Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Initial Contact - Rates?
AfterSchoolMom 11:42 AM 01-07-2011
I have a CL ad out, and get emails all the time from people who ask only where I'm located and what my rates are. I tell them and then never hear from them again. Does anyone else have this happen? I even had one a couple of days ago that that was the ONLY question they asked, and one last week that I answered everything they asked except for my rate, and asked a couple of questions of my own - when they responded they just said "so what is your rate?". Ugh!

Just wondered if you go ahead and tell people your rates up front.

On a related note, I am really getting sick of people telling me that my rates are too expensive, when I feel that I am already asking for the very bare minimum!!!
Cat Herder 11:52 AM 01-07-2011
I personally never give out rates until they are seated on my couch. Keeps wanna be providers and "I'll show my provider I was right" parents from bugging me in my rare quiet time.

Edit: IF a provider tells me she is trying to start up I will tell and invite her to visit us. Honesty is respected and I have enjoyed the few who took me up on it. Typically though they just make some snarky remark about a high horse and hang up.
lvt77 11:53 AM 01-07-2011
I never give out my rates ove the phone, nor do I answer emails. when I advertise on Craigs list, I ask for phone calls only.
I make them come for a tour, I control the tour of the day care and explain all of my benefits. Once that is all done, we discuss rates....I even give them a list of other daycare providers in the area..
I have been told that my tours are very professional. I create a publication folder with all of my information in it. Explains everything, I provide everything in this folder except the contract. which gets filled out in the end..
hope this helps some
marniewon 05:45 PM 01-07-2011
In all my ads I direct them to my website, where I have my rates listed. Even though I wish that people were more concerned about quality childcare, I do understand that for many (most?) people in this economy, price is in the top 2 factors to consider when trying to find a daycare. I would rather they know my rates up front and decide whether they can afford it or not, then to go through the hassle of cleaning, printing stuff out, taking time out, for the interviews when they couldn't afford me anyway. I guess if you are really good at giving tours/interviewing and/or have a really great setup, it would be to your advantage to get them in the door and falling in love with your daycare before talking price. I, however, don't feel like I have anything exceptional to make them decide once they are here, that they don't want their child anywhere else. My home is clean, I have fun toys, and I love kids and vow to keep them safe and having fun. However, I don't do preschool, I don't have a dedicated daycare area, I don't have the latest and greatest toys, etc.
Gurdy 07:20 PM 01-07-2011
Rates are the first thing I tell them. I am not going to waste my time interviewing someone if they can not afford my rates. If they do not ask on the phone then I make sure I tell them.
I think the three most important things parents need to know when they call are rates, hours and location. I would never set up an interview with any one before telling them those three things.
mugglegirl 08:06 PM 01-07-2011
I would just tell them that rates are discussed during your interview process and you would be happy to set up a time for them. I think a lot of times, other providers will respond to ads to find out if they're rates are comparable.
mugglegirl 08:12 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by Gurdy:
Rates are the first thing I tell them. I am not going to waste my time interviewing someone if they can not afford my rates. If they do not ask on the phone then I make sure I tell them.
I think the three most important things parents need to know when they call are rates, hours and location. I would never set up an interview with any one before telling them those three things.

That's funny because my biggest thing is location. If I'm not anywhere near where they need care, then why do they even need to know my rates. I also don't give out my at first. I give the closest cross streets.
lvt77 09:50 PM 01-07-2011
I guess I have had good luck, I have only had one family did not join my daycare after an interview, but they did give me a really good lead which has been here for alomst a year...
Pammie 04:31 AM 01-08-2011
I absolutely give my rates when asked in the initial phone conversation! I understand that family finances are different for each family and difficult for most. I understand that daycare is a big chunk out of a family's budget. I don't want to waste my time - nor theirs - if they simply can't (or don't want to afford my rates).
dEHmom 05:06 AM 01-08-2011
I have the same issues Afterschoolmom, where I get lots of responses to ads but then never hear from them again.
I am on the fence with the telling of rates or not. I feel that that is the biggest factor in ultimately getting children in care or not. Then I find being licensed/unlicensed is the next.

To stop spending the time answering these questions I posted them in my ads. Now I don't get all the emails, and phone calls anymore. Now I get "are you Licensed?" ok click.

But my issue about posting the rates is, I am very flexible and willing to adjust the rates for special situations. I dont' want to advertise that, because then everyone will have a special situation. So it is tough. In March I have a full timer starting, and next week week I have an interview with a little baby girl, who may be starting part time temp and moving up to full time later. But until that deposit is placed, I am not holding my breath.
QualiTcare 12:09 PM 01-08-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I absolutely give my rates when asked in the initial phone conversation! I understand that family finances are different for each family and difficult for most. I understand that daycare is a big chunk out of a family's budget. I don't want to waste my time - nor theirs - if they simply can't (or don't want to afford my rates).
exactly!! i don't see how the people who say, "we'll discuss rates at the interview" get any clients. i wouldn't want to drive to someone's house and waste time with a tour, talking, etc. only to FINALLY be told a rate i couldn't afford.

i just can't envision the phone conversation between someone asking the rate and the person who won't tell. i'm replaying something similar to a skit on SNL.

lots of people ARE going to say your rates are too high no matter what they are! mine were kind of high which is why i put it all out there so if someone called - i knew they could afford it
Lucy 12:17 PM 01-08-2011
I give rates over the phone. As some said, I wouldn't want them to come over and sit for an interview, then find out my rates aren't in line with what they're willing to pay.

I do, however, get some preliminary info first. When people call, usually the FIRST thing they say is, "I saw your ad for Daycare in the paper. So how much do you charge?" I would never answer that right away. I ask what age is the child, and what days and hours do you need care? Often they will want to start at 5am, or stay till 8pm or something odd like that. I just say sorry, my hours are 7:30 to 5:30. (Seems to me if you have really early or really late hours that would be your FIRST question, but whatever..) Anyway, once I get the feeling that this child could possibly fit in well, and I feel like they are not just trolls calling to find out rates but you'll never hear from them again, I will tell them my daily rate.
QualiTcare 12:21 PM 01-08-2011
Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
I have the same issues Afterschoolmom, where I get lots of responses to ads but then never hear from them again.
I am on the fence with the telling of rates or not. I feel that that is the biggest factor in ultimately getting children in care or not. Then I find being licensed/unlicensed is the next.

To stop spending the time answering these questions I posted them in my ads. Now I don't get all the emails, and phone calls anymore. Now I get "are you Licensed?" ok click.

But my issue about posting the rates is, I am very flexible and willing to adjust the rates for special situations. I dont' want to advertise that, because then everyone will have a special situation. So it is tough. In March I have a full timer starting, and next week week I have an interview with a little baby girl, who may be starting part time temp and moving up to full time later. But until that deposit is placed, I am not holding my breath.
you should put something like:

Full time care/5 days per week - $150 weekly
Part time care/3 days per week - $90 weekly

Rates are negotiable depending on your schedule.

I don't think that sounds like you would give a discount. It sounds like you might be willing to only watch a child 2 days a week for a little less or whatever. But someone who maybe DOES need care 5 days a week but only for a few hours a day might call to see if you would do it for less than the regular full time rate.
marniewon 03:50 PM 01-08-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I give rates over the phone. As some said, I wouldn't want them to come over and sit for an interview, then find out my rates aren't in line with what they're willing to pay.

I do, however, get some preliminary info first. When people call, usually the FIRST thing they say is, "I saw your ad for Daycare in the paper. So how much do you charge?" I would never answer that right away. I ask what age is the child, and what days and hours do you need care? Often they will want to start at 5am, or stay till 8pm or something odd like that. I just say sorry, my hours are 7:30 to 5:30. (Seems to me if you have really early or really late hours that would be your FIRST question, but whatever..) Anyway, once I get the feeling that this child could possibly fit in well, and I feel like they are not just trolls calling to find out rates but you'll never hear from them again, I will tell them my daily rate.
Yep, this. I don't just give out rates without finding out what their actual needs are.
lvt77 03:51 PM 01-08-2011
try telling them that you are flexible with your rates and that can be discussed at the interview......If you have a program that is amazing then sometimes money talks...
Abigail 07:34 PM 01-08-2011
Hours....I would ask them what days and hours they are looking for and see if they're a good match. This would also include asking how old the child is to make sure I had a good ratio too.

Rate....I would not flat out say my rate because I do plan to change it slightly depending on many situations (if I'm full, how many hours they need, maybe what age the child is, etc). I don't want to say my rates go from this amount up to this amount because I don't want to explain my "hidden" details of how I set the rate or that would defeat the purpose of creating different rates at my knowledge. I would, however, tell them I'm average on rates around $25/day (If I go with $125/week for example).

Location....I would NEVER give out my address right away. I will always require a person to call.....NOT email. They can initially email me if I choose to advertise that way, but I prefer to speak on the phone to weed out some of the "fake" people. If they refuse or don't call then I will not give out any rates/location details (like in an email I may say give me a call at --------- and I will discuss rates with you). In a phone conversation I would give out the name of the addition/area I live in and we have so many in our city and most people are familiar with them so they would know by that within a mile of where we're located.
Tags:advertising, interview, new family
Reply Up