Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 AM
KDC's Avatar
KDC KDC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 555
Default Should I Tell Her To Keep Him Home?

I have a 17 month DCB who's had a nasty cold the past week. She sends me a text today "Hi taking DCB to the doctors this morning. They think he has a sinus infection. Will drop him off after."

He doesn't come on Thursdays, but he woke up from nap time on Wednesday with his eye glued shut with boogers.

Should I just reply that he's probably too sick for daycare?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:29 AM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

I would just say: due to the fact that dcb had goopy eyes and now has come down with other symptoms I will need a dr note stating he is not contagious and is fit for dc. Also I would like to remind you dcb needs to be fever free w o medication and able to participate fully in activities in order to attend regardless of a dr note.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

If a child is ill enough to warrant a doctor's visit, he would be excluded from care.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
If a child is ill enough to warrant a doctor's visit, he would be excluded from care.
I don't exclude for ear infections unless they are miserable ...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 AM
CedarCreek's Avatar
CedarCreek CedarCreek is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie71 View Post
I don't exclude for ear infections unless they are miserable ...
Ear infections usually come with fever. Do you not exclude for that?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie71 View Post
I don't exclude for ear infections unless they are miserable ...
But OP said sinus infection.... that could be contagious depending..

As for ear infections, I don't exclude for that either unless accompanied by a fever.

However, if a child is feeling bad enough due to whatever ailment they have that a doctor's visit is needed, I wouldn't allow the parent to bring them to care afterwards...they need to go home and rest.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I would text her back and say...... Hopefully DCK is in a much better state than Wednesday. IF not, please be sure to keep him home today after his appointment. Also, please don't forget that if he should be prescribed any medications that you will need for me to administer, I will need a doctors diagnosis with treatment plan. I hope that all goes well and that DCK starts feeling better.......
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-26-2013, 09:24 AM
NeedaVaca's Avatar
NeedaVaca NeedaVaca is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Middle
Posts: 2,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
If a child is ill enough to warrant a doctor's visit, he would be excluded from care.
This is what I do, if they are sick enough that they are going to the Dr. they need to stay home.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-26-2013, 10:18 AM
KDC's Avatar
KDC KDC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 555
Default

He's here. He's my only DCK today, and I said upon arrival that if he's irritable at all I will call her for a pick-up. This is a cold that has cycled through the daycare and I've done nothing but clean, and then clean some more. I'm hoping this is the last of it.

They took him to the Dr. then grabbed the antibiotics for an ear/sinus infection. He's doing surprisingly good, even with a ruined morning nap. I'm hoping to feed him and have him take a good nap.

If he doesn't take a normal nap, or is excessively clingy I will call Mom for a pick up.

Thanks for your help ladies. I was trying to weigh out if I was just being selfish (wanting to spend the day with just my family, vs. caring for a cranky infant all day due to illness) I chose to care for him, but if he needs Mom, I'll call. There are no other kids that I need to protect as my kids had this same cold (just a lighter version as they're older and used to the germs, lol!)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Children should be on an antibiotic for at least 24 hours to cut the risk of exposure.He should have stayed home. Do you have an illness policy? There are alot of providers on here that would be more than happy to send you their policy.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-26-2013, 02:08 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Children should be on an antibiotic for at least 24 hours to cut the risk of exposure.He should have stayed home. Do you have an illness policy? There are alot of providers on here that would be more than happy to send you their policy.
Very true plus the possibilities of an allergic reaction. I forgot about that.
I have in my policies that the child must be on antibiotics for a full 24 hours before they can return to care.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDC View Post
He's here. He's my only DCK today, and I said upon arrival that if he's irritable at all I will call her for a pick-up. This is a cold that has cycled through the daycare and I've done nothing but clean, and then clean some more. I'm hoping this is the last of it.

They took him to the Dr. then grabbed the antibiotics for an ear/sinus infection. He's doing surprisingly good, even with a ruined morning nap. I'm hoping to feed him and have him take a good nap.

If he doesn't take a normal nap, or is excessively clingy I will call Mom for a pick up.

Thanks for your help ladies. I was trying to weigh out if I was just being selfish (wanting to spend the day with just my family, vs. caring for a cranky infant all day due to illness) I chose to care for him, but if he needs Mom, I'll call. There are no other kids that I need to protect as my kids had this same cold (just a lighter version as they're older and used to the germs, lol!)
This is what I probably would have done. Given the circumstances.

I have had very few dck (including my own) run a fever for ear inf. I know some do... Yes I would exclude for the fever.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
But OP said sinus infection.... that could be contagious depending..

As for ear infections, I don't exclude for that either unless accompanied by a fever.

However, if a child is feeling bad enough due to whatever ailment they have that a doctor's visit is needed, I wouldn't allow the parent to bring them to care afterwards...they need to go home and rest.
I hear what you are saying...
Yes- that is why I suggested a dr note for contagiousness.
Overall exclusion would have depended on diagnosis and reason for bringing to the dr for ME tho.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sick policy, sinus infection

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting A Home Daycare That's Not In Your Home... CAPA Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 01-04-2013 10:48 AM
Switching From A Church Daycare To Home Daycare Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 7 12-03-2012 09:50 AM
Laundry's Contract (Three Parts) laundryduchess@yahoo.com Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 02-02-2010 01:10 PM
Home Daycare Software Katie Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 02-17-2009 02:25 PM
When Applying For Licensing, Who Determines If It Is A "Facility" Or Home Child Care? rjc9558 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 02-13-2008 07:03 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming