Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 AM
SunshineMama's Avatar
SunshineMama SunshineMama is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Legally unlicensed state
Posts: 1,576
Default Dear Parents

Dear Parents,

Today, ALL of you brought your children to my home. ALL of them were sick, whiny, and miserable, and you ALL knew it. One of you even tried to call it allergies. That was special...

Yes, it externally appears to be only a runny nose, but your little darling's runny nose gets slimed all over their hands and faces, and my house...multiply that by everyone. Thats just plain nasty. All that crying and whining is because your poor child is too sick to play and enjoy life;
your 4 year old isnt teething. And guess what? You got my baby sick now, so most of my attention will be focused on comforting my child, because thats my # 1 job as a mom.

So I will be closed for the next 2 days, to take care of my child, and sanitize my home. And while you are at home, doing what you should have been doing in the first place, think about how you would feel, and what you would think about me if I dropped my whiny, sick, slimy nosed baby off at your house, called it allergies, and then left for 10 hours.

Sincerely,

"The Babysitter" (we can talk about that special title later...but the point is, it does not say nurse"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Zoe's Avatar
Zoe Zoe is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,442
Default

Amen. This was my day yesterday.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Brooksie's Avatar
Brooksie Brooksie is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 1,317
Default

This has been my past 2 weeks 3 are finally better and the boy I sent home last week is back today 100%, but the littlest guy I have got sick from all this and is now being kept home today after he was MISERABLE yesterday (had to hold him for over an hour because he screamed and cried if I put him down) Mom dropped him off claiming allergies. Hopefully this is the end of this round, although TIS the season!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 AM
caregiver's Avatar
caregiver caregiver is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 257
Default

These are my DCP also. Runny noses, fever here, but says they have no fever at home, but just teething or allergies. I also have a set of parents that makes me feel guilty if I call them at work to come pick up their child because they are not feeling good telling me that they have no more PTO and can't take time off from work,and have no one else to come pick the child up. Then will tell me that one of them will TRY to get off a little early to come get their child, but that could be only half an hour before regular pickup time.
Also I hate(sorry for changing the subject here a little bit)but when parents don't dress their child for the weather,like wearing a sundress when the temp is only 50 degrees and coming with no jacket or sweater and the poor child is so cold and then they wonder why their child got a cold! Or coming in sandals, no socks when it is in the 40's which has happened here and their little feet are so cold also. Where did common sense go these days......there is non! Sorry for the rant, I just feel for the kids.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 AM
SunshineMama's Avatar
SunshineMama SunshineMama is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Legally unlicensed state
Posts: 1,576
Default

Its awful really. I understand not being able to take time off, but its hard to have empathy for parents who use all of their vacation days up in the first half of the year with kids in daycare. Im over it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 AM
caregiver's Avatar
caregiver caregiver is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMama View Post
Its awful really. I understand not being able to take time off, but its hard to have empathy for parents who use all of their vacation days up in the first half of the year with kids in daycare. Im over it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2013, 10:40 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMama View Post
Its awful really. I understand not being able to take time off, but its hard to have empathy for parents who use all of their vacation days up in the first half of the year with kids in daycare. Im over it.
I sent home a kid last week for diarrhea. The dcp's were VERY upset because they had no more PTO. Well, you took 3 weeks off over spring/summer. Dck was here. PLAN AHEAD!


As part of my daily health checks, I now take temperatures upon arrival. Anything over 100 doesn't get past the door. I have sent home 2 kids in the past few months that 'failed' the temp 'test'.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by care giver View Post
These are my DCP also. Runny noses, fever here, but says they have no fever at home, but just teething or allergies. I also have a set of parents that makes me feel guilty if I call them at work to come pick up their child because they are not feeling good telling me that they have no more PTO and can't take time off from work,and have no one else to come pick the child up. Then will tell me that one of them will TRY to get off a little early to come get their child, but that could be only half an hour before regular pickup time.
Also I hate(sorry for changing the subject here a little bit)but when parents don't dress their child for the weather,like wearing a sundress when the temp is only 50 degrees and coming with no jacket or sweater and the poor child is so cold and then they wonder why their child got a cold! Or coming in sandals, no socks when it is in the 40's which has happened here and their little feet are so cold also. Where did common sense go these days......there is non! Sorry for the rant, I just feel for the kids.
I have one that has told me since February that they are out of vacation time, but they always manage to get a day off when they have something they want to do, just not when their kids are ill...they always sigh and say that the kids aren't THAT sick. Whatever. Keep 'em home.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Leanna's Avatar
Leanna Leanna is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York State
Posts: 503
Default

So you all exclude for runny noses and common cold symptoms?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Shell's Avatar
Shell Shell is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMama View Post
Dear Parents,

Today, ALL of you brought your children to my home. ALL of them were sick, whiny, and miserable, and you ALL knew it. One of you even tried to call it allergies. That was special...

Yes, it externally appears to be only a runny nose, but your little darling's runny nose gets slimed all over their hands and faces, and my house...multiply that by everyone. Thats just plain nasty. All that crying and whining is because your poor child is too sick to play and enjoy life;
your 4 year old isnt teething. And guess what? You got my baby sick now, so most of my attention will be focused on comforting my child, because thats my # 1 job as a mom.

So I will be closed for the next 2 days, to take care of my child, and sanitize my home. And while you are at home, doing what you should have been doing in the first place, think about how you would feel, and what you would think about me if I dropped my whiny, sick, slimy nosed baby off at your house, called it allergies, and then left for 10 hours.

Sincerely,

"The Babysitter" (we can talk about that special title later...but the point is, it does not say nurse"
Love this! No one is ever sick here, either. It's always teething or allergies!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-24-2013, 11:37 AM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanna View Post
So you all exclude for runny noses and common cold symptoms?
I don't exclude for runny noses or common cold symptoms, unless the child is miserable. My son has a runny nose and is teething ( I can legitimately say he is, he has no other symptoms) so I know it happens. If I excluded for runny noses or the common cold, I don't think anyone would come here. The snot is gross though...lol
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 AM
MCC's Avatar
MCC MCC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 501
Default

This is my day too! I sent a kid home yesterday b/c she was crying/screaming/wanting to lay down at 9am. This is so out of her "norm". Last night DCM texted that she was fine once she got home and "She will be coming to daycare tomorrow" Obviously she was fine at home, because she was RESTING! I'm still not sure how to address DCM telling me she was bringing here vs. asking me...

Daycare is not a place for resting.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Leanna's Avatar
Leanna Leanna is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York State
Posts: 503
Default

[quote=melilley;392435]I don't exclude for runny noses or common cold symptoms, unless the child is miserable. My son has a runny nose and is teething ( I can legitimately say he is, he has no other symptoms) so I know it happens. If I excluded for runny noses or the common cold, I don't think anyone would come here.

I agree. If I excluded for common cold symptoms, I'd never have any kids and none of their parents would be able to work!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-24-2013, 01:07 PM
MotherNature's Avatar
MotherNature MotherNature is offline
Matilda Jane Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilley View Post
I don't exclude for runny noses or common cold symptoms, unless the child is miserable. My son has a runny nose and is teething ( I can legitimately say he is, he has no other symptoms) so I know it happens. If I excluded for runny noses or the common cold, I don't think anyone would come here. The snot is gross though...lol
Same here. I tell the parents at drop-off- If they're lethargic & miserable, then they may get a call to pick-up, and they've all been cool with that. The only time I'vehad to do that w/ my parents was a couple months ago. DCG had a summer cold and mom asked if she could bring her, had no fever, just runny nose..I said sure as we had the same thing here too. Mom texted a couple hrs later & asked how she was- told her- no appetite, just laying on the couch, lethargic. I didn't even mention her needing to go home.She said, well, I don't want to infect you guys more, and she'll feel better at home, so I'll finish up this project & leave in half an hr & take her home. I love that parent. So considerate.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-24-2013, 03:12 PM
jenn's Avatar
jenn jenn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 695
Default

AMEN!

Those darn allergies and teething. I swear some of my kids must have 30 teeth at the age of 2.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
parents - don't cooperate, sick kids, sick policy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parents These Days, I Don't Understand Their Thinking! caregiver Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 07-23-2013 02:08 PM
Dear Parents !! Oneluckymom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 05-23-2013 05:47 PM
SO Sick Of Inconsiderate Parents!!!! rmc20021 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 04-22-2013 01:28 PM
Annoying Parents In Your Daycare??? Mychildreportcard Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 06-06-2012 11:10 AM
Is There Anything I Can Say - or Just Keep Ignoring It DancingQueen Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 98 11-12-2010 11:57 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming