Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Justice For Bryce Mosier
NiNi.R. 11:51 AM 10-27-2012
A long/sad read but certainly anyone can learn a lesson from this. This death happened six month before Lexie's law was in place moving our safety ranking from the bottom to the third safest in the U.S.

http://www.kansas.com/2012/10/27/254...n-against.html

The facebook page that parents are using to get information on their son:
http://www.facebook.com/JusticeForBryceMosier
nanglgrl 07:04 PM 10-27-2012
This is incredibly sad. I feel for the parents, I really do but their child could have still died of SIDS if he had been placed on his back. Placing babies to sleep on their backs HELPS prevent SIDS but does not prevent it entirely. There are also other things such as smoking, room temperature and using a pacifier that help prevent SIDS deaths, do we prosecute providers if the room temperature is too warm or if they forget to give the baby their pacifier? Do we prosecute the parents if they smoke?
I understand that placing an infant on it's back has been determined to be the best ways to prevent SIDS but children still die this way and unfortunately we still don't know what causes it. Children have died of SIDS in doctor's arms for goodness sake.
Infants usually start to roll over at about 4-5 months, this child died at 5 months. Was he already rolling over? It doesn't seem like the provider is protesting that she put the child on it's stomach but she is saying the parent's told her that is how the child slept at home. It could be that the provider is lying to save skin but it's also just as likely that the parent's are experiencing a tremendous amount of grief and don't want to admit that their child slept on it's stomach at home.
If it is in fact true that the parent's specifically said to place the infant on it's back and not it's stomach and then they witnessed their infant sleeping on it's stomach I can't see why they would have taken their child back to the daycare. They also stated that the child developed a bad diaper rash when they first started using the provider but they still took the child back. If they did so because of horrible need I understand but their guilt is causing them to ruin another person's life.
It was stated several times that Kansas did not have safe sleep laws before this happened so I find it ridiculous that the provider could be prosecuted and have her license revoked for following a rule that had not yet been established. I understand civil litigation in this case but again it would be a he said/she said about the child's sleeping position at home.
When my 19 year old was a baby we were told to place them on their sides and stomach so they would not choke on vomit or spit up, I wonder if this provider was using the same advice she had heard in the past?
When a child dies it's so emotional..there is no words for it. People who don't know you come out of the woodwork in support because it is the worst tragedy when an innocent baby dies for unknown reasons. There are too many questions that we will never know the true answers to so I'm not going to help ruin another person's life because of my emotions.
NiNi.R. 08:27 PM 10-27-2012
I have very mixed feeling about it all. The parents should have followed their gut if they did in fact feel like their child wasn't receiving adequate care. I also had the same thought about the child being 5 months and rather or not their child was rolling over at the time.

That being even though Kansas providers at the time did not have to attend safe sleep class, they were still required to sign a statement saying the agreed to follow the safe sleep guidelines. Before Lexie's Law it was also required that a child be checked in on every 15 minutes. I know this because I am a Kansas childcare provider. She didn't check on her til nearly 2 hours after she had gone to sleep!

Also, what bothers me are the list of previous reports that were made against her prior. Including the one of her leaving a child in a 100 degree car while she attended a garage sale. As a result of Lexie's Law these have also became public. You may look up any Kansas providers infractions on the internet.

I don't know that this woman should be prosecuted for the child's death or even if all the things I'm reading are true. (I tried looking on the site but it kept crashing..my guess is everyone had the same thought I did) but I am baffled by the system a little bit. The story I read today as well as other Kansas childcare death stories got me thinking.

I follow the guidelines for several reasons:
1: For the safety of the children
2: It's the law
and
3: I've always been under the impression if you don't it could result in a revoked license.

It just seems to me that it takes A LOT to get a licensed revoked. I'd like to know how far the envelope has to be pushed before that happens. Doesn't really seem like a risk that should be taken with children. After talking about it all with my husband we got to thinking that maybe infractions should be separated into minor/majors. Once you have had to correct lets say 3 majors then you strike out...license revoked. Now obviously, parents can make false accusations, etc. So I'm sure that's a seriously flawed idea but you get what I'm saying.

There is a lot everyone can take away from this. Parents need to follow their gut and if they believe their child is being neglected they need to remove their child right away. Providers must must do their best to follow all guidelines in place to keep children safe
MyAngels 08:38 PM 10-27-2012
I think this is a tragic story, particularly if what is written on the facebook page is true, but I would be worried about the legal ramifications of what they are doing.

If anything they've written is not accurate, could they be committing libel?

If the case has already been adjudicated by the state could this be construed as harrassment?

What happened to their child is so terrible, and I just hope that they don't end up in trouble themselves.
DCBlessings27 08:20 AM 10-28-2012
I love that the Mosier's are getting their story out to so many people. It is a tragic story, and I am sure they blame themselves for taking Bryce back to that provider. However, it's bringing attention to Kansas and its flaws. We may have moved up to the top ranking for daycares, but we still have plenty of issues.

The provider has numerous complaints listed, yet she's still been allowed to have a license. While it may not have been part of regulations yet that we as KS providers must have taken a Safe Sleep/SIDs class, Karin was in violation of regulations when she placed Bryce on his stomach on a folded blanket.

Before the new regulations came out, it was a regulation that infants were only supposed to be placed in a pack n play or crib. She was violating that regulation when the mom found her baby on a folded blanket.

I have decided that it must be nearly impossible to revoke a provider's license in KS. Besides the provider in this case, the state of KS gave a license back to a provider who admitted to spanking and to putting sand in kids' mouths as a punishment. I am so shocked that someone can still be in business after admitting to this. I hope the Mosier's can get enough attention to make the state start revoking licenses of people such as these providers.
Tags:article
Reply Up