Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lakeshore Learning
MommyMuffin 05:36 AM 10-28-2010
Have any of you been to a Lakeshore Learning store?
I have a catalog and the items look awesome, high quality but way too expensive for me. The closest store to me is about 1 hour away and I wanted to check it out and see if they have any clearance items? Anyone been there or ordered from them?
Crystal 05:46 AM 10-28-2010
I have. It is the more expensive Early Childhood supplier, but they do have good quality stuff.

You are not likely to find much in the way of clearance. They have a website:

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 10-28-2010
Great Store! But super spendy! $$$$$ Here are a few similar stores:

http://www.eichild.com
http://www.constructiveplaythings.com
http://www.kaplanco.com
http://www.hatchearlychildhood.com

I use the label maker from eichild. It is awesome for book labels, name labels, simple words, etc. I am lucky enough to have a husband who is a furniture/cabinet maker so he copied a lot of the coat locker ideas and made me a complete set of cubbies for my kids. Saved a ton of $ to do it himself.
melskids 06:58 AM 10-28-2010
my favorites.....

www.discountschoolsupply.com
www.orientaltrading.com
www.ssww.com
MarinaVanessa 07:19 AM 10-28-2010
I buy certain things from Lakeshore. I'm lucky enough to have a store within a few miles of me however. Yes it's pricey but it's good stuff and they last a good long while. I get my tempera paint from them all of the time for $2 a color which I don't think is very much compared to some of the other watery stuff that I've gotten for almost the same price. I think it's worth it if you have coupons and they have sales etc. Don't know how the website works or whether they have the same sales as the stores do but I know that their coupons only work for the store and not the website.
daysofelijah 07:22 AM 10-28-2010
Fun store to browse, but I don't buy much there. I did order my daycare table and chairs through there though since they had a good coupon and no shipping charge if you pick it up at the store.
I used to by stuff there when I was teaching and could claim the money for teaching expenses and be reimbursed.
DanceMom 07:29 AM 10-28-2010
LOVE LOVE LOVE that store...BUT it is very expensive. The only things I ever buy there is paint, posters, paper, flashcards etc.

Their learning toys, blocks etc are very expensive ! I could spend hours in that store though and wish I had a ton of money, Id buy it all !
Crystal 07:31 AM 10-28-2010
I love Discount School Supply, I usually have my order within two days. The only thing is many of their items are not of very high quality so I mostly order art supplies and stuff. Lakeshore has much higher level of quality and durability. I was lucky a few years ago, when I was with the Preschool Bridging Model here, they gave me $1500 in gift cards to Lakeshore. I bought alot of stuff at the store and it has held up over the years, as opposed to some stuff from DSS that lasted only weeks.

One thing I have done with lakeshore is look at their catalogues because they do have some unique items, and I make them myself. Thy aren't as pretty, but they meet the needs of my children and I spend pennies on the dollar as opposed to buying it from them.
Blackcat31 07:41 AM 10-28-2010
I use some of the pictures in the Lakeshore catalog and laminate them to use as labels on bins/toy shelves and some as flashcard type things. Kids love cuttting and tearing their wish lists out of them too!
Crystal 07:42 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I use some of the pictures in the Lakeshore catalog and laminate them to use as labels on bins/toy shelves and some as flashcard type things. Kids love cuttting and tearing their wish lists out of them too!
lol, I do that too! I also love eichild and have made many labels, name cards, my calendar, etc. from their site!
DCMom 08:29 AM 10-28-2010
I love LakeShore; it's my favorite store. If you sign up for their Teachers Club you get coupons and free shipping offers. I have a store near me so I take advantage of each and every coupon; you really can't beat the quality.

I just bought the LakeShore Market and they had it shipped to my house (instead of the store) for free, let me use a 20% off coupon and let me apply two other coupons to the accessories that I bought to go with it. All in all, saved me about $100 between the discounts and the free shipping.

Lakeshore also has teaching resources on their website; I've just started using some of the printable.

I use Discount School Supply for many things also, especially for furniture-type items and art supplies. They are generally cheaper, but the quality can be very hit and miss with them. Same with Oriental Trading.
melskids 08:41 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
One thing I have done with lakeshore is look at their catalogues because they do have some unique items, and I make them myself. Thy aren't as pretty, but they meet the needs of my children and I spend pennies on the dollar as opposed to buying it from them.
OMG ! i do the SAME thing...lol

i was at a conference this past weekend and the door prize was a math game called "frog on a log". you match the plastic frogs to the numbers on the plastic logs. i didnt win it, so i came home and made it myself with clip art frogs and paper towel rolls. a little contact paper and velcro, and voila!!! LOL
the kids love it, considering they're still stuck on the frog/toad theme from summer
Francine 09:17 AM 10-28-2010
Don't mean to steal the thread but does anybody know where to buy seasonal wall hanging type things? I would like to change my theme on my playroom walls according to the holiday or season.
Crystal 10:02 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:

i was at a conference this past weekend and the door prize was a math game called "frog on a log". you match the plastic frogs to the numbers on the plastic logs. i didnt win it, so i came home and made it myself with clip art frogs and paper towel rolls. a little contact paper and velcro, and voila!!! LOL
the kids love it, considering they're still stuck on the frog/toad theme from summer
lol! STILL on the frogs? lol!

Yep, I'd rather make stuff then spend $20-$30. I typically only buy clearance stuff that are great bargains (from any and all companies) OR stuff I REALLY need. If I can make it, I do. I make all of my own flannel stories and stuff too.
DCMom 11:03 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:

I wish I was talented like that ~ when I make things they never turn out quite the way I imagine, lol. Those of us who can't make, buy I guess
Blackcat31 02:03 PM 10-28-2010
I bought one of those Cricut cutting things for scrapbookers! It is AWESOME!!!! It cuts out tons of things in up to a 12x12 size. It will accomodate vinyl too so we make lots of removable wall art with it. It is totally worth the investment. I think I paid $200 for it. I love it!!
http://www.cricut.com/
Former Teacher 03:27 PM 10-28-2010
Yes I love Lakeshore. I agree with everyone it is pricey though! I usually just buy my construction paper there. I am having a brain moment so I can't remember if its .50 or .99 cents haha. Either way I need it and its a better quality.

I signed up for the teacher's club so I get discounts. I am looking forward to making the parents Christmas gifts this year. I plan on lamenting photos etc. They have a laminator. Normally .39 per page. However since I am a member of the teacher club..it's only .29 per page! I am quite excited!
Tags:lakeshore learning, supplies
Reply Up