Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Posting Rates in Ads
legomom922 04:59 AM 08-12-2010
What do you all do? I always post my rates in my ads because it prevents wasted time & interviews. I would rather have someone contact me knowing my rates up front because then there are no suprises, and if they contact me knowin my rates, I know they are really interested. I have gotten some of my best clients using this tactic, and just wondered what you all thought of it?
emosks 05:22 AM 08-12-2010
We do not post rates in ads. They respond and we direct them to our website which has rates, fees, policies, rules, etc. We tell them to check it out and if they think we'll be a good fit to call us for an interview. Works well as we are full and have been from the beginning.
legomom922 03:00 PM 08-12-2010
Thanks! Anyone else have input?
Crystal 03:01 PM 08-12-2010
I post my rates. I don't like the awkward silence when they have to ask and then are surprised or they realize they annot afford it.

I charge $160 per week.
WImom 03:25 PM 08-12-2010
I post them on my website but not on my ads.
Michael 03:30 PM 08-12-2010
Actually Tom Copeland wrote about this on one of our threads which was very interesting on his take of it possibly being illegal to advertise rates: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...hlight=illegal
legomom922 05:19 PM 08-12-2010
I read through that whole thread and what is illegal is price fixing, but not advertising your rates, that is for public knowledge. Thanks for the reference. It was an interesting thread.
Michael 05:27 PM 08-12-2010
You’re welcome. Tom Copeland seems to be well known in Daycare circles. Member Abigail mentioned to me that he was giving a seminar in North Dakota and mentioned our thread and his conversation with us. Small world.
TomCopeland 10:25 AM 08-16-2010
In my experience most providers don't post rates, but some do. I don't think there is a right or wrong about this. If you post rates you may save time by not talking with parents who will never be able to afford you. However, if you do this you may also turn some parents away. I heard from one provider who said that she tells parents on the phone, "My policy is not to discuss rates on the phone. You need to visit my program to see its value." After enrolling in her program, one parent told her that if she had told him her price over the phone he would not have asked for an interview. Once he saw her program he realized that she offered very high quality and was willing to pay more.
Michael 10:35 AM 08-16-2010
Hi Tom nice to have you back. Is there a link that visitors and members can view or purchase your books from?
DanceMom 10:38 AM 08-16-2010
I do not post rates and actually do what Tom posted. I want them to come into my home, meet me, see what I have to offer and we discuss rates at the end of the interview. Usually 9 out of 10 times I charge more than most providers but I get almost every interview because they are willing to pay the amount that I charge after seeing/meeting.
SunflowerMama 11:04 AM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by emosks:
We do not post rates in ads. They respond and we direct them to our website which has rates, fees, policies, rules, etc. We tell them to check it out and if they think we'll be a good fit to call us for an interview. Works well as we are full and have been from the beginning.
This is exactly what I do.
MarinaVanessa 12:41 PM 08-16-2010
Originally Posted by Michael:
Hi Tom nice to have you back. Is there a link that visitors and members can view or purchase your books from?
Oooh I love Tom Copelands' books. So far I have purchased 3 of his books, Family Child Care Contracts & Policies, Family Child Care Marketing Guide, and Family Child Care Record-Keeping Guide. They are all great and I read and reference them often, even loaned them out. Others that I read but borrowed are Family Child Care Legal and Insurance Guide, and Family Child Care Money Management and Retirement Guide.

You can get them at Redleaf Press http://www.redleafpress.org/ if you want them new or you can try Amazon.com and eBay for used ones and for deals. I would really recommend reading his books. They give you lots of things to think about.
originalkat 06:35 PM 08-16-2010
I post my rates in my ads (through my website) because I do not want to waste my time interviewing/talking on the phone with someone who can not afford me. You need to know your area...but in my area if you cant afford it then you cant afford it (majority of people).... It wouldnt matter how wonderful your program was.

If you list your website in your ad then they do get a glimpse of all the great things about your program.
QualiTcare 07:08 PM 08-16-2010
i always posted rates - i think it's a good idea especially if your rates are higher than the people around you. you know if they call that they can afford it.
Abigail 07:57 PM 08-16-2010
I will post my rate in my web site, but not on CL or newspaper. Then they can see pictures of the atmosphere and read a little more-indepth before deciding if they want to give me a call or schedule an interview. I think it will be time saving.
TomCopeland 01:19 PM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by Michael:
Providers can also purchase my books through the National Association for Family Child Care website: www.nafcc.org. Members get a discount on my books.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:07 AM 08-19-2010
Well I for one am a Copeland fan. Ive been one since,.. Oh I dont know,.. 1994-1995?ish? Still have every issue of every book. Filed neatly in my basement library. Contracts and policies, record keeping, etc,... Im on my
21 st year of childcare and just when I think I know enough,.. I learn more. I thank you Tom,.. for giving me a resource to turn to when HR block said I couldnt claim anything because I worked out of my home. For the knowledge of how to calculate time space percent, I thank you for giving me the cahonies to require parents to sign a contract. To stand up for my rights as a working taxpayer.

I cant say enough about how your work has personally helped mine. Your books are written in easy to understand concepts and wording so as not to make me feel uneducated or in all honesty,.. stupid. So many times when we as providers tell someone what we do, or try to relay our business issues with others, we arent given the respect that you give us. I truly feel that you value our profession as an actual career. Not just something we do for pocket money. Hats off to you !!!
Crystal 01:22 PM 08-19-2010
I think there are MANY fans of Tom Copeland. When I first started my program, I bought a couple of his books, and learned how to do my own taxes. Well, I got audited after my second year. I contacted Tom, and guess what? He personally walked me through and gave me the evidence I needed to support my reasons for my claims. I ended up walking away from the audit unscathed and the IRS auditor was happy to learn a few things in the process!

Tom ROCKS!
TomCopeland 02:26 PM 08-25-2010
Wow. Thanks for all the nice comments!
Tom Copeland
Crystal 02:28 PM 08-25-2010
You are very welcome....you were a life saver when I needed help!
Tags:rates, tom copeland
Reply Up