Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Woes
Jo123ABC 12:59 PM 11-14-2018
I have a 3 yo dck that I've been taking to the potty for nearly a month now. He has yet to actually go in there though. What would you do? Just continue?
Blackcat31 01:13 PM 11-14-2018
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
I have a 3 yo dck that I've been taking to the potty for nearly a month now. He has yet to actually go in there though. What would you do? Just continue?
I don't take kids to the potty. That's just way too much work when you have more than one child in care.

Kids must be able to indicate they need to use the bathroom and be able to do 90% of it by themselves before I will allow them to wear underwear here.

Taking kids to the bathroom in timed intervals isn't doing anything other than taking up your time. It's not training the child at all. Especially if you've been doing this for a month already and nothing has changed.

I discuss my expectation for being toilet trained with parents and when a child is ready, truly ready it really doesn't take much more than a a few days. I'm even willing to allow a parent a "free" no pay day off of daycare if they need a day to devote to weekend potty training.

Does this child indicate their need to go to the bathroom?
Can child take down their own pants and put them back on?
Does child dislike being wet or soiled?

Who initiated this take child every so often to the toilet routine? What is the parent doing to support the child?

Has child had ANY success yet?
Cat Herder 01:14 PM 11-14-2018
Has he verbally asked to go? Has he answered yes when asked if he needed to potty?

If both answers no, I'd invest less time in it. The majority should be done at home as this is a parental responsibility.
Jupadia 01:23 PM 11-14-2018
I've done this with a kid very recently, he starts school next year so it's a priority to get him trained. He is 2 but will be 3 by the end of December. It took him about a month of sitting to figure out it was time to pee. He finally got it and proud to be able to do it now. But I only take him at changing time because he not asking to go yet.
I'll also say I've only done it like this cause he is my kid. Other kids have to start the process at home first. Unless the child asked to sit in potty I will not take them outside of diaper change times. What are the parents doing to help with training.
happymom 01:37 PM 11-14-2018
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
He is 2 but will be 3 by the end of December.
And he starts school next year? What kind of school? My 3 year old doesn't start school until Fall of 2021.... (2.5 years away)
Jupadia 04:49 PM 11-14-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
And he starts school next year? What kind of school? My 3 year old doesn't start school until Fall of 2021.... (2.5 years away)
I'm in Ontario Canada here they have a two year kindergarden program (jr. And sr) that starts the year your child turns 4. So this year on December 30 he is 3 next year for school year he will turn 4 before the end if the year. Now it's not mandatory to actually send them till age of 6, but enrollment is based on age. So if I waited a year he would miss Jr. Kindergarten and head straight to sr. Kindergarten. (You could skip both and go to grade 1). But then your child miss out on those previous years where their classmates have had that babies. The kindergarden also full days so it can be a lot for kids.
Now the only way I'll not send him is if I truly think hes not ready. Then I may discuss a January start or some such.
Jo123ABC 06:11 PM 11-14-2018
Does this child indicate their need to go to the bathroom?
Sometimes but just out of routine habit I think.

Can child take down their own pants and put them back on?
Sometimes ... Mom typically dresses him in clothes that are a bit more "difficult" jeans, bibs, etc

Does child dislike being wet or soiled?
He's okay with being wet or soiled but sometimes will ask for a "change" if soiled

Who initiated this take child every so often to the toilet routine? What is the parent doing to support the child?
She said they were going to work on it one weekend then didn't. I just started because dcm wanted me to. I don't know exact details on what they are doing. She said they take him but don't push it.

Has child had ANY success yet?
Dcm said he "accidentally" went #2 in the potty 1 time. I think she just caught him pooping and put him on the potty mid-poop.
Jo123ABC 06:19 PM 11-14-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Has he verbally asked to go? Has he answered yes when asked if he needed to potty?

If both answers no, I'd invest less time in it. The majority should be done at home as this is a parental responsibility.
He does ask to go maybe twice a day but it's out of routine habit I think (after he eats- potty and wash up- I have my routine set up so they go wash up on their own if they're old enough to while the babies and younger toddlers get washed up one at a time by me- he wants the big boy independence ). If I ask he'll say either yes or no... Whichever he feels like saying. I don't think he's grasping the concept of what the potty is actually for yet.
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 11-15-2018
She said they were going to work on it one weekend then didn't. I just started because dcm wanted me to. I don't know exact details on what they are doing. She said they take him but don't push it.
I don't know, I'd had a hard time doing something the parent isn't doing or isn't taking the lead with. It's THEIR child and THEIR responsibility to train.

I really dislike that parents think child care providers are suppose to teach all those things to their child while they do nothing or very little of it; especially the hard work.
It's very unfair to you.

I'll happily assist and support potty training obviously because the child is in care during alot of awake hours but like I said, after the parent lays most the groundwork.

He does ask to go maybe twice a day but it's out of routine habit I think (after he eats- potty and wash up- I have my routine set up so they go wash up on their own if they're old enough to while the babies and younger toddlers get washed up one at a time by me- he wants the big boy independence ). If I ask he'll say either yes or no... Whichever he feels like saying. I don't think he's grasping the concept of what the potty is actually for yet.
Honestly, if he isn't really grasping the concept yet...I'd step back and let him be. If he asks to go or if he says yes, when you ask then definitely let him go but I certainly wouldn't be carving out time every 15-30 minutes all day long to bring him...kwim?
Snowmom 07:27 AM 11-15-2018
Well, it sounds like the parent just wants you to do the work so they don't have to. I'd stop. It's not doing the child any good if they're not ready to PT.

Do you have a potty training policy?

If not, I'd come up with one. Make a handout to give to mom when you tell her that until little Bobby shows all the signs of readiness, you will no longer be pt at daycare.

Here is a good example to start a policy:
https://www.iidc.indiana.edu/styles/...greadiness.pdf
Tags:parental responsibility, potty training
Reply Up