Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:58 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Probably Ticked Off My Neighbor

So I have all 6 kids out this morning. I have 2 in the stroller. One is 8 months and 1 is 12 months. The 8 month old starts kinda whining. Which is nothing new lol. My nieghbor had stopped to talk to me for a minute and she says, Oh I'm gonna take him out and hold him for a minute and starts to unbuckle his straps. Suddenly "oh no you don't" came right out of my mouth lol. She stopped dead in her tracks. Then I"m like oh crap haha! I said, if you take him out and put him back in, he will be worse. She is kinda a little bit of a stuffy person, so I probably irritated her but geez.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:01 AM
Daycare.com Member

Lol well you canít go around picking up babies that donít belong to you.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
So I have all 6 kids out this morning. I have 2 in the stroller. One is 8 months and 1 is 12 months. The 8 month old starts kinda whining. Which is nothing new lol. My nieghbor had stopped to talk to me for a minute and she says, Oh I'm gonna take him out and hold him for a minute and starts to unbuckle his straps. Suddenly "oh no you don't" came right out of my mouth lol. She stopped dead in her tracks. Then I"m like oh crap haha! I said, if you take him out and put him back in, he will be worse. She is kinda a little bit of a stuffy person, so I probably irritated her but geez.
Yeah, I wouldn't even care. I find it tiresome when people who don't know the child assume they know what the child needs. I get it, whining is irritating and hard to listen to, but let's not teach them that whining is how they get what they want.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ac114 View Post
Lol well you canít go around picking up babies that donít belong to you.

And not to mention yes they are much worse when you do this. That is most likely why he was whining in the first place.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:12 AM
Daycare.com Member

I only feel bad because she's like one of "those" neighbors that is "upper crust" like if you know what I mean. I just knew that he would throw a tizzy if she held him for a minute and then put him back.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Daycare.com Member

Who is rude enough to just pick up a stranger's child. As in, it's not even YOUR child she is asking to hold.

I just....idk. People!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

What the heck?! This neighbour needs to be put in her place so good for you.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Unregistered

She should have asked first.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:13 AM
Unregistered

Reminds me of when my husband was laid off and he started interfering with the daycare. One day while we were outside, he came into the yard to take one of the kids to the park across the street to hit the ball around. Umm, no. I physically got between him and the child. My daycare child, my responsibility. My business, my decisions. Period.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Daycare.com Member

The kids are all sleeping, so I went to my mailbox and saw her. I said, sorry, didn't mean to be snippy but when you pull him out when he's crabby it will be worse when you put him back. She apologized and said she shouldn't have just tried to do that that she should have asked. So that was good she realized. I don't think she meant anything by it, but I think since we're in the biz, we get it. Good thing is she won't try it again lol
Old 04-20-2018, 11:54 AM
Daycare.com Member

"Oh no you don't" is an awesome knee-jerk response in this situation. You don't see her stepping in and interfering when there's a school group out on a field trip, do you?

Oh, I hope you don't. That would be bad.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:37 PM
Daycare.com Member

And what would happen liability wise if she happened to drop the kid or something? Just curious...
Old 04-23-2018, 07:41 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

In my state, you cant pick up an infant unless youve had AHT training. So i would just say that to someone who tried picking up a baby that wasnt theirs.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:55 PM
Unregistered

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
The kids are all sleeping, so I went to my mailbox and saw her. I said, sorry, didn't mean to be snippy but when you pull him out when he's crabby it will be worse when you put him back. She apologized and said she shouldn't have just tried to do that that she should have asked. So that was good she realized. I don't think she meant anything by it, but I think since we're in the biz, we get it. Good thing is she won't try it again lol
She was trying to help/do something nice. What do you think she might have possibly "meant by it"?
Old 04-24-2018, 07:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
She was trying to help/do something nice. What do you think she might have possibly "meant by it"?
We mean that she didn't MEAN to interfere with the child that was entrusted to the care of a skilled professional child care provider. We mean that it didn't occur to her that the parent of this child is not present and she should definitely not be taking this child out of their safety restraint and performing a little impromptu parenting of her own.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:23 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestle View Post
We mean that she didn't MEAN to interfere with the child that was entrusted to the care of a skilled professional child care provider. We mean that it didn't occur to her that the parent of this child is not present and she should definitely not be taking this child out of their safety restraint and performing a little impromptu parenting of her own.
Exactly, thank you Pestle!

Tags
neighbor issue