Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4301  
Old 03-30-2018, 10:10 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter View Post
So this isnít a normal vent of frustration or annoyance, but of just plain sadness. Iím moving out of state and therefore closing my daycare. I wonít be doing daycare anymore because weíve been told my husbandís new job will likely relocate us regularly. The past couple days I keep having these moments where the kids will do something adorable and knowing moments like that are numbered, my eyes just suddenly fill with tears and I have to step out of the room so the kids donít see me upset. When I began doing daycare last July I had no idea how much I would become attached to these kids. I knew Iíd enjoy having them here but had no idea the hold they would take on my heart. I do not have children of my own so honestly this quick bonding caught me by surprise. How in the world do you say goodbye to them? I have been trying to imagine how Iíll handle their last day as they get picked up and I close the door behind them and I canít imagine being able to hold back the tears. Itís going to awful and I am so dreading it.
Awwwww
Reply With Quote
  #4302  
Old 03-30-2018, 11:14 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
DCM came in laughing saying DCG (age 3) started new funny habit. DCG tells you to smell her hand which she just got done rubbing her hands in her pants. Parents think itís hilarious. I find this repulsive.

Stop laughing (and encouraging) your childís unsanitary and disgusting behavior.

😩😩😩😩

Because it IS repulsive.
Reply With Quote
  #4303  
Old 04-02-2018, 09:03 AM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,151
Default

I'm having flashbacks to my childhood and my annoying brother this morning. One of my dcks is sitting next to me on the couch and keeps poking me. I just want to hollar "Mom he's toouuching me!!!!!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #4304  
Old 04-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,892
Default

A SA sibling of my dcgs, has lice. Oh please please please dcgs, don't get those little buggers. Please??
Reply With Quote
  #4305  
Old 04-03-2018, 08:34 AM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
DCM came in laughing saying DCG (age 3) started new funny habit. DCG tells you to smell her hand which she just got done rubbing her hands in her pants. Parents think itís hilarious. I find this repulsive.

Stop laughing (and encouraging) your childís unsanitary and disgusting behavior.

😩😩😩😩


That is disgusting.
Reply With Quote
  #4306  
Old 04-03-2018, 08:36 AM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
Do they even make onesies for 3 year olds? It just makes me gag. I do not want to know your hands were down your pants and then you are touching everything. Just No.

They don't make onsies, but the do make one piece jammies. In fleece, cotton, with attached feet and with no attached feet....a pair for every temperature and weather

Does she do this while in your care? If so, I'd be putting her in a pair of these ASAP.
Reply With Quote
  #4307  
Old 04-03-2018, 08:51 AM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,902
Default

My vent for the day, parents who let their kids bring items and then play dumb.

Yesterday:

DCB (5.5) arrives with a fingerling.

Me: I will hold this while you take your shoes off, then you can give it to mom.

DCB: Complies.

DCB's sister: I know you take toys away (referring to toys brought from home.)

Me: Blank stare.

While this conversation is happening mom keeps saying "DCB you know you weren't supposed to bring that" in the most half hearted way ever. She looks at the toy then turns and begins walking out the door. I hand the toy to DCB and tell him to give it to mom. He does and we move on with our day.

This happens every single day with this child. USB drives. Broken toys. Random wrappers. Once snack and a juice box when mom knows I serve all food/drinks here.

Today:

DCB (new 4) had been having difficult drop offs. It's because mom and dad linger and play into it BIG TIME. I have resorted to politely shuffling them out the door after the second round of goodbyes. DCB is FINE as soon as the door is closed. He's actually one of my favorite DCK's minus the arrival shenanigans. DCM has started bringing items to keep here for the day...for him. Hats, necklaces...today is was an umbrella. It is going to be 90 degrees with zero rain in sight for the next week. Really? An umbrella? Every morning I hand the items back to her when she leaves. Yet every morning she still brings them.

I have a feeling this is a power struggle with her. I have a policy where all children must wear socks while in attendance. She was great at following, then started sending without socks. I sent a reminder and she followed....then started sending without socks again. I send another reminder and while she has remembered to send socks (yay!) now random toys and things have been coming during arrival. It's like you enforce one rule and they break another just to see what you will do

Neither of these families are new either.
Reply With Quote
  #4308  
Old 04-03-2018, 08:51 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
Do they even make onesies for 3 year olds? It just makes me gag. I do not want to know your hands were down your pants and then you are touching everything. Just No.
They go up to size 7. I use them regularly on DCK's here, along with cotton tights sometimes. https://www.amazon.com/Toddler-Bodys...words=5t+onsie https://www.amazon.com/4T-Toddler-Sl...V54S8QFKRPEQ65
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #4309  
Old 04-03-2018, 12:52 PM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
They go up to size 7. I use them regularly on DCK's here, along with cotton tights sometimes. https://www.amazon.com/Toddler-Bodys...words=5t+onsie https://www.amazon.com/4T-Toddler-Sl...V54S8QFKRPEQ65
I had no idea!
Reply With Quote
  #4310  
Old 04-03-2018, 02:44 PM
finsup's Avatar
finsup finsup is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,034
Default

Dcb 9 months had a pretty yucky diaper yesterday, loose stool but not really diahrea. Today, two more, loose but again not exactly diahrea. But the smell. Oh my goodness. I have taken the diapers out, cleaned and disinfected and I can still smell it. It's awful. I hate these borderline issues, I would much rather have him home but it technically doesn't meet exclusion policies.
Reply With Quote
  #4311  
Old 04-05-2018, 01:41 PM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 577
Default

Over the passive aggressive comments.

DCG: throwing a fit because she wants to go out back and play on the swingset
DCP: Iíll take you outside when we get home.
DCG: No! (As she flailing) I want to go out back here
DCP: You must not have napped today, did you?

Me: no, she took a 2 hour nap like she does everyday.

Iím sorry you canít control your child.
Reply With Quote
  #4312  
Old 04-06-2018, 01:46 PM
finsup's Avatar
finsup finsup is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,034
Default

And guess who's kid started throwing up this afternoon?! Yep, mine. Odds are good this came from the kiddo with the super yucky diapers the past few days. Stinks too because we actually had plans and a sitter tonight for the first time in like oh, nearly a year.
*sigh* take out and early bedtimes it is.
Reply With Quote
  #4313  
Old 04-06-2018, 02:30 PM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 768
Default

I wish parents could be faster gettind their kids ready and out my door! Why can i put your kids boots and coat on in less than a minute but it takes you 10min?
Especially when its your last kid and you still had 30min left til closing so you couldnt get them dressed and ready before the parent arrived.
Reply With Quote
  #4314  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:08 PM
TheMisplacedMidwestMom's Avatar
TheMisplacedMidwestMom TheMisplacedMidwestMom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 735
Default

Full participation nap time cry tag followed by "I'm going to pretend to be asleep and the moment you FINALLY get to leave the room I'll go around and wake everyone up".

Three. More. Hours.
Reply With Quote
  #4315  
Old 04-09-2018, 02:58 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

I now have an official car seat policy

It was never an issue, and then it was. I'm done tripping over car seats because parents are too cheap to get a second seat.
Reply With Quote
  #4316  
Old 04-09-2018, 03:32 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
I now have an official car seat policy

It was never an issue, and then it was. I'm done tripping over car seats because parents are too cheap to get a second seat.
I'm back from my 10 days off .
Reply With Quote
  #4317  
Old 04-09-2018, 05:29 AM
Miss A's Avatar
Miss A Miss A is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,006
Default

Drop-in child scheduled to arrive 40 minutes earlier than my first full-time child. It is now 30 minutes past their scheduled arrival, child is not here, and I have not heard a word from parents.

As it Monday's didn't already such enough, I wouldn't have had to set an early alarm this morning if they had just communicated!
Reply With Quote
  #4318  
Old 04-09-2018, 05:56 AM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
I now have an official car seat policy

It was never an issue, and then it was. I'm done tripping over car seats because parents are too cheap to get a second seat.
I need one too! Please share! I havent figured out how to write one without sounding like a ***** lol
Reply With Quote
  #4319  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:21 AM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
I need one too! Please share! I havent figured out how to write one without sounding like a ***** lol
I can PM you mine... you can tweak it how you wish
Reply With Quote
  #4320  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:21 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
I need one too! Please share! I havent figured out how to write one without sounding like a ***** lol
My policy says:

Car Seats

Car seats may NOT be left on the child care property, either inside or out.

If another adult needs to pick-up or drop-off your child, you will need to make arrangements for the exchange of car seats.

If I am aware of a child being transported to or from child care without the use of the proper required child restraint seat, the authorities will immediately be notified as again, the safety and well being of your child is my priority.



During interviews I then explain the rule is due to liability.

I do NOT transport kids, do not take car seat training and do not have space to store seats inside or outside nor am I willing to take on the responsibility.
Reply With Quote
  #4321  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:39 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

I hate sitting and waiting. I had to be at the surgery center by 7 for a colonoscopy. 45 mins later and I'm still sitting here, waiting.

I'm hungry, thirsty, and cranky! Plus, I'm exhausted as I got about 2 hrs sleep last night. Not a good combo.
Reply With Quote
  #4322  
Old 04-09-2018, 08:19 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
I hate sitting and waiting. I had to be at the surgery center by 7 for a colonoscopy. 45 mins later and I'm still sitting here, waiting.

I'm hungry, thirsty, and cranky! Plus, I'm exhausted as I got about 2 hrs sleep last night. Not a good combo.
My first colonoscopy is scheduled for saturday. Not looking forward to it but one of those special things I get to do since I turned 50
Reply With Quote
  #4323  
Old 04-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Started 2 boys (siblings) today. Not impressed.
Reply With Quote
  #4324  
Old 04-09-2018, 09:43 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
Started 2 boys (siblings) today. Not impressed.
I REALLY don't like siblings. I NEVER love both kids.
Reply With Quote
  #4325  
Old 04-09-2018, 09:49 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,538
Default

Got a message from DCM of a FT 5yo. "We decided to hold him back a year after meeting with the K registration teacher, so you get to keep him until June 2019."

UM NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I brought up issues, shared articles. Mom was staunchly anti red shirting him. Dcd thought I was the devil incarnate for suggesting that he wasn't ready.

I FILLED THE SPACE IN JUNE with an adorable 2yo who has been on my waiting list since Sept (when they SAID he was leaving for the K readiness summer program...which he now CANNOT ATTEND, because it's a school program).

UGH. JUST UGH!

So here comes an awkward chat. I am NOT keeping him another year. Why do they think I was suggesting UPK and EVERY PRE-K program in a 30 mile radius??

Among issues- not fully independent in the restroom. Has accidents outside 1-2x/month.

VERY poor impulse control.

Serious delays in fine motor skills (can now legibly write his name but it looks like a 3yo wrote it) Cannot use scissors, glue, cap markers.

Cannot follow 2 step directions.

No self help skills.

Poor social skills. Gets frustrated and resorts to grunting.

Problem is, I have his younger sib and we ADOOOOOOREEEEEEEEEEEEEE that child.
Reply With Quote
  #4326  
Old 04-09-2018, 09:58 AM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,044
Default

I have one that needs to go to school, totally ready but parents want to hold back. Not totally sure still why, well I am but it's not academic reasoning. So this child will be a year older than everyone in the class and a year ahead of everyone in the class. Going to be bored...........
__________________
Each day is a fresh start
Never look back on regrets
Live life to the fullest
We only get one shot at this!!
Reply With Quote
  #4327  
Old 04-09-2018, 10:05 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
I have one that needs to go to school, totally ready but parents want to hold back. Not totally sure still why, well I am but it's not academic reasoning. So this child will be a year older than everyone in the class and a year ahead of everyone in the class. Going to be bored...........
I was a year older than most my peers.
My kids were the same (late Fall birthdays)

I wasn't bored in school at all!
I personally think it's a HUGE boost for self-esteem!

I see starting school later than peers as a positive thing.
Any time parent's ask for my input, I always support holding back if there IS even an inkling of wondering if they should or shouldn't go.
Reply With Quote
  #4328  
Old 04-09-2018, 10:13 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I was a year older than most my peers.
My kids were the same (late Fall birthdays)

I wasn't bored in school at all!
I personally think it's a HUGE boost for self-esteem!

I see starting school later than peers as a positive thing.
Any time parent's ask for my input, I always support holding back if there IS even an inkling of wondering if they should or shouldn't go.
Mom started me in first grade when I was 4 (my birthday at that time barely made the cutoff in October and kindergarten wasn't going at that time)...so I graduated at 17....my own sons birthdays were Aug and Sept but I held them back for the very reasons you mentioned....the extra year makes so much difference for their future....
Reply With Quote
  #4329  
Old 04-09-2018, 10:23 AM
Miss A's Avatar
Miss A Miss A is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I was a year older than most my peers.
My kids were the same (late Fall birthdays)

I wasn't bored in school at all!
I personally think it's a HUGE boost for self-esteem!

I see starting school later than peers as a positive thing.
Any time parent's ask for my input, I always support holding back if there IS even an inkling of wondering if they should or shouldn't go.
My DS was born 10 days after the local school cutoff. Even if he had been born before, we still would have delayed him starting school. As it is, he will do 3 day preschool at 4, 4 day Jr. Kindergarten at 5, and full kindergarten at 6.

I am 100% in agreement with you on holding back if there is an inkling that it would benefit the child, or the simple fact alone that an extra year to grow socially and emotionally can make all the difference in a child's school success.
Reply With Quote
  #4330  
Old 04-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I was a year older than most my peers.
My kids were the same (late Fall birthdays)

I wasn't bored in school at all!
I personally think it's a HUGE boost for self-esteem!

I see starting school later than peers as a positive thing.
Any time parent's ask for my input, I always support holding back if there IS even an inkling of wondering if they should or shouldn't go.
By the time he starts kindergarten he will be 6 and four months. They want him to be able to go when a good friend goes so they can be in the same class. We only have two kindergarten classes and parents can request. These are the two the depend on each other for everything so I think holding him back isn't the best for this reason. I have no kiddo's his age for next year as all his age will be in school so the next child close to his age just turned four. He is very ready and I think it would be excellent for him to be around more than the kiddo's I have here.

My daughter turned 6 the month after starting kindergarten and was pretty bored as she was way ahead of the kid because she had been with me an extra year. Wasn't challenging for her and it actually started holding her back from learning because she had to wait for the other kids to catch up.
__________________
Each day is a fresh start
Never look back on regrets
Live life to the fullest
We only get one shot at this!!
Reply With Quote
  #4331  
Old 04-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
By the time he starts kindergarten he will be 6 and four months. They want him to be able to go when a good friend goes so they can be in the same class. We only have two kindergarten classes and parents can request. These are the two the depend on each other for everything so I think holding him back isn't the best for this reason. I have no kiddo's his age for next year as all his age will be in school so the next child close to his age just turned four. He is very ready and I think it would be excellent for him to be around more than the kiddo's I have here.

My daughter turned 6 the month after starting kindergarten and was pretty bored as she was way ahead of the kid because she had been with me an extra year. Wasn't challenging for her and it actually started holding her back from learning because she had to wait for the other kids to catch up.
The maturity is why I held back, not the learning. My nephew was able to skip first grade and go straight to second grade from kindergarten....about 4th grade, his parents regretted it but did not change it.he went to college at 17....now is 20 and we can still see the repercussions of making these decisions for him. He will be fine, but the first two years of college were extremely difficult for him not from a grade standpoint but a "ready for the situation, maturity" standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #4332  
Old 04-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

My DD is in a class with a girl who was held back. Girl has a July birthday and is nearly a full year older than DD (June Birthday). It hasn't held the girl back at all, she's top of the class, best athlete, etc. It has sucked for DD who has ADHD and, like it or not, is compared to Golden Girl. DD does well academically but her ADHD manifests in her maturity/emotional regulation. I WISH someone had suggested holding back DD. I didn't realize it was an option when their birthdays were that far from the cut off, which is Dec 1 in our State.
Reply With Quote
  #4333  
Old 04-09-2018, 12:04 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
The maturity is why I held back, not the learning. My nephew was able to skip first grade and go straight to second grade from kindergarten....about 4th grade, his parents regretted it but did not change it.he went to college at 17....now is 20 and we can still see the repercussions of making these decisions for him. He will be fine, but the first two years of college were extremely difficult for him not from a grade standpoint but a "ready for the situation, maturity" standpoint.
Yes!! School is about so much more than academics!
The social emotional aspect is a huge part of whether a child will succeed or fail in many areas of life!

If we can give them (the kids) the gift of time, we've done more for them than anything they learn in school will do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
By the time he starts kindergarten he will be 6 and four months. They want him to be able to go when a good friend goes so they can be in the same class. We only have two kindergarten classes and parents can request. These are the two the depend on each other for everything so I think holding him back isn't the best for this reason. I have no kiddo's his age for next year as all his age will be in school so the next child close to his age just turned four. He is very ready and I think it would be excellent for him to be around more than the kiddo's I have here.
But that sounds like a reason to hold him back.
Being dependent on someone else and/or not being able to function without each other isn't very healthy at all.

He doesn't need peers his age to mature.
He needs responsibility and the opportunity to think on his own and make his own decisions. He needs to have an opportunity to be in charge. Being the oldest in a mixed age groups helps build that skill in so many ways!

That is basically the foundation to Montessori education....the younger kids learn from the older kids and the older kids benefit tremendously from being the one to "lead" others.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
My daughter turned 6 the month after starting kindergarten and was pretty bored as she was way ahead of the kid because she had been with me an extra year. Wasn't challenging for her and it actually started holding her back from learning because she had to wait for the other kids to catch up.
I've never seen any evidence in regards to kids being bored and it hindering their ability to learn. If that was truly the case with your daughter, did they move her up a grade then or did she skip the next grade? Just curious as this is something being discussed in my current class and its a topic I find interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #4334  
Old 04-09-2018, 12:14 PM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Yes!! School is about so much more than academics!
The social emotional aspect is a huge part of whether a child will succeed or fail in many areas of life!

If we can give them (the kids) the gift of time, we've done more for them than anything they learn in school will do.




But that sounds like a reason to hold him back.
Being dependent on someone else and/or not being able to function without each other isn't very healthy at all.

He doesn't need peers his age to mature.
He needs responsibility and the opportunity to think on his own and make his own decisions. He needs to have an opportunity to be in charge. Being the oldest in a mixed age groups helps build that skill in so many ways!

That is basically the foundation to Montessori education....the younger kids learn from the older kids and the older kids benefit tremendously from being the one to "lead" others.




I've never seen any evidence in regards to kids being bored and it hindering their ability to learn. If that was truly the case with your daughter, did they move her up a grade then or did she skip the next grade? Just curious as this is something being discussed in my current class and its a topic I find interesting.
My brother was a child that could have been in school sooner than he should have. He was super bored because he was ahead of everyone else, so he got in trouble. It wasnt until about 5th grade my mom figured out the problem and he began taking harder courses in middle school so that way he would be more challenged.
He used to ask to go to the bathroom and pee all over the walls, start food fights, constantly goofing off.
Reply With Quote
  #4335  
Old 04-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
My brother was a child that could have been in school sooner than he should have. He was super bored because he was ahead of everyone else, so he got in trouble. It wasnt until about 5th grade my mom figured out the problem and he began taking harder courses in middle school so that way he would be more challenged.
He used to ask to go to the bathroom and pee all over the walls, start food fights, constantly goofing off.
Aw, thatís sad. Your poor brother.

It sounds like a huge gap between maturity level and intelligence level.

That is the gap that needs balance in most cases.
Reply With Quote
  #4336  
Old 04-09-2018, 12:20 PM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,495
Default

I have a late August birthday and school in my state used to start around the 20th of August. I started preschool at 3 and K at 4 turning the next age up within the first two weeks. I was the youngest in my class, there were kids that graduated a year behind me that were older than I was. I wish my mom had not started me so soon.
Reply With Quote
  #4337  
Old 04-09-2018, 01:07 PM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Aw, thatís sad. Your poor brother.

It sounds like a huge gap between maturity level and intelligence level.

That is the gap that needs balance in most cases.
He was very mature for his age, just when he was bored..he found a way not to be bored. To this day he is the most responsible person i know and ironically is afraid to get in any sort of trouble lol
He took honors and AP classes from then on out, graduated above 4.0. Double major in college.
Whenever my mom hears of a child misbehaving in school, she always likes to bring up "maybe they need to be challenged!" Lol
Reply With Quote
  #4338  
Old 04-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Yes!! School is about so much more than academics!
The social emotional aspect is a huge part of whether a child will succeed or fail in many areas of life!

If we can give them (the kids) the gift of time, we've done more for them than anything they learn in school will do.




But that sounds like a reason to hold him back.
Being dependent on someone else and/or not being able to function without each other isn't very healthy at all.

He doesn't need peers his age to mature.
He needs responsibility and the opportunity to think on his own and make his own decisions. He needs to have an opportunity to be in charge. Being the oldest in a mixed age groups helps build that skill in so many ways!

That is basically the foundation to Montessori education....the younger kids learn from the older kids and the older kids benefit tremendously from being the one to "lead" others.




I've never seen any evidence in regards to kids being bored and it hindering their ability to learn. If that was truly the case with your daughter, did they move her up a grade then or did she skip the next grade? Just curious as this is something being discussed in my current class and its a topic I find interesting.
Both kiddo's are totally fine when the other one isn't here. One of them wasn't here for one full week and I couldn't believe the change in the other child. Totally different kiddo, more mature, exploring more, doing things on their own, showing lots of independence.

No, our schools here don't move kiddo's up (not sure why). She did test for TAG in second grade and missed it by not knowing division yet. She was so upset when that happened. She did do a bit higher learning but I don't think she was learning to her full potential because there would be like four learning groups in one room (one teacher/one aide) and they couldn't move to fast because of the lower learners. She was also a very creative learner and one time in middle school (I believe) was told not to spend hours on a project because it would still be worth the same points. Way to squash the way a child learns.

Teachers will give children "Busy" work to keep them occupied if they finish sooner while the other children work. No real learning usually, just worksheets to do while waiting. I would like to maybe see them be able to work on a project or something creative to do.

If you are getting done with your work before others and have nothing to do, yes you will get bored. Then if you are always having to wait for others to catch up to where you are or not be able to move forward when ready, how is that helping you to learn? It creates lots of boredom for these kiddo's, then they get in trouble and sometimes are labeled trouble makers (my daughter never was thankfully) when they are just bored because they know the work, are done and ready to move on.
__________________
Each day is a fresh start
Never look back on regrets
Live life to the fullest
We only get one shot at this!!
Reply With Quote
  #4339  
Old 04-09-2018, 02:29 PM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
My brother was a child that could have been in school sooner than he should have. He was super bored because he was ahead of everyone else, so he got in trouble. It wasnt until about 5th grade my mom figured out the problem and he began taking harder courses in middle school so that way he would be more challenged.
He used to ask to go to the bathroom and pee all over the walls, start food fights, constantly goofing off.
This describes my daughter lol... instead of bathroom breaks she would draw or write poems after her work was done; I fought the school for 6 months to test her IQ @ age 9; turns out they wanted to classify her as special needs because they didn't have resources for gifted kids and they weren't willing to challenge her or let her skip a grade. I started homeschooling her after that fiasco.
Reply With Quote
  #4340  
Old 04-09-2018, 02:59 PM
TheMisplacedMidwestMom's Avatar
TheMisplacedMidwestMom TheMisplacedMidwestMom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 735
Default

The only kids napping this afternoon are my own.
Reply With Quote
  #4341  
Old 04-09-2018, 03:03 PM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
My first colonoscopy is scheduled for saturday. Not looking forward to it but one of those special things I get to do since I turned 50
The prep is a *****, but the procedure is fast.

My Dr gave me suprep instead of the gallon of the other stuff. It was drinkable. Stay as close to the bathroom as possible. I hope you took Friday off for the prep.
Reply With Quote
  #4342  
Old 04-09-2018, 03:25 PM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
The prep is a *****, but the procedure is fast.

My Dr gave me suprep instead of the gallon of the other stuff. It was drinkable. Stay as close to the bathroom as possible. I hope you took Friday off for the prep.
I had to drink that gallon of stuff-took me from 6 in the evening till 2 in the morning. When I started to throw it up because my stomach was so full, I quit drinking it but had almost the whole amount down.

A friend of mine went in and hadn't finished theirs and doctor was like nope, need to reschedule. Drove an hour away to have it done and wasn't able to because of not drinking enough.

Did you have to drink yours through out the day? I was able to start mine once all the kiddo's went home.

Doing it on a Saturday would be great because you wouldn't have to take anytime off from work! Never heard of that being an option.
__________________
Each day is a fresh start
Never look back on regrets
Live life to the fullest
We only get one shot at this!!
Reply With Quote
  #4343  
Old 04-09-2018, 03:33 PM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
I had to drink that gallon of stuff-took me from 6 in the evening till 2 in the morning. When I started to throw it up because my stomach was so full, I quit drinking it but had almost the whole amount down.

A friend of mine went in and hadn't finished theirs and doctor was like nope, need to reschedule. Drove an hour away to have it done and wasn't able to because of not drinking enough.

Did you have to drink yours through out the day? I was able to start mine once all the kiddo's went home.

Doing it on a Saturday would be great because you wouldn't have to take anytime off from work! Never heard of that being an option.

I had to drink the suprep with 32 ounces of water over an hour at 2 pm and again at 9 pm
Reply With Quote
  #4344  
Old 04-10-2018, 03:14 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Yesterday for the first time in a year, I had six kids in attendance. It was AWESOME. We were busy, the kids were able to choose different playmates if they weren't feeling the one they were with, etc. I have always loved having a full house as it usually makes the day so much better.

I had one parent express shock I had "so many!" and ask how many the State allowed I ran low last year due to having an influx of PT infants (including theirs) but that was the exception to the rule. Generally I try to have ALL spots filled so I can, you know, make a living.
Reply With Quote
  #4345  
Old 04-10-2018, 03:45 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
Yesterday for the first time in a year, I had six kids in attendance. It was AWESOME. We were busy, the kids were able to choose different playmates if they weren't feeling the one they were with, etc. I have always loved having a full house as it usually makes the day so much better.

I had one parent express shock I had "so many!" and ask how many the State allowed I ran low last year due to having an influx of PT infants (including theirs) but that was the exception to the rule. Generally I try to have ALL spots filled so I can, you know, make a living.
Yeah cause we all do this to be nice right. I hate when they talk about how much money it is or paying for vacation time. You are welcome to go somewhere else.
Reply With Quote
  #4346  
Old 04-10-2018, 05:09 AM
ChelseaB's Avatar
ChelseaB ChelseaB is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 226
Default

Ugh. Iíve asked and asked people over the years to make drop off as quick as possible since prolonging it is what usually gives kids the chance to act up. Of course, I have one DCP who sticks around EVERY morning and has to carefully unpack all of DCB toys and belongings out of his bag for him, even though heís screaming bloody murder if another child even comes near them. Which I make perfectly clear that:
1 - I prefer no personal items from home and am not responsible for them.
2 - I donít allow that behavior. Kids understand that if their possession becomes an item of conflict, it will be put right away. She even knows this is my rule, as sheíll remind him that if he doesnít share, Mrs. C will put them away. Okay....make me the bad guy, I really donít care.

She then hugs and kisses on him until he does start crying, saying he wants to go home. Which, she finally leaves after working him up. Then, I am forced to put every item right back away and correct his screaming (which obviously disturbs the other kids in care). Not that she cares about that. Ughhh. He is an only child, so he already struggles with sharing, etc. no matter how often I reiterate my rules, she still insists on THEIR routine.

Well, Iím about to force a new routine of ďBye-Bye OutsideĒ because my morning is busy enough without waiting 10 minutes for you to leave while giving snowflake treatment. This family is considering pre-k this fall and I hope they do. Theyíll be in for a serious wake up call, if they think I am strict.
Reply With Quote
  #4347  
Old 04-10-2018, 05:29 AM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 768
Default

Why is it when a child is sick, the first question parents ask "anyone at daycare have...?"
Like theres no other way a child can get sick
Plus this child has pink eye...literally so many situations can cause pink eye.
Nope no one here has it! Sorry DCP, blame is on you! Lol
Reply With Quote
  #4348  
Old 04-10-2018, 05:53 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
Why is it when a child is sick, the first question parents ask "anyone at daycare have...?"
Like theres no other way a child can get sick
Plus this child has pink eye...literally so many situations can cause pink eye.
Nope no one here has it! Sorry DCP, blame is on you! Lol
I try to turn it around on the parent.... and try to reply with something like"

"No! Thank you for keeping Johnny home today! I certainly don't want him to get anyone here sick."

or

"No, no one here is sick at all but thank you for the head's up now I can forewarn other parents as to what symptoms to watch for. Hopefully you didn't drag it home from the office and catch it too!"
Reply With Quote
  #4349  
Old 04-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Jdy2222's Avatar
Jdy2222 Jdy2222 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Gateway, Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 81
Default

Runny nose? Fever? Whining constantly when not being responded to immediately? Whining when frustrated? Not eating? Eating too much? Not napping? Napping a lot? Not sleeping at home? Excessive crying? Pulling at ear? Runny diapers?

Well, of course, it's teething.

Give me a stinking break.
Reply With Quote
  #4350  
Old 04-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Febby's Avatar
Febby Febby is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 484
Default

11 month old DD finally went down for her nap. The other infant has been asleep for about 2 hours and the rest of the group went down at 12 (and they all went straight to sleep!). Why does mine insist on being the difficult one?
Reply With Quote
  #4351  
Old 04-11-2018, 07:08 AM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 768
Default

Parent asked me last night if i could watch her child til 5:15 the next day. I close at 5. I said sure but you would have to pay the late fee of $15 and asked if that still worked. They said no, they will figure out something else.
....why would i work for free? Did you expect me to say sure but no extra charge?? What is with people? Do you think i have no life outside of your child? Especially this family drops off right when i open. Why yes i would love to work longer than 10hrs with no break -_-

I dont think parents understand the long hours we work, most of us get like what $3/hr?, AND we dont get a break during our work day. Nap time is not a break. We still have to be on site and on alert. Especially if you care for an infant. I would love to leave for an hour everyday to get lunch or run errands.
Reply With Quote
  #4352  
Old 04-11-2018, 07:11 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
Parent asked me last night if i could watch her child til 5:15 the next day. I close at 5. I said sure but you would have to pay the late fee of $15 and asked if that still worked. They said no, they will figure out something else.
....why would i work for free? Did you expect me to say sure but no extra charge?? What is with people? Do you think i have no life outside of your child? Especially this family drops off right when i open. Why yes i would love to work longer than 10hrs with no break -_-

I dont think parents understand the long hours we work, most of us get like what $3/hr?, AND we dont get a break during our work day. Nap time is not a break. We still have to be on site and on alert. Especially if you care for an infant. I would love to leave for an hour everyday to get lunch or run errands.
What?!

Don't you love their child??

Shame on you for making this about money.





I hear you...
Reply With Quote
  #4353  
Old 04-11-2018, 08:48 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

Parents and their indecisiveness!!!

I've had V for 3 years. Gave DCM statements saying she lived here to send V to local school over 2 months ago. I just asked where she signed her up for K. She said a neighboring town. V just told me she's going to summer camp. Thanks for letting me know.

A's dcm has a job doesn't have a job, will be here for summer, won't be here for summer, dcd gets visitation, dcd doesn't get visitation, brother will be here for summer, won't be here.

People make up your mind!
Reply With Quote
  #4354  
Old 04-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
Parent asked me last night if i could watch her child til 5:15 the next day. I close at 5. I said sure but you would have to pay the late fee of $15 and asked if that still worked. They said no, they will figure out something else.
....why would i work for free? Did you expect me to say sure but no extra charge?? What is with people? Do you think i have no life outside of your child? Especially this family drops off right when i open. Why yes i would love to work longer than 10hrs with no break -_-

I dont think parents understand the long hours we work, most of us get like what $3/hr?, AND we dont get a break during our work day. Nap time is not a break. We still have to be on site and on alert. Especially if you care for an infant. I would love to leave for an hour everyday to get lunch or run errands.
And you get the "it's *just* 10/15 minutes!" nonsense.
I'm tempted to keep my door locked in the morning and wait *just* 10 minutes before opening it.
Reply With Quote
  #4355  
Old 04-11-2018, 09:18 AM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,902
Default

DCB is here 2 days a week.

Thursday (4/5) DCD goes out of town because a sister in law passed away.

Monday DCB was present and mom texts me at 4:06pm, said DCD was still out of town and DCB would be picked up late. Thanked her for notifying me and reminded her of the $1/minute late fee after 5:00pm.

She never responded and was super icy when she picked up.

I get that their was a death on her husband's side of the family. But you had 4 days to figure your plan out. And you text me 1 hour before to let me know. Had I of been notified in advance, I likely would have let it slide. But not 1 hour before pick up. I was late for my OWN appointment that I made AFTER HOURS because you were late.

Oddly enough this is also a parent who I have had to enforce other rules with recently. ANYTIME I enforce any rule with anyone, they always start breaking other rules just to see what they can get away with. Even if they have been following the same rule for months and years. It's mind boggling.

Reply With Quote
  #4356  
Old 04-11-2018, 09:35 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
DCB is here 2 days a week.

Thursday (4/5) DCD goes out of town because a sister in law passed away.

Monday DCB was present and mom texts me at 4:06pm, said DCD was still out of town and DCB would be picked up late. Thanked her for notifying me and reminded her of the $1/minute late fee after 5:00pm.

She never responded and was super icy when she picked up.

I get that their was a death on her husband's side of the family. But you had 4 days to figure your plan out. And you text me 1 hour before to let me know. Had I of been notified in advance, I likely would have let it slide. But not 1 hour before pick up. I was late for my OWN appointment that I made AFTER HOURS because you were late.

Oddly enough this is also a parent who I have had to enforce other rules with recently. ANYTIME I enforce any rule with anyone, they always start breaking other rules just to see what they can get away with. Even if they have been following the same rule for months and years. It's mind boggling.

Same here! Then we are the bad guys!
I had a parent forget to pick up yesterday!!!
So the story is single dad has his parents helping him raise his daughter while he is in school and working.
He meets a girlfriend and now she is responsible for drop offs and pickups. Grandma usually picks up(is never late ever and she is commuting an hour plus). Girlfriend is scheduled to pick up yesterday and FORGOT!!!!
Grandpa rushes over and gets her within 20 minutes when the girlfriend doesn't show up. I gave him a warning and said next time I will charge late fees. How do you forget someone's kid? They also showed up with her on Monday when she isn't supposed to normally be here. Give me a break man!
Reply With Quote
  #4357  
Old 04-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 577
Default

DCB has been out since last Tuesday due to fever and persistent cough. Parents paid full time for 1 day last week and dad stopped by yesterday to pay (a day late) even though heís still sick. I asked if they were taking him to the doctor because heís going on a fever for a week now and dad replied ďwell I tried taking him to urgent care but they needed $100 co pay which i couldnít pay because Iím here paying youĒ 😱😱

My mouth dropped. And responded well you can take him to the ER and they donít require payment at the time of visit.

Why do people not have insurance for their children? I understand insurance is expensive, Iíve been a single mom barely scraping by but still made sure my child and I had insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #4358  
Old 04-11-2018, 09:49 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
DCB has been out since last Tuesday due to fever and persistent cough. Parents paid full time for 1 day last week and dad stopped by yesterday to pay (a day late) even though heís still sick. I asked if they were taking him to the doctor because heís going on a fever for a week now and dad replied ďwell I tried taking him to urgent care but they needed $100 co pay which i couldnít pay because Iím here paying youĒ 😱😱

My mouth dropped. And responded well you can take him to the ER and they donít require payment at the time of visit.

Why do people not have insurance for their children? I understand insurance is expensive, Iíve been a single mom barely scraping by but still made sure my child and I had insurance.
That is craziness. If its been over a week he is probably really sick and needs some type of medical attention.
Reply With Quote
  #4359  
Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 AM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg View Post
That is craziness. If its been over a week he is probably really sick and needs some type of medical attention.
Exactly! I just feel red flags all over it and I feel extremely bad for the boy. Iíve never been one to not take my child to a doctor if Iím unsure. But heís been sick for over a week now and definitely needs to be seen.
Reply With Quote
  #4360  
Old 04-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
DCB has been out since last Tuesday due to fever and persistent cough. Parents paid full time for 1 day last week and dad stopped by yesterday to pay (a day late) even though heís still sick. I asked if they were taking him to the doctor because heís going on a fever for a week now and dad replied ďwell I tried taking him to urgent care but they needed $100 co pay which i couldnít pay because Iím here paying youĒ 😱😱

My mouth dropped. And responded well you can take him to the ER and they donít require payment at the time of visit.

Why do people not have insurance for their children? I understand insurance is expensive, Iíve been a single mom barely scraping by but still made sure my child and I had insurance.
To the bolded quote I would have replied, "do you have cable, cell phone, internet....did you eat out this week, do you buy cigarettes, alcohol, etc..." That $100 could have come from many places, not just daycare. Years ago I would have melted with that comment about paying daycare, but not anymore. Parents should put their children first in many ways but quality daycare is a necessity if the parent is going to work
Reply With Quote
  #4361  
Old 04-11-2018, 10:22 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
To the bolded quote I would have replied, "do you have cable, cell phone, internet....did you eat out this week, do you buy cigarettes, alcohol, etc..." That $100 could have come from many places, not just daycare. Years ago I would have melted with that comment about paying daycare, but not anymore. Parents should put their children first in many ways but quality daycare is a necessity if the parent is going to work
Not to mention if he cannot afford insurance the child probably qualifies for federal insurance.probably just lazy.
Reply With Quote
  #4362  
Old 04-11-2018, 10:22 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
Yesterday for the first time in a year, I had six kids in attendance. It was AWESOME. We were busy, the kids were able to choose different playmates if they weren't feeling the one they were with, etc. I have always loved having a full house as it usually makes the day so much better.

I had one parent express shock I had "so many!" and ask how many the State allowed I ran low last year due to having an influx of PT infants (including theirs) but that was the exception to the rule. Generally I try to have ALL spots filled so I can, you know, make a living.
A family that started when I had 6, FREAKED the first day we were full as group (and they KNEW going in this was the plan). I just pointed to my license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
To the bolded quote I would have replied, "do you have cable, cell phone, internet....did you eat out this week, do you buy cigarettes, alcohol, etc..." That $100 could have come from many places, not just daycare. Years ago I would have melted with that comment about paying daycare, but not anymore. Parents should put their children first in many ways but quality daycare is a necessity if the parent is going to work
RIGHT! I find (especially in the US) that it's not actual lack of funds, it's mismanagement of funds that cause these issues. NOT having money to get your child health care is negligent. With proper medical treatment, dcb might have been healthy and able to return sooner.
Reply With Quote
  #4363  
Old 04-11-2018, 11:46 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

I'm just in a pissy mood today.

I've posted about dcg (2 y 5 m) that lives on milk bottles at home. If I'm lucky, she will eat 1 strawberry or 1 grape the whole day, nothing to drink. I sit her at the table for b, l ,pm snack. She just sits there and stares at her plate. A year ago she was the best eater, ate everything. Now, nothing. I hate fixing her plate just to throw away.
Reply With Quote
  #4364  
Old 04-11-2018, 12:00 PM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
I'm just in a pissy mood today.

I've posted about dcg (2 y 5 m) that lives on milk bottles at home. If I'm lucky, she will eat 1 strawberry or 1 grape the whole day, nothing to drink. I sit her at the table for b, l ,pm snack. She just sits there and stares at her plate. A year ago she was the best eater, ate everything. Now, nothing. I hate fixing her plate just to throw away.
I have one of those kids too but itís because the parents literally feed him junk and he wonít anything else. He lives off kool-aid, candy and gummy snacks.
Reply With Quote
  #4365  
Old 04-11-2018, 12:09 PM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
I have one of those kids too but itís because the parents literally feed him junk and he wonít anything else. He lives off kool-aid, candy and gummy snacks.
Yep, she walked in with a bag of potato chips the other day. I threw them away.
Reply With Quote
  #4366  
Old 04-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Miss A's Avatar
Miss A Miss A is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
I have one of those kids too but itís because the parents literally feed him junk and he wonít anything else. He lives off kool-aid, candy and gummy snacks.
My nephew is the same way. His mom gave him Kool-Aid and Hawaiian Punch in his baby bottles, fed him McDonald's French Fries every day, candy and chocolate pudding. He refuses all other foods, and when he was 2 she took him to be evaluated and he was diagnosed with SPD. I 100% believe this to not be an accurate diagnosis because when he would come to us for weekend to week long visits he would start off refusing to eat but by the end of the weekend he was eating what was served to him. He realized we weren't going to give in and give him junk. Now at 5, years of his mother's lazy parenting have destroyed his eating habits, he has fillings or caps on every baby tooth in his mouth, and his mom still believes he has an autisim spectrum disorder instead of stepping up and parenting.
Reply With Quote
  #4367  
Old 04-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss A View Post
My nephew is the same way. His mom gave him Kool-Aid and Hawaiian Punch in his baby bottles, fed him McDonald's French Fries every day, candy and chocolate pudding. He refuses all other foods, and when he was 2 she took him to be evaluated and he was diagnosed with SPD. I 100% believe this to not be an accurate diagnosis because when he would come to us for weekend to week long visits he would start off refusing to eat but by the end of the weekend he was eating what was served to him. He realized we weren't going to give in and give him junk. Now at 5, years of his mother's lazy parenting have destroyed his eating habits, he has fillings or caps on every baby tooth in his mouth, and his mom still believes he has an autisim spectrum disorder instead of stepping up and parenting.
That is the WORST kind of parenting. I have a few friends like that. One of my girlfriends had to take her son to the local childrenís hospital to be put out for dental work on his baby teeth. Like needed a root canal at the age of 5. He lives of Reese cups. My 8 and 4 year old have never had a cavity.
Reply With Quote
  #4368  
Old 04-12-2018, 06:16 AM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,495
Default

My vent is in the attachments.. SERIOUSLY Mother Nature it is APRIL. I am OVER this. We were predicted 8-12 last week but only ended up with 7 but STILL. This is our punishment for not having snow until practically the end of December.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C9ED0DBC-A44E-4BD3-AF4C-1DE079C6A015.jpeg (49.0 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4369  
Old 04-12-2018, 11:32 AM
gumdrops's Avatar
gumdrops gumdrops is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 180
Default

More of an annoyance than a vent, but why does DCM always tell me how sweet, cute, lovable, etc. her DCG is. I spend 10 hours/day with her, I know she's sweet, but she's no different than any other 1 yr old. She'll just stand there for a few minutes and stare at her as she's playing, like she's mesmerized by how "perfect" her she is. Btw: it's her 4th child, not her 1st! Drives me crazy!
Reply With Quote
  #4370  
Old 04-13-2018, 05:54 AM
Miss A's Avatar
Miss A Miss A is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookending View Post
My vent is in the attachments.. SERIOUSLY Mother Nature it is APRIL. I am OVER this. We were predicted 8-12 last week but only ended up with 7 but STILL. This is our punishment for not having snow until practically the end of December.
Tell me about It! It has either been freezing rain or snow every weekend in April so far, and this weekend is no different. We are currently experiencing 15 MPH winds along with the der, lightening, downloading rain and marble sized hail. Tonight it turns to snow, and tomorrow we alternate between freezing rain and snow into Sunday. Maybe by June it will be warm again 😔
Reply With Quote
  #4371  
Old 04-13-2018, 08:44 AM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg View Post
Same here! Then we are the bad guys!
I had a parent forget to pick up yesterday!!!
So the story is single dad has his parents helping him raise his daughter while he is in school and working.
He meets a girlfriend and now she is responsible for drop offs and pickups. Grandma usually picks up(is never late ever and she is commuting an hour plus). Girlfriend is scheduled to pick up yesterday and FORGOT!!!!
Grandpa rushes over and gets her within 20 minutes when the girlfriend doesn't show up. I gave him a warning and said next time I will charge late fees. How do you forget someone's kid? They also showed up with her on Monday when she isn't supposed to normally be here. Give me a break man!
Yup. Makes no sense to me. Family didn't pay late fee yesterday. I sent an email reminding them that it was due and child would not be able to attend until it is paid. It's so stupid that parents put us in the position in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #4372  
Old 04-13-2018, 09:07 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
Yup. Makes no sense to me. Family didn't pay late fee yesterday. I sent an email reminding them that it was due and child would not be able to attend until it is paid. It's so stupid that parents put us in the position in the first place.
And then we it ends badly because they get bent out of shape because you enforce their rules its your fault.
I cannot say how many times things got off track because parents didn't want to follow rules they been following or because they wanted "Special".
Reply With Quote
  #4373  
Old 04-13-2018, 09:16 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

What part of "This day care does NOT take children who have outgrown nap" is too hard to understand?!
Seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #4374  
Old 04-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
What part of "This day care does NOT take children who have outgrown nap" is too hard to understand?!
Seriously.
It's not hard to understand at all.
They just think it applies to everyone else and not them.
Reply With Quote
  #4375  
Old 04-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
It's not hard to understand at all.
They just think it applies to everyone else and not them.
I told him no "pad" for nap because he kept announcing he wasn't napping he was playing on his "pad" Um, nope.
Reply With Quote
  #4376  
Old 04-14-2018, 11:45 AM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,495
Default

Just me here.. venting about snow.. in the middle of April.. I know I live in WI but I have never seen this much snow at once in my lifetime. I live in the middle of the lovely white part..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FEB54380-617A-43AC-8D2F-F2E26062EFB7.jpeg (321.7 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4377  
Old 04-14-2018, 03:37 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookending View Post
My vent is in the attachments.. SERIOUSLY Mother Nature it is APRIL. I am OVER this. We were predicted 8-12 last week but only ended up with 7 but STILL. This is our punishment for not having snow until practically the end of December.
Sharing your vent right now. Last night rain. Tonight forecast of 6" of snow. WTH.

Oh wow, I won't complain. I just saw your 18-30"!!!!! I'll take the 6, thank you. Making snowmen on Monday?
Reply With Quote
  #4378  
Old 04-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

LICE!!!!! And the parents knew their daughter had them for 4 days before my dcg apparently left my house Thursday "crawling with lice". Only when I told them no-one here has had lice they owned up to their school aged dd had them but they thought dcg 2 had escaped them. Thanks for forking up my weekend and costing me $ 160.00 closing on Friday to start the cleaning process. Ugg I should charge them my income loss.
Reply With Quote
  #4379  
Old 04-14-2018, 06:47 PM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
Sharing your vent right now. Last night rain. Tonight forecast of 6" of snow. WTH.

Oh wow, I won't complain. I just saw your 18-30"!!!!! I'll take the 6, thank you. Making snowmen on Monday?
I am literally at the point where I would take the write up for not going outdoors on a day the temperature was fine... although if there were a licensing visit I doubt highly they would blame me as everyone is over this. I could barely plow my driveway and sidewalk this morning I didnít even attempt the paver patio/paths in the backyard where the kids play. I AM DONE. I donít know how much we got last night, it is hard to tell because the wind is ridiculous and the snow is all drifting but it took me 75 minutes to plow what usually takes 12 minutes for a normal snowfall. The rumblings on Facebook say we got 11 inches last night. We are supposed to be getting the worst of it tonight it just started snowing heavier about an hour ago after taking a break during daylight hours today. They say an additional 10 to 18 inches is possible according to my local weather stations latest post. I have never seen snow like this in my life. I mean itís Wisconsin we get a ton of snow but it usually comes in 3-6 inch spurts. I feel like I jinxed it because I recall saying something to the SIL of the ďI would love it if it snowed a crap ton just once because Iíve never seen that happenĒ. Although I said this in January when I was thinking how nice a few unexpected days off would be.. not in APRIL. This is most deff a storm for the record books.
Reply With Quote
  #4380  
Old 04-15-2018, 02:00 AM
lblanke's Avatar
lblanke lblanke is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: South
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
Why is it when a child is sick, the first question parents ask "anyone at daycare have...?"
Like theres no other way a child can get sick
Plus this child has pink eye...literally so many situations can cause pink eye.
Nope no one here has it! Sorry DCP, blame is on you! Lol
Because that is where their kids spend most of their time, and having this info might help with treatment. (Doctor may go with "allergies" over infection for respiratory symptoms, but if others are sick, in sequential order, may be more likely to treat with antibiotics.
Reply With Quote
  #4381  
Old 04-15-2018, 03:30 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookending View Post
I am literally at the point where I would take the write up for not going outdoors on a day the temperature was fine... although if there were a licensing visit I doubt highly they would blame me as everyone is over this. I could barely plow my driveway and sidewalk this morning I didn’t even attempt the paver patio/paths in the backyard where the kids play. I AM DONE. I don’t know how much we got last night, it is hard to tell because the wind is ridiculous and the snow is all drifting but it took me 75 minutes to plow what usually takes 12 minutes for a normal snowfall. The rumblings on Facebook say we got 11 inches last night. We are supposed to be getting the worst of it tonight it just started snowing heavier about an hour ago after taking a break during daylight hours today. They say an additional 10 to 18 inches is possible according to my local weather stations latest post. I have never seen snow like this in my life. I mean it’s Wisconsin we get a ton of snow but it usually comes in 3-6 inch spurts. I feel like I jinxed it because I recall saying something to the SIL of the “I would love it if it snowed a crap ton just once because I’ve never seen that happen”. Although I said this in January when I was thinking how nice a few unexpected days off would be.. not in APRIL. This is most deff a storm for the record books.
The snow gods heard you!! I went out with my dogs an hour ago and it had only snowed about an inch and wasn't doing anything so I was thinking cool, we didn't get the predicted 6". Well, now it's coming down like crazy. Unfortunately April can bring some bad snow.
Every day is one day closer to summer. Hang in there.
Reply With Quote
  #4382  
Old 04-15-2018, 06:41 AM
CeriBear's Avatar
CeriBear CeriBear is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 379
Default

DCB age 4.5 refuses to try and wipe himself after he poops. I try and encourage him to do it for himself and that I will check him afterwards to make sure he gets it all off but he cries and says his mommy or daddy always does it for him. Itís the same thing with wiping his nose too. He wonít even put on his shoes by himself and we are talking about a kid who is probably going to be going to kindergarten in the fall. Heís very smart cognitively and is otherwise well behaved. Itís just that mommy and daddy baby him so with things like dressing him and wiping his bottom and nose.
Reply With Quote
  #4383  
Old 04-15-2018, 01:56 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,892
Default

3 1/2 yo dcg says in a singsongy voice "I got something for you".
Me...What is it?
Sticking her finger out at me "A booger!!" As she wipes it on the table.
Ewwww. She's done it more than once and now whines/cries when I hustle her in to wash her hands.
Reply With Quote
  #4384  
Old 04-16-2018, 05:34 AM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 768
Default

2 ft of snow in yard, i dont care im not taking the kids outside today. I have 1 and 2 yr olds...im not listening to them cry the whole time because their stuck in the snow or their boot fell off. I had a child cry the whole time we were outside in 5 in of snow because he couldnt move...2ft..yeah right..
Reply With Quote
  #4385  
Old 04-16-2018, 06:53 AM
Second Home's Avatar
Second Home Second Home is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
I asked if they were taking him to the doctor because heís going on a fever for a week now and dad replied ďwell I tried taking him to urgent care but they needed $100 co pay which i couldnít pay because Iím here paying youĒ 😱😱

My mouth dropped. And responded well you can take him to the ER and they donít require payment at the time of visit.

Why do people not have insurance for their children? I understand insurance is expensive, Iíve been a single mom barely scraping by but still made sure my child and I had insurance.
They probably have insurance which is why they only have a $100 co-pay . The total bill is going to be probably at least $200 for an urgent care visit.
Reply With Quote
  #4386  
Old 04-16-2018, 07:02 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Home View Post
They probably have insurance which is why they only have a $100 co-pay . The total bill is going to be probably at least $200 for an urgent care visit.
I understand that medical costs are outrageous at times and that many people struggle to pay for medical care but I have serious issues with parents that don't or won't bring their child to the doctor when it's clear they need to go.

That co-pay is such a small price to pay considering that should a cold take a turn for the worse, the cost will be much higher.

Your child should be your priority over all else...including co-pays.
Reply With Quote
  #4387  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:54 AM
finsup's Avatar
finsup finsup is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,034
Default

Enforced sick policy... On my in laws Actually, I personally didn't but my husband did. They came into the house yesterday and MIL announces "oh I hope you don't have what we have! And then goes into symptoms. Fever, sweats, sore throat to not being able to eat or drink, non stop cough" and I'm sure my expression was just like are you kidding me?! My husband tells them both to leave, go rest and get to the doctor. Because at 82 and 84 with copd and diabetes, you really don't let stuff like this go on. Or spread it to your grandkids and very pregnant DIL. They laughed at him, said they weren't contagious he said no. You need to leave. Come back when you're better. They refused. He finally had to force them to talk outside as the kids were upset with the yelling (he always has to be loud they can't hear anything but the tone was different) and then upset because they wanted to see their grandparents and didn't understand why their dad was making them leave. I explained it of course (nicely) but they were still upset. So then FIL yells at my husband and says "well if we leave we're aren't coming back" and I'm just like seriously?! Just stay home if you're sick. We COULD complain that you come here every weekend, unnaccounced, and stay for a few hours but we don't. We just don't want you giving us/our kids whatever you have.

But yeah, this hasn't been there first lack of common sense thing that's come up. A few months ago they allowed my 3yr old to have as many vitamins (with iron) as she wanted (thank God she used some self control that day) and let both kids paint on their toys because they didn't want to say no. That was the last time we allowed them to watch them without us there. My oldest used to go to their house for the day (they live an hour away) but after they forgot to feed him lunch and got in their second car accident within a year (thankfully not with DS and they were fine but it's the 2nd car they've totaled) we had to stop doing those visits. Honestly the whole thing just stinks. They mean well, and love their grandkids and I WANT them to have a relationship with them. I actually do like these people and it's hard seeing them go downhill but not realize it themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #4388  
Old 04-17-2018, 05:38 AM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 768
Default

When parents text u about something after hours that is dumb and could have waited until they saw u the next day! Thanks for interrupting time with my family!
Reply With Quote
  #4389  
Old 04-17-2018, 09:29 AM
TheMisplacedMidwestMom's Avatar
TheMisplacedMidwestMom TheMisplacedMidwestMom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 735
Default

posted in the wrong place.
Reply With Quote
  #4390  
Old 04-17-2018, 02:24 PM
Miss A's Avatar
Miss A Miss A is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,006
Default

Screaming toddlers + putting on snow gear = one crabby Miss A. These kids are not made to do anything for themselves at home, and scream about having to do it here. I am SO ready for spring!
Reply With Quote
  #4391  
Old 04-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss A View Post
Screaming toddlers + putting on snow gear = one crabby Miss A. These kids are not made to do anything for themselves at home, and scream about having to do it here. I am SO ready for spring!
I have a 4 yo dcb whose mom and grandma will do it all for him. He asks me to take off his rubber slip off boots and I told him no, that he is very capable. So he asks the other 4yo to do it and she said no, you can do it. So he asks me again and when I said no, he said 'but I don't want to get my hands dirty'. Well, kiddo, you're the one that tromped all through the mud. Gimme a break. I also refuse to do the 3 yos' zippers now because they've proven to me that they can do it themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #4392  
Old 04-18-2018, 10:19 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,892
Default

Sending home a short note to everyone that rates will be going up $5 a week for all, the beginning of June. I've been working my way up to what the average rates seem to be locally, or what I thought they were. Then I saw a provider on FB this a.m. advertising $15 below what my new rates will be, PLUS sib discounts which make it $65 below!! She's charging 110 and 170 for an added sibling.Now I feel like pulling all those notes out of everybody's cubbies and forget about it.
Reply With Quote
  #4393  
Old 04-18-2018, 10:27 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
Sending home a short note to everyone that rates will be going up $5 a week for all, the beginning of June. I've been working my way up to what the average rates seem to be locally, or what I thought they were. Then I saw a provider on FB this a.m. advertising $15 below what my new rates will be, PLUS sib discounts which make it $65 below!! She's charging 110 and 170 for an added sibling.Now I feel like pulling all those notes out of everybody's cubbies and forget about it.
Don't do it! They won't all jump ship.Shoot none probably will. My rates are closer to center rates. Centers aren't real high in this area. The issue is there aren't many and most aren't very good. We have a real shortage here especially for infant care. I decided to charge what a center does IF I take any more infants. I see facebook ads of stay at home moms or newby daycares starting up for 15 a day. I am full with a waitlist. Do not let those lower prices bother you.She will either get burnt out at those rates or increase hers.
Reply With Quote
  #4394  
Old 04-18-2018, 12:27 PM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

I just received notice that I'm being bumped back to tier 2 after being on tier 1 for 5 years. Five years ago I had been seriously reconsidering the FP because I hate paper work and the $60 or $70 a month tier 2 brought in wasn't worth it. I got bumped and my checks went to $300-$400 a month. I'm not putting up with the FP nonsense for a measly $60. #sorrynotsorry
Reply With Quote
  #4395  
Old 04-18-2018, 12:32 PM
Miss A's Avatar
Miss A Miss A is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
Sending home a short note to everyone that rates will be going up $5 a week for all, the beginning of June. I've been working my way up to what the average rates seem to be locally, or what I thought they were. Then I saw a provider on FB this a.m. advertising $15 below what my new rates will be, PLUS sib discounts which make it $65 below!! She's charging 110 and 170 for an added sibling.Now I feel like pulling all those notes out of everybody's cubbies and forget about it.
In my rural area I have one of the highest in-home rates at $125/week. But, I am also one of the only providers that has a contract and policies, and charges a flat weekly fee vs. Hourly or daily. While I still hate when a spot opens up, I filled my last open spot in less than 3 days. A $5/week increase is broken down to only $1/day. Do not let those newbies and SAHMs discourage you from earning a living that a veteran provider deserves.
Reply With Quote
  #4396  
Old 04-18-2018, 12:41 PM
Miss A's Avatar
Miss A Miss A is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,006
Default

6+ inches of snow in the last 4 hours, and it looks like it will continue to snow heavily until 8PM, with 1-2 inch accumulation per hour. And if that isn't enough, it continues overnight with light snow, and an expected 1-4 additional inches on top of what we are currently getting hammered with.

I Have 1 DCB here today. Our entrance was drifted in due to heavy snow falling off the porch roof, I blazed a trains down the sidewalk that is quickly filling in again. Not sure how DCM will make it down my 1/4 mile driveway at 5PM, but she'll have to figure it out herself for choosing to stay at work all day when they forecasted 10 inches of heavy snow.

If you can't tell, I am just over the snow.
Reply With Quote
  #4397  
Old 04-19-2018, 03:46 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss A View Post
In my rural area I have one of the highest in-home rates at $125/week. But, I am also one of the only providers that has a contract and policies, and charges a flat weekly fee vs. Hourly or daily. While I still hate when a spot opens up, I filled my last open spot in less than 3 days. A $5/week increase is broken down to only $1/day. Do not let those newbies and SAHMs discourage you from earning a living that a veteran provider deserves.
Most likely there rates will increase or they will close. Super cheap care isn't reliable and only lasts a short while. If your families won't pay a 5 dollar increase then should probably go elsewhere anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #4398  
Old 04-19-2018, 04:55 AM
finsup's Avatar
finsup finsup is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,034
Default

Dcp, your 5 year old has no reason to wear cologne. My whole house stinks now because you thought it was funny that he "smells like a man." it's not. I'm *this* close to telling him to go take a shower it that strong *sigh. *
Today, half a day tomorrow and an afternoon later in the month then I'm done with the family. It can't come soon enough.
Reply With Quote
  #4399  
Old 04-19-2018, 05:27 AM
Miss A's Avatar
Miss A Miss A is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsup View Post
Dcp, your 5 year old has no reason to wear cologne. My whole house stinks now because you thought it was funny that he "smells like a man." it's not. I'm *this* close to telling him to go take a shower it that strong *sigh. *
Today, half a day tomorrow and an afternoon later in the month then I'm done with the family. It can't come soon enough.
I had a DCF that bought their 3 year old a collection of cologne because he wanted to use his dad's. Every single day he came I smelling like cologne. Seriously parents, he is 3. 3 year olds should still smell like baby wash and lotion for goodness sake! I was so happy when this guy moved on to preschool.
Reply With Quote
  #4400  
Old 04-19-2018, 08:32 AM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 577
Default

DCG 3 and her dirty looks drive me up the wall. Anytime you ask her to do something or ask her to stop doing something she immediately gives you attitude with a dirty look.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
social media, vent

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Positive Thread - What Happened That was GOOD Today? AfterSchoolMom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2152 03-18-2021 07:03 AM
Side Topic to Coin Recognition Thread - Time and Calendar spud912 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 07-29-2012 08:52 AM
Looking for an old thread Bookworm Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 04-25-2012 03:36 PM
Returned Check Thread Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 10-19-2010 05:59 PM
Venting Question? momofboys Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 08-30-2010 08:18 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:01 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming