Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-21-2018, 07:06 AM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 768
Default Not Sure What To Do - Holding An Infant Spot

I have an infant opening and have been doing interviews. The first interview i did they got back to me within 5 min of leaving saying they wanted the spot. Originally i was going to wait to make a decision until I was done with all interviews but the age of the infant and the parents personality were great so i really wanted them. I told them they could have the spot but since they dont need care until end of august, they would have to pay a holding fee (which they thought was fair) and in order to officially hold the spot, they would need to pay it asap. They responded to my email but didnt acknowlege when they were planning on stopping by to pay me. Its been a few days and i have a couple more interviews for infants. I may end up liking the other people better and since they havent paid me a holding fee yet, is it alright for me to tell them i went with someone else? I think its strange that they knew i was doing more interviews but havent paid the holding fee yet. If i really loved a provider, i would make sure i held the spot.
After 4 families left me during my maternity leave (they decided they dont need summer care and will take the risk of loosing the spot), i realized i need to start making business decisions and not decisions with my heart. Everyone makes decisions on whats best for them and not on someone elses feelings so i need to do the same. I know i already told these people they could have the spot, but since they havent paid to hold it it technically isnt theirs. And the next interview i have also has a 2 yr old so i would rather take them.
Anyone been in the same position?? And how do i tell these people i went with someone else? (Assuming the other people want me)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2018, 07:13 AM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
I have an infant opening and have been doing interviews. The first interview i did they got back to me within 5 min of leaving saying they wanted the spot. Originally i was going to wait to make a decision until I was done with all interviews but the age of the infant and the parents personality were great so i really wanted them. I told them they could have the spot but since they dont need care until end of august, they would have to pay a holding fee (which they thought was fair) and in order to officially hold the spot, they would need to pay it asap. They responded to my email but didnt acknowlege when they were planning on stopping by to pay me. Its been a few days and i have a couple more interviews for infants. I may end up liking the other people better and since they havent paid me a holding fee yet, is it alright for me to tell them i went with someone else? I think its strange that they knew i was doing more interviews but havent paid the holding fee yet. If i really loved a provider, i would make sure i held the spot.
After 4 families left me during my maternity leave (they decided they dont need summer care and will take the risk of loosing the spot), i realized i need to start making business decisions and not decisions with my heart. Everyone makes decisions on whats best for them and not on someone elses feelings so i need to do the same. I know i already told these people they could have the spot, but since they havent paid to hold it it technically isnt theirs. And the next interview i have also has a 2 yr old so i would rather take them.
Anyone been in the same position?? And how do i tell these people i went with someone else? (Assuming the other people want me)
I tell people that until I have the enrollment fee in hand with signed paperwork, the spot is considered open.

It sounds like you've pretty much done the same.

I'm always in the camp of "do what works best for YOU." They (families) will, so should you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2018, 07:17 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,595
Default

Did you give them a specific deadline for payment and they missed it? If so, carry on without guilt. They made a choice.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2018, 07:21 AM
Laugh and Learn's Avatar
Laugh and Learn Laugh and Learn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 23
Default

If you would rather have the family with a two year old and infant and the other family hasnít given you your deposit, Thatís your chance to get the family that fills two spots. I feel everything happens for reason. Maybe thereís a reason they havenít sent you the deposit so you can take this other family.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2018, 07:23 AM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,151
Default

Unless you gave them a specific date to pay the holding fee, I would give them a courtesy email, something along the lines of "as discussed in our meeting, in order to secure your child's enrollment, you will need to pay the holding fee in the amount of $. Until that fee is paid, I will continue with interviews, and have several scheduled beginning today."

Sort of a poo or get off the pot email, if you will
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2018, 08:11 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAngels View Post
Unless you gave them a specific date to pay the holding fee, I would give them a courtesy email, something along the lines of "as discussed in our meeting, in order to secure your child's enrollment, you will need to pay the holding fee in the amount of $. Until that fee is paid, I will continue with interviews, and have several scheduled beginning today."

Sort of a poo or get off the pot email, if you will
This ^^

A courtesy e-mail is probably best if you didn't provide an actual pay by date other than just saying ASAP.

BUUT, I would state that you are interviewing others and since they have not contacted you in regards to paying the holding fee, you are planning on following through with these other interviews and then making YOUR final decision as to who you will/wont enroll and will be letting them know your decision by x date. (this takes the ball back from their court and puts it in yours)

Should they be the family you want to enroll (after your interviews are complete) you can then inform them they will need to be ready to pay the holding fee within 24 hours of being notified that you will be accepting them.

That ^ kind of gives them "notice" that you aren't messing around and that their failure to pay a holding fee has costs them first dibs on the space.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-2018, 08:32 AM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 768
Default

I didnt give a specific time frame, i basically said in order for the spot to be held, it has to be paid. So they should assume the spot is not held for them yet? I think im going to wait to contact them until after the interviews are over on wednesday and then give them 24hrs if another family is interested. A part of me wonders if they are still considering other daycares and thats why they havent made any comment about paying the fee. I feel awkward asking again for the money..lol
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-21-2018, 08:46 AM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
I didnt give a specific time frame, i basically said in order for the spot to be held, it has to be paid. So they should assume the spot is not held for them yet? I think im going to wait to contact them until after the interviews are over on wednesday and then give them 24hrs if another family is interested. A part of me wonders if they are still considering other daycares and thats why they havent made any comment about paying the fee. I feel awkward asking again for the money..lol
I would also wait until the interviews are over this week. If you like another family better offer them the spot and tell them they have 24 hours to confirm if they want it and pay the holding fee. Go to your second choice is your first choice declines.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-2018, 09:35 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
I didnt give a specific time frame, i basically said in order for the spot to be held, it has to be paid. So they should assume the spot is not held for them yet? I think im going to wait to contact them until after the interviews are over on wednesday and then give them 24hrs if another family is interested. A part of me wonders if they are still considering other daycares and thats why they havent made any comment about paying the fee. I feel awkward asking again for the money..lol
I had nearly this exact thing happen and I didn't do the courtesy email. This came back to bite me hard down the road. Send the reminder as the other poster said and give a firm deadline. Then if they don't do it you can move on with your head high.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-21-2018, 11:14 AM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,268
Default

I would send an e-mail now.I would say as' I have not received your deposit I will continue with interviews. I will let you know which family fits my program best.I will contact you on Friday and either offer the spot or offer a waiting list spot.' This way your letting them know that there procrastination has cost them the spot at this time,but could be offered again on Friday.Also if they except the spot I would give them a pay by date.Good luck.If you do not give a heads up they could send payment before you meet the other applicants.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-23-2018, 04:25 PM
MomBoss's Avatar
MomBoss MomBoss is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 768
Default

I love the people i just had an intervie with (sibling group). They were so easy to talk to and understoof everything in my policy. If they want to go with me, im deff taking them. The other family with the infant srill hasnt contacted me back about the holding fee, and its been a week since ive heard anything from them. I dont think i want them anymore. I rather tell them i went with someone else.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-24-2018, 04:12 AM
amberrose3dg's Avatar
amberrose3dg amberrose3dg is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
I love the people i just had an intervie with (sibling group). They were so easy to talk to and understoof everything in my policy. If they want to go with me, im deff taking them. The other family with the infant srill hasnt contacted me back about the holding fee, and its been a week since ive heard anything from them. I dont think i want them anymore. I rather tell them i went with someone else.
good for you. Infant spots are not easy to find. They must of not wanted or needed it that bad.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-24-2018, 07:34 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
I love the people i just had an intervie with (sibling group). They were so easy to talk to and understoof everything in my policy. If they want to go with me, im deff taking them. The other family with the infant srill hasnt contacted me back about the holding fee, and its been a week since ive heard anything from them. I dont think i want them anymore. I rather tell them i went with someone else.
Go with the family you love!

It sounds like the first family isn't in a hurry to secure a spot anyways. If they were (given the infant/toddler crisis here) they would have called by now or at the very least contacted you to double check the space is for sure theirs.

You snooze, you lose. They lost.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
holding a spot, infants, spot held

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Policy On Holding Spot for Baby On the Way Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 06-23-2016 05:20 AM
Holding a spot for a new sibling Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 05-20-2014 11:06 AM
Tough Situation, Holding A Spot, But Still Can't Guarantee? daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 05-03-2013 04:15 PM
Deposit To Hold A Spot For An Infant? 3girls Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 05-02-2012 11:38 AM
Spot Holding - Downpayment? Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 1 11-16-2008 03:18 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:15 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming