Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1 Year Old Behavior ?
JJPlaycare 10:20 AM 07-27-2010
I have two DCBs that are 16 months and 15 months and so far so good with both, but my question is this what do you do to discipline them, I guess? For instance, the 16 month old has been pulling hair, right out of my daughters head - It isn't like he is doing it to be mean, he does it, she cries and he innocently hands me the hair back! grrrrr She will simply be playing next to him and he will just grab a hand full, completely out of the blue! He has done this all of last week and now this week, so far I have just said No, no that is owie and showed him how to say sorry and try to get him to give her a hug, in which he has no clue, but this obviously isn't working! I noticed when mom gets here he doesn't always want to leave and he hits, pinches, bites and she scolds him, but my gosh all of these behaviors really!!They both are starting to try and bite as well to eachother and everyone else! Ugh, I have dealt with biters, but gosh these two just seem so young to be doing it, what do you do to make them change their behavior before it is to late! : I
MN Mom 10:57 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
I have two DCBs that are 16 months and 15 months and so far so good with both, but my question is this what do you do to discipline them, I guess? For instance, the 16 month old has been pulling hair, right out of my daughters head - It isn't like he is doing it to be mean, he does it, she cries and he innocently hands me the hair back! grrrrr She will simply be playing next to him and he will just grab a hand full, completely out of the blue! He has done this all of last week and now this week, so far I have just said No, no that is owie and showed him how to say sorry and try to get him to give her a hug, in which he has no clue, but this obviously isn't working! I noticed when mom gets here he doesn't always want to leave and he hits, pinches, bites and she scolds him, but my gosh all of these behaviors really!!They both are starting to try and bite as well to eachother and everyone else! Ugh, I have dealt with biters, but gosh these two just seem so young to be doing it, what do you do to make them change their behavior before it is to late! : I
With small children, I use a deep and loud "mommy" voice. I overemphasize my facial expressions so they are sure to understand that I am unhappy with their behavior. I get down to their level, and get very close to them (trying to slightly invade their bubble) and say NO! NO! That was NOT nice, That was VERY naughty, and firmly sit them down and tell them to STAY. I make them as uncomfortable as possible when I do this.

If they were my own kids, I'd add a firm swat to the butt.
tmcp2001 11:05 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
Totally agree! My own four kids learned VERY quickly how we treat others - and a firm swat on the behind was used for those grievous offenses.

I have a just-turned 2 year old DCB who has some of those same behaviors (he's really a sweet kid, just doesn't know what to do with himself when he's frustrated or mad). It's so frustrating dealing with him all day! I love him to pieces but I have to count to ten every time he launches a toy at another kid or pushes/hits them. UGH! He doesn't have sibings at home so, of course, mom has never seen this. I just keep at it and tell myself that he will learn!

(Oh, and I've been encouraging the other kids not to play with him when he's not playing nice - if he wants to play with his friends he has to learn to play nicely!)
JJPlaycare 10:28 AM 07-28-2010
Ha, I agree about the own children comments, I feel like I am tougher on my girls during daycare hours in a sense, because I expect alot from them when it comes to behavior!! I don't know, I am at my witts end with this trying to bite thing - neither of them have been successful yet, but it is going to happen and I need to nip it in the butt now! They are both the first born, so no sibling rivalry going on at home, so only what they do to the parents is all they see! The 16 month old tried to bite right before lunch so I stearnly told him "No, No we do not bite, Our mouths are for kissing and eating" I then sat him on the floor in the kitchen near me and told him to sit right there! He looked at me like I was the whicked, whicked witch of the south and then started to cry! He got up once and I just put him right back down in the same spot, he sat and stared at me! I gave him a little bit and then I walked over and told him "We do NOT bite, biting hurts!" I brought him to the child he tried to bite and gave him a hug and told him "No more biting, biting hurts" I don't know, we'll see how this all works out!! I told his mom yesterday again about what has been going on and she said he doesn't try to bite her, but he does pinch and hit, and while we were talking about all of these behaviors he was trying them out! LOL I guess he KNOWS what is going on and that is why I did the time out thing today, hopefully it gets better from here on out! I do NOT like biting!!! grrrrr
emosks 10:50 AM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
With small children, I use a deep and loud "mommy" voice. I overemphasize my facial expressions so they are sure to understand that I am unhappy with their behavior. I get down to their level, and get very close to them (trying to slightly invade their bubble) and say NO! NO! That was NOT nice, That was VERY naughty, and firmly sit them down and tell them to STAY. I make them as uncomfortable as possible when I do this.

Pretty much the same thing! We have the little ones like that sort of "pet" the person they were hurting and repeat "Gentle Touches" with each stroke. They seem to understand pretty quickly too. We have a 14 month old that is learning to smack kids for a reaction from them so you'll hear from the toy room one of the older kids teaching him the gentle touches.
Tags:1 year old, behavior
Reply Up