Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Earthquake Risk In The Next Week?
SilverSabre25 03:13 PM 03-17-2011
I don't know if any of you have seen this video, but it's really interesting (I'm SUCH a geek...).

Brief synopsis, apparently there's a big risk of a major earthquake somewhere in North America sometime in the next week or so. They're basing this on a lot of factors--recent major quake activity, past quakes, the Spring equinox, the full moon, and a recent fish die off and some unusual whale beaching. Looking at it, I can certainly understand where the worry is coming from!

Those of you on the West Coast, stay safe! Of course, I'm hoping that nothing happens, but you never know.
momatheart 03:39 PM 03-17-2011
OK time for me to get my geek on and check out this video.
Michelle 03:49 PM 03-17-2011
wow I just watched this video, in fact I showed it to my dh and he played it over and over and "analyzed it" lol
but seriously , I really appreciate all the help and concern you guys have given us "west coasters" in regards to all these things lately.
I have been going way overboard buying ALOT of extra water bottles, food, flashlights, first aid kits, and I even updated my go bag.I do realize the huge responsibility to protect these kids and my family.
I have all the furniture strapped to the walls , we do earthquake drills , and I have a lot of experience with earthquakes. I know it's not a joking matter but one time I was making chocolate milk when an earthquake happened and it gave me days of good joke material!!!
daycare 03:59 PM 03-17-2011
well i guess I should prepare as I live in SF..............But I hear these things all the time so I am not too worried. Allthough, it would not hurt to make sure that my DC was ready for any type of disaster to happen...

thanks for posting
momatheart 04:00 PM 03-17-2011
WOW!!!!
daycare 04:05 PM 03-17-2011
seeing this and living in SF CA, I was thinking that maybe I should ask each famiy to supply their child with an earthquake kit. The school's here make us provide them why shouldn't I??

My daughter's school made me suppy 3 water bottles, blanket, flashlight, 3 granola bars, and other foods. I think it was a full day supply of food..

Do you think I should ask the DCP to supply one for each of their children or do you think that would be my responsibility?
MissAnn 04:09 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
well i guess I should prepare as I live in SF..............But I hear these things all the time so I am not too worried. Allthough, it would not hurt to make sure that my DC was ready for any type of disaster to happen...

thanks for posting
Wow...I live in TN now but I lived the first almost 40 years in Ca. I grew up in Berkeley (in the 60's) and then moved to Dixon, then Grass Valley then Napa. I love California. We lived very close to the stadium in Berkeley on university property. My dad was a poultry scientist there. I miss it all!
momatheart 04:16 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
seeing this and living in SF CA, I was thinking that maybe I should ask each famiy to supply their child with an earthquake kit. The school's here make us provide them why shouldn't I??

My daughter's school made me suppy 3 water bottles, blanket, flashlight, 3 granola bars, and other foods. I think it was a full day supply of food..

Do you think I should ask the DCP to supply one for each of their children or do you think that would be my responsibility?
Not a bad idea. But then again you could just ask for a supply fee and purchase these items yourself so you know that they will be there.
GretasLittleFriends 07:23 PM 03-17-2011
I lived out in Oregon for oh, not quite 7 years. I've been back home for 3 years now. While out there I worried a little about earth quakes, but more so about the quakes causing the mountain eruptions. I was there when St. Helens started smoking. I remember being told many MANY times that Mt. Hood is a dormant volcano. Toured Crater Lake and read about what caused it to form... If I still lived out there I think I would worry not just about the quake, but about what the shift in the plates would mean for the Cascade Range.

On a side note, and not to sound completely like a paranoid nut job... Has anyone been to Yellowstone N.P.? I grew up in the midwest and didn't travel much. I was very surprised/shocked to learn why Ol' Faithful and the other geysers "blow" (boil and explode). Thinking Earth quakes and volcanic activities led me down this path...
Michelle 08:27 PM 03-17-2011
also ask them to bring a family picture because it would be reassuring for the little kids to have a picture of mommy and daddy if they are scared and a small toy/blanket from home too.
marniewon 09:01 PM 03-17-2011
I would be a nervous wreck in an earthquake - I've never dealt with anything more than a tiny tornado.

To all of my west coast friends - stay safe!!!
daycare 09:28 PM 03-17-2011
I have been on a few. They are scary but I think that I like not knowing when they will come. There really is no warning, just have to duck and cover when it comes. So I'm usually prepared for one. Less stress not knowing
melissa ann 03:49 AM 03-18-2011
I've lived in Pa all of my life. I remember back in the 80's growing up, we had an earthquake. It was at night and I was up reading. I felt the house shake. I thought it was just windy. I told my parents in the morning and they didn't feel anything, A little later, we found out we had an earthquake.
There have been numerous earhquakes in PA in the last several years. I believe in the Lancaster Co and York Co. I'm about 30 mins or so north of Lancaster and haven't felt any of those.
missnikki 06:04 AM 03-18-2011
I'm in Southern Cali, have been nearly all my life. Earthquakes are funny- as a kid I was scared, as a teen I was exhilerated, as a young adult I was over-prepared, and as a mom I am hyper-cautious and protective...but I still ride 'em out with a little 'WHEE!' in my head, from under a sturdy table. It's all you really can do...
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 03-18-2011
I was watching the National Geopgraphic Channel the other night (my fav!) and this show came on http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...ega-quake-5563. According to this show there will be a massive and catasrophic earthquake around the Seattle area in the next few years that will completely devestate the upper west coast area. Now I don't know how much of this is true or how much is just hype and speculation but it just makes me really glad that I live where I do because we get equal parts of Spring, Winter, Summer and Fall......no wildfires, no flooding, no tornados, no mud slides, no tsunamis, no hurricanes, no droughts, and no earthquakes!!

Just lots of misquitos!! and even thought they suck (literally and figuratively) I don't think they count as a natuaral disaster.

The show was very interesting though....if you get a chance watch it when it comes on again..I was completely sucked into it after only the frist 5 minutes.
SandeeAR 06:46 AM 03-18-2011
We knew the Greenbrier AR earthquakes, (about 8 miles away from me), were frequent and large when we made the main page on Yahoo a week ago
laundrymom 07:14 AM 03-18-2011
About 15 years ago I read about someone who took white t shirts black sharpies, wrote kids first name, her number, parents first name and numbers. Put shirts in her emergency tote. Tornado came thru town one day. She shirted the kids and they were instantly labeled with who and how to find parents. She didn't " need" them. But how much easier would that be for rescue workers? Each Childs name parents and phone numbers right there on their shirt. Pretty cost effective idea. You could even print an iron on of the parents pic on it.
SandeeAR 07:30 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
About 15 years ago I read about someone who took white t shirts black sharpies, wrote kids first name, her number, parents first name and numbers. Put shirts in her emergency tote. Tornado came thru town one day. She shirted the kids and they were instantly labeled with who and how to find parents. She didn't " need" them. But how much easier would that be for rescue workers? Each Childs name parents and phone numbers right there on their shirt. Pretty cost effective idea. You could even print an iron on of the parents pic on it.
That's a really good idea!
Michelle 10:31 AM 03-18-2011
that is a really good idea, I remember reading that a mom couldn't even see her baby in the hospital , she was a victim from that tata daycare fire.
The hospital said no because of privacy laws. So the mom begged them to just let her see the babies clothes so she can identify them, sadly it was her and she had died.
Tags:earthquake, emergency plan
Reply Up