Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Think This Looks Ok For Rest Time?
newtodaycare22 09:08 AM 12-02-2010
I have 3 three year olds (all nap) and 2 four year olds (both do not nap). All 'sleeping' must take place in my living room, with the smoke detectors. I have my threes sleeping in the living room and my fours go into the daycare room and play quietly on their mats (puzzles, books, etc.) for rest time. Do you think that's ok? I check on the 4 year olds obviously and I can hear their whispers.
momma2girls 10:43 AM 12-02-2010
I have every child lay down here, they don't have to nap, but they have to rest quietly with everyone else. The only children I allow up during quiet/nap time are the school aged children.
SimpleMom 12:18 PM 12-02-2010
I do somethin similar. Anyone under 4 has to lie down for rest. 4- sa can rest 20-30 min and then play quietly. if get loud, then back to the mats until they showme they are ready to play quietly again.
misol 12:50 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by SimpleMom:
I do somethin similar. Anyone under 4 has to lie down for rest. 4- sa can rest 20-30 min and then play quietly. if get loud, then back to the mats until they showme they are ready to play quietly again.

Here, anyone under school age rests on a cot for at least an hour. After that, they can get up and play quietly. If they get loud they go back on the cot for the remainder of rest time - no second chances. I guess I am a meanie. Luckily I have had very good nappers even the babies. I am one of those providers who feels that if your child has outgrown a nap then they have outgrown my program.
QualiTcare 12:51 PM 12-02-2010
i think you're doing the right thing letting the 4 year olds stay awake - i remember a diff. thread about that.

if it were me, i'd probably stay in the room more of the time with the 4 year olds and check in on the 3 year olds since they're asleep. if one of the 4 year olds got hurt or was saying something inappropriate and the parents asked where you were....they probably wouldn't be happy if they said, "oh she wasn't there." unless you told them the set up - i can't remember.

but - i'm assuming you're licensed, and if that's the case, i don't think any of the kids being out of view would fly. is there nowhere you can let the 4 year olds play where they're in view, but far enough not to wake the others up? even if you moved the napping spot?
newtodaycare22 07:24 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i think you're doing the right thing letting the 4 year olds stay awake - i remember a diff. thread about that.

if it were me, i'd probably stay in the room more of the time with the 4 year olds and check in on the 3 year olds since they're asleep. if one of the 4 year olds got hurt or was saying something inappropriate and the parents asked where you were....they probably wouldn't be happy if they said, "oh she wasn't there." unless you told them the set up - i can't remember.

but - i'm assuming you're licensed, and if that's the case, i don't think any of the kids being out of view would fly. is there nowhere you can let the 4 year olds play where they're in view, but far enough not to wake the others up? even if you moved the napping spot?
My licensing regulations state that I have to be able to hear OR see the child...and I can hear her from where I am (It's a one story, 1500 ft rancher. I can hear them everywhere in my house ). I spend some time in there with the 4s but the problem is they try to talk to me a lot...and some how it's harder to whisper to me than each other Usually, I only have the one four year old (the other is just 1 day a week).

In response to others post, I do have them lay down for the first 10-15 minutes, just to calm everyone down.
SilverSabre25 10:23 AM 12-03-2010
Sounds okay to me. I also wouldn't want to be in the same room with the non-nappers. Being around makes them want to play with you! Maybe put a video monitor in there to assuage any concerns parents might have.

FWIW, my state's rules are the same--be within sight/hearing range at all times.
newtodaycare22 02:57 PM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Sounds okay to me. I also wouldn't want to be in the same room with the non-nappers. Being around makes them want to play with you! Maybe put a video monitor in there to assuage any concerns parents might have.

FWIW, my state's rules are the same--be within sight/hearing range at all times.
Great idea about non nappers (the video monitor). Thanks!
Tags:nap time, quiet time
Reply Up