Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Incidence Report Policy?
Sugaree 08:27 AM 01-14-2016
Apparently my son's daycare has changed their policy on incident reports. If one child is injured by another then only the parents of the injured child is given a written report. Unfortunately, I found this out because my kid bit one of his friends (Dang, I thought we were past that stage)

This was about a week ago. He told me about it the day it happened and we talked about it not being nice and whether or not he apologized. But since I never got a report I wondered whether or not it really happened or if it was just the imagination of a 2.5 year old. Yesterday afternoon, his teacher told me that it had happened and that they had forgotten to tell me about it, but that I'd no longer be receiving reports if/when my child is the non-injured party.

Honestly, I'm at a loss as to why both sets of parents wouldn't receive a report. If he hadn't told me about it then I wouldn't have known for a week. It's really hard for me to address something at home for something that happened at school a week ago.
Thriftylady 09:14 AM 01-14-2016
That seems odd to me. I mean if something accidentally happened, I probably would only do a report for the injured party. But with something like biting I want the parent to help me solve it, so I would want them to know for sure.
Unregistered 09:21 AM 01-14-2016
I would ask daily if my child behaved. I'd say ask for a toddler report but personally I only do infant reports (non talkers).
Sugaree 12:21 PM 01-14-2016
We get a daily sheet, but they only list things like what they ate, when they were changed or pottied.
thrivingchildcarecom 12:30 PM 01-14-2016
You might want to mention to the director/provider that you would like to know so that you can address the problem in a timely manner.
Sugaree 01:07 PM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
You might want to mention to the director/provider that you would like to know so that you can address the problem in a timely manner.
I'll mention it, but supposedly it's the new director that has implemented this change.
Cat Herder 02:03 PM 01-14-2016
I do not believe it is the directors choice.

I am also not allowed to send home notes for "normal childhood developmental issues".

Sending that note (which has to be filed with licensing) would be viewed as I am not professional enough to handle appropriate classroom management techniques and need updated training.

It is part of the Quality Rating and Improvement Systems.

Later, when you child is a bit older, if you start receiving notes again....it is because they are documenting before the termination process begins.
Cat Herder 02:14 PM 01-14-2016
To quickly clarify: The onus to curb biting is not on the child or parent. It is on the provider to prevent the known and predictable patterns of escalation in group care that leads to biting.

From Provider to Parent,

It's not you, It's me.

Honestly, It is viewed as a classroom management problem, not a child or parent problem.
Reply Up