Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No, it's NOT Teething
SilverSabre25 05:09 AM 09-05-2012
A watery diarrhea diaper, coughing, and a fever between 100 and 100.9 is NOT teething.

Just sayin'.

95% sure dcb had Tylenol this morning and will get feverish around 11:30 again, just like yesterday. Parents insist it's teething. I discouraged that idea. His fever yesterday hovered juuuuust under the exclusion level and the diarrhea was contained, and only once, so....yeah....he's here today.
kayla 05:30 AM 09-05-2012
I love it teething is always the excuse even when I talked to my babies doctor and the doctor said teething has not been proven related to diareah.. They all say it so they don't have to bring there kids home it's annoying!
countrymom 05:31 AM 09-05-2012
i find that those who give lots of tylenol have kids who have watery diarrhea (dead give away) I always know when they are given medicine because they have such bad poops.
SilverSabre25 06:14 AM 09-05-2012
Yeah, I don't think full on diarrhea is teething related--loose stools, maybe. Esp. loose ones that are kind of mucousy, if it's the teeth that make the nose drip.

I think some kids run a bit warm when they're teething, but it's either 99 or one of those "gosh you feel hot, but the thermometer says normal, but you feel hot!" kinds that I call a "mommy fever"--mommy can tell but the thermometer can't.

Interesting about the link between a bad diaper and Tylenol...I'll have to watch for that.
Sugar Magnolia 09:55 AM 09-05-2012
Yep! Its not teething.
littlemissmuffet 10:51 AM 09-05-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
A watery diarrhea diaper, coughing, and a fever between 100 and 100.9 is NOT teething.

Just sayin'.

95% sure dcb had Tylenol this morning and will get feverish around 11:30 again, just like yesterday. Parents insist it's teething. I discouraged that idea. His fever yesterday hovered juuuuust under the exclusion level and the diarrhea was contained, and only once, so....yeah....he's here today.
I have a whole section in my handbook about teething and how it will NEVER be a passable excuse for illness or illness symptoms in my home - so don't even bother. I used to hear the whole teething thing almost weekly (from parents of kids as OLD AS FIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!). Once I added the no teething excuse into my policy nobody has tried to use it again. Amazing, uh??
littlemommy 08:18 AM 09-06-2012
Today I has a mom come and tell me her 19 month old had a fever but she had medicine so she should be okay. I asked what the fever was and when she last had meds. Fever was 101 and she had meds this morning. I told her 3 times that I can't have her here with a fever. She said it's from teething, than changed her mind and said the fever was yesterday. I held my ground and said again that I can't have her here. She grabbed her kids and walked out.
itlw8 08:31 AM 09-06-2012
well it may not be proven but my oldest ds did get diarreah every time he cut a tooth. like clock work. but no fever. unfortunately it continued after all his teeth were in and then we found he also had a milk allergy.
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 09-06-2012
IMPO, it really doesn't matter what is causing diarrhea or a fever or a rash or any other symptoms parents believe teething causes. It might very well be teething but they still can't be at daycare.

NO fever, NO diarrhea, NO rashes.

Whenever a parent tries to use the excuse of teething, I just say I am not concerned with the cause, just the symptoms.

I exclude for symptoms NOT causes. When you word it like that, people tend to understand better.
SilverSabre25 08:36 AM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
IMPO, it really doesn't matter what is causing diarrhea or a fever or a rash or any other symptoms parents believe teething causes. It might very well be teething but they still can't be at daycare.

Whenever a parent tries to use the excuse of teething, I just say I am not concerned with the cause, just the symptoms.

I exclude for symptoms NOT explanations.
Like the phrase...must remember that
itlw8 10:04 AM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I exclude for symptoms NOT causes. When you word it like that, people tend to understand better.

I do too but I also have gotten to know the kids. so I kno when A ate too much fruit,,, or P is on an antibiotic that causes her problems.

I guess it is because as a young mom my provider worked with me. We kept a food diary and charted his diareah and found those problem foods. She was even good enough to measure the food. That way we found he could have up to 1/4 cup milk with no problem so we no longer worried about it in baked goods.

I could not have worked that first year if she had not kept him when there were no other symptoms.

This group of children I KNOW if they have a very loose stool something is wrong and I call the parents. a fairly new child I would do the same. I guess you just make exceptions when you know each childs body functions as we do.
Blackcat31 11:36 AM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I do too but I also have gotten to know the kids. so I kno when A ate too much fruit,,, or P is on an antibiotic that causes her problems.

I guess it is because as a young mom my provider worked with me. We kept a food diary and charted his diareah and found those problem foods. She was even good enough to measure the food. That way we found he could have up to 1/4 cup milk with no problem so we no longer worried about it in baked goods.

I could not have worked that first year if she had not kept him when there were no other symptoms.

This group of children I KNOW if they have a very loose stool something is wrong and I call the parents. a fairly new child I would do the same. I guess you just make exceptions when you know each childs body functions as we do.
I agree that really knowing a child/family helps tremendously but even if I knew Johnny had diarrhea because of an antibiotic or eating something, doesn't mean his explosive BM's are safe for my environment.

Also I have several really young ones in care (as well as a DH who helps me out alot) and all of them have compromised or weak immune systems so loose stool and vomiting (even if I THINK I know the cause) can simply not be allowed in a group setting.

I understand how hard it is for families to take time off when they have a young one but honestly, it is part of parenting and I can't help that. My job is to watch out for the group as a whole BEFORE making exceptions for a kid I am routinely familiar with. Doesn't mean I am not empathetic...just have to do what I have to do.

There is also the issue of one parent seeing you "knowing" and making exceptions for Johnny and then expecting the same special treatment.....Not even gonna go there.
Tags:teething
Reply Up