Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vent: Feeling Very Down Today. Child Is Sick. Again
SunshineMama 06:54 AM 02-24-2012
Yesterday, dcb started sneezing about twice an hour. Today, he is still sneezing, but now the constant, clear runny nose is here again. I'm sure it's just another minor cold, but he has been sick almost every week he has been here, for the past four months. My sick policy allows minor colds, but at what point do I put my foot down and say that if a child has a minor cold EVERY week something else must be done? These parents can't keep him home every time he is sick or they will lose their jobs. I like the parents, and they always pay on time. Other than being sick, this child is seriously one of the easiest dcb's ever.

Last week it was diaharrea, which my 1 year old caught, as well as myself. The week before it was a sinus infection. Before that it was another cold. Diaharrea the week before that. Rotovirus. And on and on. My children, husband, and I catch something from him at least every other week or so, on average. The parents are completely clueless. Completely. Honestly I don't think they are around him enough to even know when he is sick.

I am just not sure that I can take it anymore. I am sick of going nuts cleaning, only to get sick anyway. I am sick of having to cut my playroom in half and section it off so this child is not getting everyone else sick. I am tired of being sneezed on in the face, and having to wipe his nose. I know that occasionally that comes with the job, but not every freaking day from the same kid. I am not a nurse. Before this child came, none of my daycare kids or own children ever got sick.

DH is up for his third interview next week, for a job that will pay enough so that I do not have to continue to do daycare if I choose. (I think I will still keep one of the kiddos because I love him so much and he and my dd are best friends). I am afraid that DH will get sick again before his interview from this kid and may not be on top of his game for this final interview. I know worrying is pointless, but omg... for the chance to just have the opportunity to be a SAHM and focus on my own little children.... that is my dream.

I dont want to term because other than the sickness the child is well behaved, a good sleeper, a nice child, and very easy to care for. The problem is that I cannot bond with this child due to the constant sickness. I just don't feel it, and I have to fake it every time. All of my instincts tell me to grab my own children and stay as far away from this child as possible to keep myself and them healthy. I feel like every time I look at him I have to fake a smile and just do my job. I always hug all of my daycare kids and play with them and give them special attention at naptime, but I just don't want to hug this child or get too close when he is sick... which is all the time.

Would you keep or term?

Sorry for the long vent. I had to get those feelings out so I can go about my day. Sigh. I don't know what I am going to do. Probably just pray and pray and pray that DH gets this job so I can give a 2 week notice. Don't know what else to do.
SunshineMama 06:56 AM 02-24-2012
The parents are taking him to Chicago this weekend for the next few days. All I can think about is what germs he's going to pick up there and bring back here
LittleD 10:18 AM 02-24-2012
I feel your pain! My one dcg has been sick with something or other since she started in Sept. All 3 of my daycare babies have had non-stop runny noses for weeks!!
Its that time of year, and hopefully the weather will be nice soon and the colds will go away.
Terming is a personal decision. how long have you had the child? How old is he? I would love to have a illness free house, but it's not realistic.
For toys, throw them in the tub with a bleach and water solution, let them soak for 30+ mins, (stir them around every ten mins) drain tub and rinse with shower head. Scrub only the ones that need scrubbing. And do your basic disinfecting. You shouldn't have to be going overboard. Most illnesses are air borne.
Ask the parents to make sure he is washing his hands before he eats at home, let them know it will cut down the amount of germs he's ingesting. Some parents don't care about hand washing I've seen it. And it really does make a difference I find!
countrymom 10:29 AM 02-24-2012
I have a girl like this too, but no one is sick in my house except this girl. She is always sick (she turns 1 tommorrow) but on tues. I had to send her home because she was so hysterical that I couldn't calm her down and neither could her dad. Dr. said it was a cold, but I think something else is going on. Today, around 11am she started to do it again, then it dawned on me, they are medicating her at home and its wearing off.
KDC 10:41 AM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
The parents are taking him to Chicago this weekend for the next few days. All I can think about is what germs he's going to pick up there and bring back here
I hear ya, I am in the same situation... by the way -- Chicagoland pediatricians have been bombarded with this respiratory virus, my 'sick' dcb brought it into my daycare and now my whole daycare and family are sick. This DCK has been wearing the SAME socks for 4 days, greasy hair, dried boogers on his poor little face, and has his PJ's on today (he's 2) because his dad said he was a pill and didn't feel like dealing with him this morning. These people have $$, so it's just lazy parenting - Joy! Best of luck to your DH on his interview
SunshineMama 10:54 AM 02-24-2012
He's a young 1, still a crawler, and mouthing everything, so it makes it extra hard. Sigh. Thanks for letting me vent!

KDC Thanks for the well wishes! I hope he gets the job
saved4always 09:00 PM 02-24-2012
I totally feel for you. I also have a child that is constantly sick. Runny nose every other week since September. It stinks because she is the most lovable little girl and loves to cuddle. But, every other week I am just repelled by all the boogs. Then, of course, the other kids get it, too. I go crazy wiping things down but they all put the toys in thier mouths, so it is a losing battle. I have seen one child put a toy in his/her mouth and then hand it to another who stick in thier own mouth. I dream of the day that there are no boogers on my couch.
nannyde 05:18 AM 02-25-2012
I had a kid that was like this when my son was a baby. He was the same age as my son.

I ended up setting up his own play yard in the main play room and did not allow him out to play unless he made it TWO consequtive weeks without being sick. Unfortunately that only happened a couple of times a year.

He brought in all kinds of respiratory illness and rotavirus. He had all the kids sick constantly. His Mom had him half time and she would not finish his medicines. Once I separated him the whole cycle stopped. He had his own space and his own toys. He had his own high chair too. We just stopped sharing anything but air with him and the sicknesses just stopped.
saved4always 06:04 AM 02-25-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I had a kid that was like this when my son was a baby. He was the same age as my son.

I ended up setting up his own play yard in the main play room and did not allow him out to play unless he made it TWO consequtive weeks without being sick. Unfortunately that only happened a couple of times a year.

He brought in all kinds of respiratory illness and rotavirus. He had all the kids sick constantly. His Mom had him half time and she would not finish his medicines. Once I separated him the whole cycle stopped. He had his own space and his own toys. He had his own high chair too. We just stopped sharing anything but air with him and the sicknesses just stopped.
It is that awful toy sharing that spreads all the germs! I wish I could do this. But, I only have the 3 kids I watch and the others would just keep visiting whoever is sick. I could see them throwing toys to the child in the play yard. I am beginning to wonder if the little girl I watch has allergies or something more going on.
momma2girls 03:35 PM 02-25-2012
When anyone is sick here, I put up all the smaller toys that the toddlers and infants suck on up- I only leave the larger books and toys, that they don't put in their mouths.
Unregistered 10:37 AM 02-29-2012
I am so glad my kid doesn't go to your daycare. To say you are sick of wiping the kid's nose? You shouldn't be running a daycare at all. Poor little boy.
Tags:sickness, vent
Reply Up