Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Doing Own Taxes vs. CPA

How many of you do your own taxes and don't hire a professional? This is my first year as a provider and I only worked less than half of the year (it has been a slow start for sure). I didn't make much (between 5 and 6 grand roughly). I have done quite a bit of research on figuring out the time space percentage, finding out what can and cannot be used as a write off, etc. I have kept good records of hours worked (both watching kiddos and cleaning/bookkeeping time), money made, meal counts, kept all receipts, etc.

I guess I'm just wondering if it is super complicated to where a tax pro is needed or will Turbo Tax or H&RBlock make it easy enough to file on our own.

TIA!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:40 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I've been doing my own since I opened 5 years ago. If you're accustomed to doing taxes and do your research, you should be fine. I would absolutely recommend getting some of Tom Copeland's books. I would have endless questions if I hadn't read his books.

ETA: I hired an assistant this year, so I did meet with a payroll accountant that could help me understand how to handle an employee's withholdings and taxes specifically in regards to state and local taxes. Tom's book covers federal taxes for employees.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I do both.

I use MMK Pro religiously, then print everything off for my CPA.

Worth every penny, and then some. To me.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallina View Post
I've been doing my own since I opened 5 years ago. If you're accustomed to doing taxes and do your research, you should be fine. I would absolutely recommend getting some of Tom Copeland's books. I would have endless questions if I hadn't read his books.
We have always done our own taxes Definitely plan on getting some of those books before my husband and I do our taxes!
Old 01-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Daycare.com Member

I do my own. One year I paid someone and got them back and looked them over and she had put my whole house as a 100% deduction. I called her about it and she argued it was legal due to the home office rule. After that I don't trust anyone.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I do both.

I use MMK Pro religiously, then print everything off for my CPA.

Worth every penny, and then some. To me.
This ^^^

I dont have the time or interest to do them myself.

ETA: my CPA charges me less than $200 so MORE than worth it to me.
Plus that cost is tax deductible too
Old 01-14-2016, 03:12 PM
Daycare.com Member

Man, I just signed up for the 30 day trial of MMK (never heard of it until now) and it is CRAZY helpful! I wish I had this for all of last year! I am paying the yearly amount today and will be using this every day. Such a helpful site!
Old 01-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Here is a previous poll on the subject: http://daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41854

Tags
cpa, minute menu, mmk, tax preparation, tax preparation - own self