Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Emergency & Disaster Plan
baysmom 06:32 PM 09-25-2012
I'm in the process of getting licensed and in my state it is required to have an emergency & disaster plan. I have a template of questions that need to be answered to fulfill the plan. I know it sounds stupid because it's probably so simple to do, but I need some help getting mine done. To make the licensing go smooth, this is the template I'm using:
http://health.utah.gov/licensing/for...n%20Family.pdf

Anyone have a plan I can use to help me?
Meeko 07:37 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by baysmom:
I'm in the process of getting licensed and in my state it is required to have an emergency & disaster plan. I have a template of questions that need to be answered to fulfill the plan. I know it sounds stupid because it's probably so simple to do, but I need some help getting mine done. To make the licensing go smooth, this is the template I'm using:
http://health.utah.gov/licensing/for...n%20Family.pdf

Anyone have a plan I can use to help me?
HI! I'm in Utah too! I'm an oldy and been at this for eons.

My plan is VERY simple. You don't need to write a book. Mine are mostly one sentence answers!

What will you do in the case of an emergency? Call 911! In the case of fire? Mine states we will evacuate and call 911. Depending on weather, we will gather at the local LDS chapel. Keep it very simple, unless you feel like making it longer.

We recently changed locations and still had to license as if we were brand new . I copied my old template almost exactly!

Glad to see another Utahn here!
baysmom 08:29 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
HI! I'm in Utah too! I'm an oldy and been at this for eons.

My plan is VERY simple. You don't need to write a book. Mine are mostly one sentence answers!

What will you do in the case of an emergency? Call 911! In the case of fire? Mine states we will evacuate and call 911. Depending on weather, we will gather at the local LDS chapel. Keep it very simple, unless you feel like making it longer.

We recently changed locations and still had to license as if we were brand new . I copied my old template almost exactly!

Glad to see another Utahn here!
Awesome! Thanks so much, I was freaking out a little bit over this! How did you decide how much to charge and stuff? What city are you in? I'm in Layton. How long have you been doing this for?
Meeko 05:48 AM 09-26-2012
Awesome! Thanks so much, I was freaking out a little bit over this! How did you decide how much to charge and stuff? What city are you in? I'm in Layton. How long have you been doing this for?
I've been at this for 27 years now...16 of it in Utah. I'm in Utah County.

I keep on top of what others in the area are charging (many post their rates on KSL) and price accordingly. I am a little more than average, but feel I offer more. Nobody has ever balked at my rates (except those few who want lots but don't want to pay for it)

Utah is a great place to do daycare. Our licensing bureau is not quite so "Us Versus Them" as other states seem to be. Our licensing rules manuals are easier to understand and we are never surprised at inspection time because we have the same checklists available to us as the inspectors do. Karrie is always telling us "If it's not on the checklist, they can't write you up on it"

Try and get to Karrie Phillips rules trainings. They are free, fun and informative. She knows the regs inside and out and is a great source of info. Even after all these years, I still have questions every now and then. We just moved our location and I had questions about our pool etc. I must have called her 10 times. She's so happy to help. A total sweetheart. We passed our inspection with 100% compliance thanks to her answering my questions so thoroughly.

Her training classes also cover every topic you have to cover for training hours. She used to be a provider and knows exactly what it can be like with all the paperwork etc. Her number is on the licensing web site, along with her trainings schedule. The rules change and I feel I learn something from her classes every time. She makes them fun too......daycare "Jeopardy" is great fun! She comes armed with a basket of candy...what more could you ask LOL!

Welcome to the forum.....as you can see by my post count...I love it here!
baysmom 12:41 AM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I've been at this for 27 years now...16 of it in Utah. I'm in Utah County.

I keep on top of what others in the area are charging (many post their rates on KSL) and price accordingly. I am a little more than average, but feel I offer more. Nobody has ever balked at my rates (except those few who want lots but don't want to pay for it)

Utah is a great place to do daycare. Our licensing bureau is not quite so "Us Versus Them" as other states seem to be. Our licensing rules manuals are easier to understand and we are never surprised at inspection time because we have the same checklists available to us as the inspectors do. Karrie is always telling us "If it's not on the checklist, they can't write you up on it"

Try and get to Karrie Phillips rules trainings. They are free, fun and informative. She knows the regs inside and out and is a great source of info. Even after all these years, I still have questions every now and then. We just moved our location and I had questions about our pool etc. I must have called her 10 times. She's so happy to help. A total sweetheart. We passed our inspection with 100% compliance thanks to her answering my questions so thoroughly.

Her training classes also cover every topic you have to cover for training hours. She used to be a provider and knows exactly what it can be like with all the paperwork etc. Her number is on the licensing web site, along with her trainings schedule. The rules change and I feel I learn something from her classes every time. She makes them fun too......daycare "Jeopardy" is great fun! She comes armed with a basket of candy...what more could you ask LOL!

Welcome to the forum.....as you can see by my post count...I love it here!
Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I will have to look at all that info you gave me I'm sure it will be much help! My next question for you is... I saw on another forum about people charging higher rates for later pick up times. So 3PM would be 20 a day, 4PM 25 a day, etc.. Do you price that way? Do you know much about doing it that way? Do you have a website I can check out?! P.S. congrats on getting your new place opened up!
Meeko 05:16 AM 09-28-2012
Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I will have to look at all that info you gave me I'm sure it will be much help! My next question for you is... I saw on another forum about people charging higher rates for later pick up times. So 3PM would be 20 a day, 4PM 25 a day, etc.. Do you price that way? Do you know much about doing it that way? Do you have a website I can check out?! P.S. congrats on getting your new place opened up!
I PM'd you
Tags:disaster plan, emergency plan
Reply Up