Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Success with Filing For ANY Benefits?
dan18ny 12:30 AM 04-14-2020
Are you filing for regular unemployment or PPP?

I am from California. I tried making a claim and it failed. I filed for regular unemployment and stated I was self employed. I also stated several reasons why I shut down due to the corona virus. In the end I was rejected because I put that I was not looking for work. I had stated that I couldn't work because I have my own kids at home because they are out of school now.

Has anyone found success filing for unemployment or ANYTHING?
Michael 03:36 AM 04-14-2020
Applied for an SBA loan for one of my companies and my daughter filed for unemployment. We have been waiting for a response but none so far.
Sunchimes 10:28 AM 04-14-2020
I filed online for unemployment in Texas. I got a message (in my online unemployment mailbox) that I needed to call a certain number to give more information. And after almost 2 weeks, still can't get through. But, last week, a welcome to unemployment email came through that same Workforce message box. It told me that I hadn't earned enough to get benefits. I think that is because I am self employed and no, no employer has been paying into unemployment. In searching the site, the limited info on covid related claims says to just wait. It will take a while to sort through things, as much as 4 weeks maybe. I filed online at 6:15 in the morning. Texas website says the hours between midnight and 6 am are the best chance to file online. May be the same elsewhere. Still haven't gotten through to a real person.
daycarediva 11:15 AM 04-14-2020
My state is allowing for unemployment even for lost wages. Since I lost 5 FT kids and 2 PT, I applied. They called to follow up due to the special circumstances, and I'm supposed to get a follow up letter in the mail this week with a determination.

Applied for the EIDLA as well, up to 10,000 in a forgiveable loan. Waiting to hear back as well.

I know a LOT of providers in my area and NONE are receiving anything, and MANY have been rejected for unemployment, even those actively seeking work.

So.... where's all the money really going? Large corporations?
nanglgrl 11:22 AM 04-14-2020
I applied for everything available to me. I got approved for a sole-proprietor grant in Iowa that covers about 1.5 weeks of my normal gross profit, my unemployment claim was changed to eligible today, (I applied over 2 weeks ago, but I don’t know when I will get benefits or the amount) and my bank said my paycheck protection loan is being finalized and I will receive an email with the final loan amount and terms in a few minutes (it’s been more than a few minutes so I’m sure it will take a while if it doesn’t fall through). My hope is that I can get unemployment until the paycheck protection goes through and use the grant to cover some of my losses from before the grant/PPL. I applied for the EIDL as well, before they developed the quick online form, but haven’t heard back on it. However they have checked my credit twice and my score dropped 11 points. I got a little head start in my area because I had to close for 2 weeks per doctors orders due to symptoms. Since my son lives in LA and best friend lives in NY I had a good idea of what was going to happen to my business in the coming weeks especially since everyone was just going about business as normal here (and many still are). I lost 3 clients permanently early on, have 3 more staying home and not paying, have two who will likely lose their jobs and have one essential worker still needing services.
TomCopeland 05:34 PM 04-15-2020
Originally Posted by dan18ny:
Are you filing for regular unemployment or PPP?

I am from California. I tried making a claim and it failed. I filed for regular unemployment and stated I was self employed. I also stated several reasons why I shut down due to the corona virus. In the end I was rejected because I put that I was not looking for work. I had stated that I couldn't work because I have my own kids at home because they are out of school now.

Has anyone found success filing for unemployment or ANYTHING?
Many states have not yet fixed their online unemployment application form to handle the self employed. When they do they will call it the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program. Look for this on the unemployment website. This is when they will start accepting applications from the self employed. This is now happening in some states, but not all. Check back every few days or so and when you see it, apply.
BumbleBee 05:18 AM 04-17-2020
I haven't had any success with anything. I have more or less given up at this point. Our Michigan state system is so far behind right now, as I'm sure many are. I feel awful for my employee. I had set aside money to give her paid time off during this but that money has been exhausted. She's messaging me every day about the unemployment system and I have no answers. I'm buying the bare minimum and have cancelled/cut down everything I can. I'm just praying my savings will last until I can reopen fully. 2-3 kids a week is some money coming in but I can't keep the business running and survive on that for long.
Cat Herder 06:26 AM 04-17-2020
My county news page posted a poll as well and all of the replies were no. Well over 100 replies, too.
morgan24 12:05 PM 04-17-2020
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
I haven't had any success with anything. I have more or less given up at this point. Our Michigan state system is so far behind right now, as I'm sure many are. I feel awful for my employee. I had set aside money to give her paid time off during this but that money has been exhausted. She's messaging me every day about the unemployment system and I have no answers. I'm buying the bare minimum and have cancelled/cut down everything I can. I'm just praying my savings will last until I can reopen fully. 2-3 kids a week is some money coming in but I can't keep the business running and survive on that for long.
I’m in Michigan too. The PUA application is on the unemployment site. I have already applied and its been approved. On Monday I should be able to certify for the last 2 weeks and hopefully will be getting paid. I’m not sure if I’ll be getting help from the state yet or not. I was denied but it’s being reviewed now.
Daycarefamily 07:19 PM 04-18-2020
We are in NH.

EIDL - nothing
PPP - zip
PUA - nada
Stimulus check - nil

We have two customers left, for now.

We figure we will get something by the time the shut-down is lifted, we will be slim and trim!!
Tags:government subsidies, sba, sba - loan, unemployment compensation
Reply Up