Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diarrhea As Result Of Antibiotics
SilverSabre25 07:20 AM 01-04-2011
I was warned this morning that the antibiotics my dcg is on might cause some vomiting or diarrhea. dcd said they hadn't seen any of that yet though.

Well, dcg had diarrhea up her her back a short time ago. Blech. I hope that's the only episode, but is there a point where if it happens x number of times I can/should call the parents to come get her, even though I know it's a result of the antibiotics?
Blackcat31 07:30 AM 01-04-2011
In my policy book it states that diarrhea FOR ANY REASON is not allowed! For me, that means twice. I don't care what is causing it.....YUCK!!! If it were me...and she did it again, I'd call and have her stay home until she is free from diarrhea for a FULL 24 hours.
MyAngels 07:44 AM 01-04-2011
It's been my experience that the only time antibiotics cause vomiting is when they are taken on an empty stomach, so I'd make sure she has had something to eat before giving the medicine.

As far as excluding for the diarrhea, while I wouldn't really want to deal with it (ick), I have a hard time excluding a child for that if I'm certain that's what causing it. Often they are on antibiotics for ten days (or more) and that's a long time to exclude a child for no real reason other than that I don't want to deal with the potential mess. I try to take as many precautions as I can to contain any potential messes, but I don't exclude anyone from care for it, as long as I'm 100% sure that's the cause of the diarrhea.
Lilbutterflie 07:53 AM 01-04-2011
Is she on Augmentin? I know first hand that it really can mess up their stomachs, and the first time my son was on it, I had to feed him, wait for the food to get to the stomach (about 20 min) and THEN give it to him, or he would vomit right away. And he had some serious diarrhea.
I would have a hard time excluding b/c of it as well; if you are certain it's caused by the antibiotic. Is she old enough to eat yogurt? This can help restore the balance in the stomach. I would also request the parents bring yogurt & pedialyte if the diarrhea continues. And lots of extra clothes.
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
It's been my experience that the only time antibiotics cause vomiting is when they are taken on an empty stomach, so I'd make sure she has had something to eat before giving the medicine.

As far as excluding for the diarrhea, while I wouldn't really want to deal with it (ick), I have a hard time excluding a child for that if I'm certain that's what causing it. Often they are on antibiotics for ten days (or more) and that's a long time to exclude a child for no real reason other than that I don't want to deal with the potential mess. I try to take as many precautions as I can to contain any potential messes, but I don't exclude anyone from care for it, as long as I'm 100% sure that's the cause of the diarrhea.
Where I live, licensing requires children to be excluded if they have diarrhea NO MATTER what is causing it. It isn't just that I don't want to clean it up (I don't) but it is not sanitary to allow a child in care who has diarrhea regardless of how contained the mess is.... On the flip side, I know if I allowed a child to remain here because I knew what was causing the diarrhea, I'd have ALL my parents telling me that their child's diarrhea was caused by anything BUT an illness; teething, something they ate, just not feeling well but not sick, ear infections, etc etc etc....
MyAngels 08:01 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
On the flip side, I know if I allowed a child to remain here because I knew what was causing the diarrhea, I'd have ALL my parents telling me that their child's diarrhea was caused by anything BUT an illness; teething, something they ate, just not feeling well but not sick, ear infections, etc etc etc....
so true.
SilverSabre25 08:34 AM 01-04-2011
Thanks, guys, so far there's been no more so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Pushing yogurt is a GREAT idea! I'm not sure what antibiotic she's on; I haven't looked yet (I have to give her a dose at 3). It's for Strep Throat, if that helps. I don't have much experience with antibiotics; my DD has never had them and I've only been on them 5 times in my whole life.

As for containing it--she's 14 months, 27 lbs, and wearing size 4 diapers. Would a larger diaper prevent the mess up the back problem?
MyAngels 11:15 AM 01-04-2011
I would use a bigger diaper, if available, and probably a onesie, long pants and a shirt that's longer in the body, just to keep it from going everywhere if you don't catch it right away, or it's really voluminous. Sometimes it gets better after a few days on the meds, so hopefully that will be the case for you.
MG&Lsmom 12:05 PM 01-04-2011
In addition to yogurt you can also give a probiotic, easily available at the drugstore. I use the Kids Culturelle when my kids go on antibiotics. It should also help her not develop a yeast infection. And I'd load her up on diaper cream even if doesn't have a rash yet. The only problem I see with sizing up a diaper is that it might cause gapping around the legs. That'd cause leaking. I use cloth diapers myself and those tend to contain messes better than disposables.
Tags:antibiotics, diarrhea
Reply Up