Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Now It Makes Sense!!!
Country Kids 07:07 AM 12-02-2011
Talking to a parent yesterday (the one child that is a real handful at times-hits, spits, screams, just out of control) and asked what the child eats for breakfast. Just a gronola bar unless they wake up earlier than oatmeal but mainly just a gronola bar.

Well that explains alot to me!!! This child is probably wigging out because of low blood sugar (parent said siblings do also if sugar get to low).

I have all very wonderful parents and couldn't ask for better but seriously. Why can't parents get children up earlier to eat breakfast? When I worked outside the home, I had to get my child up at 4:30, get them ready fix breakfast, and do childcare by no later than 5:30. It broke my heart but I still did it!!!!

I don't currently offer breakfast because I feed all my children at like 6:00 and then clean up my kitchen. I really don't want to refix but I might start just so I know everyone gets a full tummy in the morning. I have a couple of others that bring their breakfast also, so I might as well do it for a couple more.

Parents are going to put together a breakfast basket for here for the child. I know it will be healthy because of how they eat when they eat a meal, so I will fix what they bring me for now.

It will be interesting to see if child changes their behavior with eating breakfast.
Unregistered 07:20 AM 12-02-2011
Are these kids diabetic? How do they know they have low blood sugar?

I often have only a granola bar for breakfast. Good grains and carbs....which raise blood sugar not lower it (well actually those kinds of foods even out and keep blood sugar levels nice and regular) so it kind of seems a bit odd that the parents would think the kids blood sugar is low simply because of eating a granola bar for breakfast ??
Cat Herder 07:28 AM 12-02-2011
Do you really want to start doing breakfast everyday, for everyone....from now on?
SimpleMom 07:32 AM 12-02-2011
I do breakfast, but for awhile I didn't and then I did do an early morning snack (9/930) and that helped a lot. I know what you're saying, Food and Rest is a must for good behavior. It's a great starting point.

But, yes, if you are currently done serving your own famliy by 630 or so, you may not want to reintroduce breakfast. That's a lot of work on your part and it can get really annoying. Might regret that one.
KBCsMommy 08:25 AM 12-02-2011
So the parents knowingly send their child to daycare with no breakfast?

Obviously they know that you dont serve breakfast and probaly dont have snack until 9 or 10. So they are sending their kid to daycare basically without without any food.

Bad mommy and daddy!!!

I hope his new breakfast will make your day better!!!
Unregistered 09:49 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

I often have only a granola bar for breakfast. Good grains and carbs....which raise blood sugar not lower it (well actually those kinds of foods even out and keep blood sugar levels nice and regular) so it kind of seems a bit odd that the parents would think the kids blood sugar is low simply because of eating a granola bar for breakfast ??
Check out the label. Granola bars are notoriously high in sugar. Everyone, not just diabetics, who consumes sugar has a spike in blood sugar then a drop. I am borderline hypoglycemic and there is no way I could eat a granola bar and then be expected to function for 3 hours. I would be grumpy and tired within 90 minutes.
Country Kids 09:22 PM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

We are just wondering if they have low blood sugar not for sure. The reason I'm thinking it is is because if they eat dinner at 6:00 and then nothing else till in the morning, then its only a granola bar and then we eat snack at say 9:45, its been about 15 almost 16 hours since the child had something in the their belly. Not good for anyone!
sharlan 09:57 PM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
We are just wondering if they have low blood sugar not for sure. The reason I'm thinking it is is because if they eat dinner at 6:00 and then nothing else till in the morning, then its only a granola bar and then we eat snack at say 9:45, its been about 15 almost 16 hours since the child had something in the their belly. Not good for anyone!
A granola bar can cause a spike followed by a sudden crash in blood sugar. Some really have a lot of sugar in them.
Tags:breakfast - not included, diet, parental life choices, parental responsibility
Reply Up