Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Gotta Know That Kids Will Get Hurt at Daycare
UnregisteredPurposely 01:10 PM 10-13-2019
Kids will get hurt at daycare / school all the time right? You can’t be that dense not to think things happen.

Here’s the full story.

A couple classes were outside together and the kids were playing on the playground. The teachers were outside talking and watching the kids and one kid tried to be like the movie Fast and the Furious and tilted the car over losing her balance hitting her head on the outline of the fence that has a board on the bottom.

So I immediately put ice on her head seeing a knot was beginning to form but she was fighting me. I wrote it up and told mom at pick up.
Mom was upset because this is the second incident. The first was two kids pushed her daughter into the door leaving a bump. I and my lead was literally standing at the door trying to get them out to go outside when it happened, it happened so quick. (These are all one year olds)

This is what pisses me off. I told mom that she can talk to any of the teachers that were outside to verify the story because we were all out there watching them. My director said, well that doesn’t make her feel any better. 🙄🙄. It’s not like we had Spidey sense and could save her at the last min.

I think I’m at my wits end at this point. I’m trying my hardest to keep going but I think I’m burnt out. I texted mom to see how she was doing and she didn’t write back so.

I was told not to worry about it. There was nothing you could have done.
Josiegirl 02:01 PM 10-13-2019
Yes, unfortunately it does happen. And parents know that. But when it comes to their child, they tend to react a bit more dramatically than simply a tongue-clucking when it's other kids.
My brother ran into a slide, needed stitches, when he was at school in 1st grade. My nephew knocked a couple front teeth out during swimming lessons, age 5-6. A former dcm's ds busted his shoulder while on his playground, with his mom right there. A girl on 1 of my dd's softball teams, ran smack into the chain link fence, knocked herself out cold, got an ambulance ride. I bet we could all add many many stories like those. I had a toddler smack his forehead on a wooden chair, in anger and got a really big egg.
That's why they're called accidents. Unless you're holding a child, anything can happen. But wait, I've fallen, holding a child and messed up my knee protecting the child.
Things are going to happen. Parents will be concerned. We can only do what we can do to keep little ones safe.
flying_babyb 02:14 PM 10-13-2019
Ok ill share:
Two year old classroom, big loft. Two sets of stairs. 4 kids on the loft. Im standing right there. Kids brother shoves her and she goes flying... RIGHT OVER my arm. There's teeth on the floor, blood everywhere. I called the mom and lets just say she flipped, threatened to sue ect. Next day mom comes in and asks to talk to me, Im all freaking out. She came over and hugged me and apologized. We both cried. I switched classrooms, and her child ended up in my room again. Mom was thrilled and her daughter and I have a great relationship. Kids two now and still missing those teeth!
Jo123ABC 05:47 AM 10-14-2019
For sure! Stuff happens and we aren't always able to stop it. I have one I would love to wrap in bubble wrap. He's just crazy clumsy. He's not allowed to run or even really walk fast in my house anymore. I have to explain bumps and bruises on him all the time I've had one go to er for stitches in a leg after tripping. I've had one chip a tooth while tripping face-first into a toy box. And plenty more stories!
Blackcat31 06:49 AM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by UnregisteredPurposely:
Kids will get hurt at daycare / school all the time right? You can’t be that dense not to think things happen.

Here’s the full story.

A couple classes were outside together and the kids were playing on the playground. The teachers were outside talking and watching the kids and one kid tried to be like the movie Fast and the Furious and tilted the car over losing her balance hitting her head on the outline of the fence that has a board on the bottom.

So I immediately put ice on her head seeing a knot was beginning to form but she was fighting me. I wrote it up and told mom at pick up.
Mom was upset because this is the second incident. The first was two kids pushed her daughter into the door leaving a bump. I and my lead was literally standing at the door trying to get them out to go outside when it happened, it happened so quick. (These are all one year olds)

This is what pisses me off. I told mom that she can talk to any of the teachers that were outside to verify the story because we were all out there watching them. My director said, well that doesn’t make her feel any better. 🙄🙄. It’s not like we had Spidey sense and could save her at the last min.

I think I’m at my wits end at this point. I’m trying my hardest to keep going but I think I’m burnt out. I texted mom to see how she was doing and she didn’t write back so.

I was told not to worry about it. There was nothing you could have done.
As a parent, she has every right to be upset. It's her child.
I'm a provider and a parent but and when it comes to my child, I am fiercely protective and probably not very logical or understanding if my kid gets hurt under someone else's watch.

Fair? Probably not but it really makes no difference. Her kid got hurt. She's upset about it. I don't think it's off the wall for her to feel that way.

Unless she is outright blaming YOU, I'd let it go.

I do have a question though....why is there a board on the bottom of the fence? I'm just trying to picture the physical environment and understand how this happened.
UnregisteredPurposely 07:58 AM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
As a parent, she has every right to be upset. It's her child.
I'm a provider and a parent but and when it comes to my child, I am fiercely protective and probably not very logical or understanding if my kid gets hurt under someone else's watch.

Fair? Probably not but it really makes no difference. Her kid got hurt. She's upset about it. I don't think it's off the wall for her to feel that way.

Unless she is outright blaming YOU, I'd let it go.

I do have a question though....why is there a board on the bottom of the fence? I'm just trying to picture the physical environment and understand how this happened.

I actually don't know. It's been there since I've been employed here.
Ariana 02:16 PM 10-14-2019
I think empathy goes a long way. Of course kids get hurt but making the mom feel crummy for being concerned is only going to make things worse. (I’m not saying you are doing this!). I always apologize profusely and make a comment like “good thing kids are so tough” or something along those lines. It shows that accidents happen and you are doing your best.

Maybe your lack of empathy over the situation is rubbing her the wrong way? Just a thought I know when I feel burnt out my empathy goes down the tubes for sure.
CeriBear 06:21 AM 10-20-2019
Yes, kids do get hurt at daycare but you can’t expect a parent not to be concerned/upset when their child is involved. Black Cat is right. Unless the mom is blaming you for what happened I’d just let it go.

I’ve had parents get upset about little things like skinned knees and elbows but completely brushed aside more serious things like a goose egg on the head. Parents just react differently.
Tags:injuries, parents - are clueless, parents - don't understand, safety checklist
Reply Up