Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do you help school age kids with homework?
Yes, I help with homework. 11 29.73%
No, I do not help with homework. 13 35.14%
I do not take school age kids 13 35.14%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Help With Homework?
CedarCreek 06:50 AM 10-18-2013
One of those websites that gives info for potential clients called to update some info.

Her: "Okay, and do you take school age?"

Me: " Yes"

Her: "Do you help with homework?"

Me: "No"

Her: "You're the first person to say that!"

Me: "Really? The first? I just think it's the parents responsibility to be involved in their child's school work, not me."

Her: "I feel the same way"

Huh. I have never even thought of helping with homework. Is that a service you offer? Why or why not?
Familycare71 06:56 AM 10-18-2013
I do help with homework. I feel like it is a good service and that way the SA can go home and spend more time interacting with their family. My mom is a retired teacher and she comes two days a week as well to work with the kids (when she is in town).
I am amazed tho at how many parents say they will do hw at home with their kids themselves.
crazydaycarelady 07:04 AM 10-18-2013
I don't help with homework. I just can't give a kid the kind of focus they need wen I have 6 -11 other kids running around.
littlemissmuffet 07:05 AM 10-18-2013
I no longer take SA but when I did I would help with VERY BASIC questions - but it is absolutely a parent's job to help with homework, not mine!
Brooksie 07:06 AM 10-18-2013
I think that's something the parents need to do with their child. I also cannot give the proper attention to the other kids I have (generally 3 and under) if I'm trying to get a first grader to understand his/her homework. Homework is done at home.
mom2many 07:14 AM 10-18-2013
I have several s/a and I have helped them with their h/w. Last year I had one in kindy and she needed me to read her the directions and then she could work independently to complete the assignment.

They do their h/w at the kitchen table and I serve snack to everyone at that time, so it's no biggie for me to help them answer a question.

This year I have helped the 5th grader twice when she got stuck & the 1st grader a couple of times. I'm not a tutor, so it's not a time consuming issue and I have no problem with it at all.
kelsey's kids 07:33 AM 10-18-2013
I also help with homework so that when the kids get home they can spend time eith their parents
TwinKristi 07:37 AM 10-18-2013
I help with homework. That's the first thing we do when we get home. I have 3 of my own SA kids plus 1 extra and 2 extra on Friday but no homework that day!
momofsix 07:38 AM 10-18-2013
I help with homework. By the time some of the kids get home, eat supper etc. it's nice for the homework to be done so they can chill for a bit with their parents before bed.
sharlan 07:39 AM 10-18-2013
I ASSIST with homework. I provide necessary supplies and will help with a question, but I don't do their homework or work on long term projects anymore.

I only sit down side by side with my two grandsons. One is in K and the other in 1st. I help with the spelling and math, but draw the line when it comes to their Mandarin.
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 10-18-2013
I don't enroll SA but when I did, I would gladly provide a quiet space for a child to do their homework and I would answer a question if I was able to but I didn't outright help with homework.

I used to have a DCM that would drop her DS off and say "We are going out to dinner (or whatever) after daycare so he needs to do all his homework before I pick him up. Oh, and he is not allowed to play outside if he doesn't do his homework. No TV either."

Which would seriously miff me because the end of the day was when my other SA'er earned their movie time and when we went outside, we ALL went. Plus, their after daycare activities shouldn't be MY issue.

I was just always floored that DCM expected me to hold back the others due to her child.

I out a stop to it after the child told me that he never did homework at home ONLY at daycare.
Familycare71 07:46 AM 10-18-2013
I don't do projects... Just the day to day hw and I will quiz on spelling
Moppetland 08:10 AM 10-18-2013
I took a child care class that was needed for my service learning hours that talked about that. I don't remember the title of the class. But we were advised not to help with homework. Homework means "home" and that's where they should be doing it at.

The advise was a parent has the time after pick-up to assist with homework. That if we as providers get into the habit of doing it, then when the child's homework is incorrect, then the parent would question the child care provider on why their child's homework isn't done or correct. Parents already expect us to do everything, but it can get out of hand.

I use to help also, but since I no longer accept SA, then the stress is off of me no matter which way it goes.
Willow 08:14 AM 10-18-2013
No way. Homework is a parents territory, not mine.

I dont take SA but i have had a few ask me to do preschoolers homework with them (coloring sheets, practice writing their name etc.). After enough times of me telling them "whoops, I guess we didnt have time!" they figured it out. Frankly, if you don't have 10 minutes time to invest in your own childs education you shouldn't have any.

Harsh, but thats how I feel.

Would be exactly like asking me to bathe your child because you have no time for it....give me a break
hgonzalez 08:28 AM 10-18-2013
I will not help with homework that has to be done at a certain time or turned in on a timely basis. However, I will help a child with spelling words etc as long as it does not have to be turned in immediately or if it is the only studying they are doing and it is a test THAT DAY!

I will help, but I make it clear to the parents that it cannot be guaranteed that it will get done at my house.
Unregistered 08:45 AM 10-18-2013
NO, homework is for Home, it is the parents responsibility,I let them know , I don't offer tutoring, that would require an extra fee. i have my own program to run.
I did it in the past and it became my responsibility, one parent walked in here in the morning saying , oh he needs to finish homework before going to school this morning..another parent wanted her child to re-do homework here in the morning before school because she didn't like the way child did it the day before here, so instead of correcting it at home , she brought it here, (child had horrible writing, that was the problem) so no , never again. I get phone calls, and the first thing they ask is, Do you help with homework? my answer no, that is your job. Why would I make it easy for them when I have so much to do so that they can have it nice and easy in the evening? No.
TwinKristi 11:29 AM 10-18-2013
Hmmm, its so interesting to see other providers' perspectives. For me, the kids are all 3rd grade and above so helping usually means just keeping them on track and answering a question if needed but usually it's just 30 mins. after school at the table while we do snack time with the littles. Then they play outside after that. If it was something super complicated or they needed serious help understanding or a long-term project, I would leave that for the parents. But in general it usually consists of making sure they all have sharpened pencils, extra erasers and occasionally colored pencils. They are pretty self-sufficient!
Unregistered 11:49 AM 10-18-2013
I think you need to provide everyone with more information. How many kids do you have? What age range, etc. Why would you not help them with their homework? Don't you want to provide the best level of service for them? Why don't you ask the parents what they want and try to accommodate them? If they are young, they probably have hardly any homework and you would be doing them such a great service to teach them to get their homework out of the way and then play. They are tired after they are picked up and so are their parents!
CedarCreek 12:05 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think you need to provide everyone with more information. How many kids do you have? What age range, etc. Why would you not help them with their homework? Don't you want to provide the best level of service for them? Why don't you ask the parents what they want and try to accommodate them? If they are young, they probably have hardly any homework and you would be doing them such a great service to teach them to get their homework out of the way and then play. They are tired after they are picked up and so are their parents!
Why would I provide more information? It's a poll to see what everyone does.

My business is just that, MINE. Parents do not dictate what I do. I already stated that I believe its the parents responsibility to help with homework. Therefore, it is not something I provide in MY business.
Lavender 12:41 PM 10-18-2013
I have school age kids who sometimes (rarely) attend an after school program. I've specifically asked the program to NOT work with them on their homework. I want it done at home with me, especially my daughter who has multiple learning and developmental disabilities.
Sunchimes 12:52 PM 10-18-2013
I don't take SA either, but I was a teacher (by profession) and it never entered my mind that I wouldn't help with homework. As someone said, help meaning just that-answer a few questions, keep on task, maybe re-teach something, but no projects or involved things.

However, after reading some of your reasons for not helping, they make sense to me. Should this situation arise, I would not be as willing to help as I was before reading this. Never quit learning from you guys!
Play Care 01:08 PM 10-18-2013
I supply a quiet place for them to work, and that's about it. I have ten kids here in the afternoons and there is no way I could do intensive homework assistance.
Unregistered 01:49 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
the younger they are , the more help they need, providers are also tired, we are not the parents,
Cradle2crayons 02:15 PM 10-18-2013
I DO homework with SA because my daycare kids don't get here until 3:30 pm and they don't leave until like 11:30 pm so it wouldn't be good to send them home to do homework at midnight.

However, if they were after school only, no, I would not do homework with them.
dingledine 02:39 PM 10-18-2013
No. I don't even help my own child with homework while the daycare children are here, it isn't a good environment for my own child to try to focus in, and it is just creating bad habits. He needs to be in a quiet place, where he can learn the SKILL of focusing on his homework, without distractions, so he can do his best job, and learn good habits, so that when he is ready, he can do it himself, without being distracted. My oldest never learned that skill very well, he is now a college student. My third grader REALLY needs to learn the skill of being on task, from the start. It is hard, but harder with daycare children running around. I didn't realize how important this was, from the start.
Tags:homework, homework - helping, poll
Reply Up