Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-30-2011, 07:16 AM
littlemommy's Avatar
littlemommy littlemommy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 568
Default shoes when learning to walk?

Yesterday I had a mom of a 13 month old insist that I keep his shoes on ALL day. She said it will help with his walking. I've always heard to let babies be barefoot when learning to walk, and told her that. She said "yeah, I've always heard that too, but someone just told me that shoes will definitely help. Please do NOT take them off of him all day."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-30-2011, 08:01 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

No shoes inside the house.

He will step on someones fingers.

We must do what is best for the group not what is best for her one child. Time for her to start thinking of the others.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Meyou's Avatar
Meyou Meyou is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,705
Default

No shoes in the house here either. Is he booked for a race that he needs to be pushed to walk?? In training for a marathon at 2 perhaps?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-30-2011, 08:23 AM
littlemommy's Avatar
littlemommy littlemommy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 568
Default

We are also a no shoe household. He doesn't keep them on for long, so there's no point in me chasing them down all day. My 20 month old saw this morning that the little guy had shoes on so he had to go get his.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemommy View Post
Yesterday I had a mom of a 13 month old insist that I keep his shoes on ALL day. She said it will help with his walking. I've always heard to let babies be barefoot when learning to walk, and told her that. She said "yeah, I've always heard that too, but someone just told me that shoes will definitely help. Please do NOT take them off of him all day."
Here is a couple of snippets of reasearch supporting children learning to walk with out shoes.

http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/pfmedresearch.htm

We are also a no shoe home. I don't like the dirt shoes bring in and like Nan said, it is a danger to the others so group needs outweigh individual needs here.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-30-2011, 08:39 AM
littlemommy's Avatar
littlemommy littlemommy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Here is a couple of snippets of reasearch supporting children learning to walk with out shoes.

http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/pfmedresearch.htm

We are also a no shoe home. I don't like the dirt shoes bring in and like Nan said, it is a danger to the others so group needs outweigh individual needs here.
Good article! I wish I had dc parent's email addresses so I could forward good information on.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemommy View Post
Good article! I wish I had dc parent's email addresses so I could forward good information on.
Print it out and pass it on to her so your rules are supported by some reasearch. I tuck little newletter type info into the kids' weekly folders so I can share stuff with parents.

Is she agreeing to not have her child wear shoes or are you allowing the shoes? I wonder where she got her info that it will help him?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-30-2011, 08:46 AM
littlemommy's Avatar
littlemommy littlemommy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Print it out and pass it on to her so your rules are supported by some reasearch. I tuck little newletter type info into the kids' weekly folders so I can share stuff with parents.

Is she agreeing to not have her child wear shoes or are you allowing the shoes? I wonder where she got her info that it will help him?
Today I took them off after a bit. I wanted to see if there really is a difference in his "walking." Not sure why she's so anxious for him to walk...he doesn't even stand if he's not holding onto something. After I took them off, I noticed that he was walking along furniture more. Proof!! haha
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-30-2011, 08:57 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,625
Default

I'm guessing that these are more than the Robeeze-type slipper things.

Wearing shoes actually impedes their learning to walk because they can't bend their foot very well with shoes on. The reason he's walking more along furniture without the shoes on is because he can move his foot better and feel better what he's doing!

Poor little guy. I bet it was her mom or grandmother or similar well-meaning-but-older person who told her that it would help.

Personally, this is the kind of thing where I would take them off as soon as mom is out of sight and put them back on 15 minutes before she's due to pick-up. Just don't mention it to her; you're not going to change her mind. Frankly she sounds like she's mildly off her rocker.

I had a set like her last fall...drugged their daughter with Benedryl ("she has a slight cold") every.single.day. Wanted me to keep shoes on her constantly ("her feet get too cold"). Picked her up early one day when a windstorm was due to be hitting our area ("Have you been following the news?! There could be tornados!! Do you have a tornado plan?! WE"RE PICKING HER UP!!!111!1 Zomg!!!!")
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-30-2011, 09:00 AM
littlemommy's Avatar
littlemommy littlemommy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
I'm guessing that these are more than the Robeeze-type slipper things.

Wearing shoes actually impedes their learning to walk because they can't bend their foot very well with shoes on. The reason he's walking more along furniture without the shoes on is because he can move his foot better and feel better what he's doing!

Poor little guy. I bet it was her mom or grandmother or similar well-meaning-but-older person who told her that it would help.

Personally, this is the kind of thing where I would take them off as soon as mom is out of sight and put them back on 15 minutes before she's due to pick-up. Just don't mention it to her; you're not going to change her mind. Frankly she sounds like she's mildly off her rocker.

I had a set like her last fall...drugged their daughter with Benedryl ("she has a slight cold") every.single.day. Wanted me to keep shoes on her constantly ("her feet get too cold"). Picked her up early one day when a windstorm was due to be hitting our area ("Have you been following the news?! There could be tornados!! Do you have a tornado plan?! WE"RE PICKING HER UP!!!111!1 Zomg!!!!")
off her rocker is right. See my post about keeping him drugged 24/7
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-30-2011, 09:09 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

I would give the mom the flyer someone else posted. Little ones do not need shoes, period.

I am a no shoe house. The only time we wear shoes is when we walk outside the FRONT door, rarely wear shoes out back.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

No shoes inside the house...but def. outside in WI in the fall would be nice. 3 weeks now since I asked mom for some....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Wish Parents Could Walk A Mile In Our Shoes Zoe Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 03-03-2011 02:48 PM
4 Yr Old And Shoes alyssyn Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 12-17-2010 05:33 PM
Parents with Greasy Shoes mac60 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 16 11-02-2010 09:23 AM
Shoes gkids09 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 03-19-2010 03:43 PM
Trouble with Parents Taking Their Shoes Off? momma2girls Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 11-25-2009 03:59 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:45 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming