of being ill. No other info yet.

I am worried sick & my mind is racing. Sepsis, viral menangitis, dehydration, fever seizures, and on and on. It's been on my mind all day and I'm going crazy thinking of all the possibilities.

Thanks for reading.
mamac 08:15 PM 02-01-2013
My ds had a temp of ranging from 103.3 to 104.1 for almost 3 days when he was about 2 1/2 to 3 years old. Doc told us to just monitor and to bring him in if he became lethargic. Doc said as long as he was able to move around and function to a point he was ok to not be seen. We were told to hydrate as much as possible and not to worry about him not eating. I, of course, was freaking out because I know that kind of a temp in adults is really not a good thing.

I'd be willing to bet that the shakiness is due to the fever. My son was that way also. I have found that Tylenol does absolutely nothing to reduce fevers in my kids. One dose of ibuprofen and it goes down. I usually alternate Tylenol with Motrin to prevent overdosing when they run a consistent fever. Dck is probably also very weak just from not feeling well.

I wouldn't worry too much about anything really serious at this point. I think higher temps are more normal in kids than they are in adults. An adult with a temp that high usually signals something worse than your average cold. I had meningitis several years ago and my temp got as high as 106.1

I'm sure everything will turn out well with your dck.

Keep us posted.... and breathe.
e.j. 09:19 AM 02-02-2013
Poor kid! Any updates on how dck's doing? I can't blame you for being worried about him; I would be, too.
BumbleBee 11:56 AM 02-02-2013
Short version: Severe sinus infection behind 1 eye (sphenoid sinus) that's being treated w/4 back to back antibiotics (19 days).

Long version: The sphenoid sinus is so full & swollen that it closed off the eustation tube (tube that goes from behind the ear drum to the throat) and trapped fluid in the vestibular labyrinth-also known as the semicircular canals-in the middle ear. The vestibular labyrinth/semicircular canals are our balance centers.

The reason for the long antibiotic regimen is because the infection is so severe it can deteriorate the sinus wall and spread into the meninges causing meningitis.

Can you tell I grew up in a medical family??????
daycarediva 05:25 PM 02-02-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
Short version: Severe sinus infection behind 1 eye (sphenoid sinus) that's being treated w/4 back to back antibiotics (19 days).

Long version: The sphenoid sinus is so full & swollen that it closed off the eustation tube (tube that goes from behind the ear drum to the throat) and trapped fluid in the vestibular labyrinth-also known as the semicircular canals-in the middle ear. The vestibular labyrinth/semicircular canals are our balance centers.

The reason for the long antibiotic regimen is because the infection is so severe it can deteriorate the sinus wall and spread into the meninges causing meningitis.

Can you tell I grew up in a medical family??????
Poor kiddo!!!! Glad he is going to be ok though!
Tags:dope and drop, fever, sick kid, worried
Reply Up