Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>And So The Drama Begins...
finsup 09:45 AM 03-26-2015
I sent out my "switching to a monday-thursday work week" email. And as predicted the drama begins. DCF didn't seem to "get it" as they were saying well we may need...yeah, I don't care. I know it sounds awful but I just don't. I'm doing something to benefit myself and my family that might inconvenience them twice a month AT MOST. *sigh* just one of those times where I feel like I'm banging my head up against a wall. Not backing down though. Def NOT backing down
Thriftylady 09:51 AM 03-26-2015
I just love it when people want us to cater to what they MAY need.
cara041083 09:54 AM 03-26-2015
Good for you! I am having a really hard time right now. I take 1 week vacation a year and 3 personal days. Other then that I don't take anytime off because every time I go to use my vac or pto days my family's make me feel so bad for doing so. I mean how dare I take time to myself lol. I have decided that next year I will be adding more time off and raising my rates and if they don't like then oh well. I had 3 families take spring break off but still bring me the kids and this week I had a parent take the week off and has brought DCG here even more then they normally do when they work. So this week has shown me that if they get the time off then so do I. Good for you for doing whats best for you!
Annalee 09:56 AM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
I sent out my "switching to a monday-thursday work week" email. And as predicted the drama begins. DCF didn't seem to "get it" as they were saying well we may need...yeah, I don't care. I know it sounds awful but I just don't. I'm doing something to benefit myself and my family that might inconvenience them twice a month AT MOST. *sigh* just one of those times where I feel like I'm banging my head up against a wall. Not backing down though. Def NOT backing down
I know a provider that closed a certain day every year and there was always one parent that had a wild fabricated tale of how this closing would cause trouble for her family. Anyway, before the closing this year, the provider sent out a newsletter stating "I am closed xxxxx date as stated in contract. I DO NOT want to hear how grandma has no arms and can't carry your child around or how grandpa just had hip surgery and can't walk or how auntie has trouble smelling poopy diapers, etc." She said every client, except the parent it was about, enjoyed the humor. The other clients did not know whom it was about but they will be skeptical about displaying this behavior now. Stick to what you need to do for your family!
Blackcat31 09:57 AM 03-26-2015
Practice and repeat until fine tuned:

"If you are unable to work within my business hours, please submit your notice in writing. Thank you"

Or an even less direct but still equally pointed response....

"I am sorry my changes do not meet your needs but they were made with my family in mind not yours so I completely understand."

Or the ever popular

"I'm sorry but your family is no longer a good fit for my program."

and my all time favorite...

"Not my problem."
finsup 10:19 AM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by cara041083:
Good for you! I am having a really hard time right now. I take 1 week vacation a year and 3 personal days. Other then that I don't take anytime off because every time I go to use my vac or pto days my family's make me feel so bad for doing so. I mean how dare I take time to myself lol. I have decided that next year I will be adding more time off and raising my rates and if they don't like then oh well. I had 3 families take spring break off but still bring me the kids and this week I had a parent take the week off and has brought DCG here even more then they normally do when they work. So this week has shown me that if they get the time off then so do I. Good for you for doing whats best for you!
I was like that for a while. Parents (most) made me feel bad for taking any time off. I finally said I had enough. Best thing ever! Esp when its family's who will send their kids on every day they have off so they can get a "break" but heaven forbid we ever want one! But yup, if they don't like it, you can find new families who will be fine with it everyone is replaceable!
finsup 10:23 AM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

"If you are unable to work within my business hours, please submit your notice in writing. Thank you"

"I am sorry my changes do not meet your needs but they were made with my family in mind not yours so I completely understand."

Or the ever popular

"Not my problem."
Those are great! I will def be using them if they continue to annoy me right now they have stopped sending anything so they are either mad, and realize they can't change it or are mad and looking into alternative care. *shrugs* either way, doesn't bother me. I don't have to see them again until next week
finsup 10:24 AM 03-26-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I know a provider that closed a certain day every year and there was always one parent that had a wild fabricated tale of how this closing would cause trouble for her family. Anyway, before the closing this year, the provider sent out a newsletter stating "I am closed xxxxx date as stated in contract. I DO NOT want to hear how grandma has no arms and can't carry your child around or how grandpa just had hip surgery and can't walk or how auntie has trouble smelling poopy diapers, etc." She said every client, except the parent it was about, enjoyed the humor. The other clients did not know whom it was about but they will be skeptical about displaying this behavior now. Stick to what you need to do for your family!
Lol that is awesome!
Rockgirl 10:25 AM 03-26-2015
Good job! I used to feel like I needed to justify my reasons for being closed, but not anymore. I post my days off with plenty of notice (unless there's an emergency), with no further explanation. A couple of parents will ask, but only because they know we are likely going to a concert, and they are interested in who we are seeing.

If daycare parents don't have a reliable backup, in-home daycare isn't the right choice for them.
Crazy8 11:04 AM 03-26-2015

Or the ever popular

"Not my problem."
LOVE every one of these answers!!!!!!

I went to a M-Th schedule in November. I was able to do it when my only M-F family gave notice but then when they reneged on the notice I decided to firm up and say NO to the fridays (she wasn't going to be working on fridays, just wanted to send them anyway). Best decision I ever made for myself!!!!! I said I'd go back to working Fridays if I had to but I'm not sure I ever will, LOL!
Gemma 11:21 AM 03-26-2015
...yeah, I don't care. I know it sounds awful but I just don't. ..... Not backing down though. Def NOT backing down
I love it when providers stand firm in their decisions!!
I'm very proud of you!!
Gemma 11:24 AM 03-26-2015
I love this one!
Rockgirl 11:57 AM 03-26-2015
I am envious of the providers who are able to do Mon-Thurs! Friendly envy, of course. I used to do mostly SA care, with just two preschoolers, and each of them had a parent off on Fridays, so I didn't have any kids until 3:00 on Fridays, and it was wonderful!
Silly Songs 06:08 PM 03-26-2015
How are all these parents off on Friday ? Does their place of work just close every Friday ?
DaveA 03:57 AM 03-27-2015
Never feel bad about doing what's best for you and your family. People make business/career decisions every day for that reason. Childcare isn't any different. I expect DCPs to act in their best interests and I act that way for my career.
Blackcat31 05:42 AM 03-27-2015
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
How are all these parents off on Friday ? Does their place of work just close every Friday ?
I have lots of families over the years have a Monday-Thursday work schedule.

Some just have Fridays off but most the others either work 10-12 hour days M-Th or they have a grandparent wanting to take the child one day per week.

I thought it was a fluke at first that so many families had Fridays off but it's been a few years now and I still get new enrollees with the same schedules....

I am NOT complaining as it leaves me with a VERY light work load on Fridays so it's all good.
Crazy8 06:00 AM 03-27-2015
2 of my kids - mom worked full time before her first baby but when deciding whether or not to go back after maternity leave that was their compromise.

2 others were M-F till mom gave notice at her job (and gave me notice too). In their counteroffers to keep her they gave her the 4 day work week for the same pay! She then came back to me and said she was staying but was going to still keep them here on Fridays. I said no thanks, I've already interviewed someone else who only needs M-Th and I like the idea of having that day off too! I was prepared to let them go. She stayed but with the M-Th schedule.

I thought I would go back to M-F when I needed to but just started a new baby of a single mom where daycare costs are a stretch for her. To help make it more managable she got a family member to do 1 day a week. I had changed my rate sheet so instead of listing a price for 4 days a week it now lists "Monday - Thursday" so that's what the new one signed up for, there wasn't even a question of which day she'd take off!!
finsup 10:47 AM 03-27-2015
Nope, DCD is just off every other friday. My other family dcb's Grammy takes him on Fridays. So with this particular family it put them at 2 days out of the month they may need care and that's if DCM isn't off (chances are good she will be). If they both worked every Friday I couldn't really do this (well, I could but it would be a lot harder).

Anyways, they're giving me the silent treatment now Go for it, be mad. I had today off for a prenatal appointment anyways and I'm just thinking "this is going to be great every Friday"
AmyLeigh 10:52 AM 03-27-2015
I have lots of families over the years have a Monday-Thursday work schedule.

Some just have Fridays off but most the others either work 10-12 hour days M-Th or they have a grandparent wanting to take the child one day per week.

I thought it was a fluke at first that so many families had Fridays off but it's been a few years now and I still get new enrollees with the same schedules....

I am NOT complaining as it leaves me with a VERY light work load on Fridays so it's all good.
4-10 shifts are becoming very common in my area. Dh's work moved to this about 3 years ago and many government agencies offer 4-10's or 9-80's for their employees.
Tags:drama, parents - don't cooperate, schedule - changes
Reply Up