Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two DCF Are Expecting And I Am Full!
kgirl04 09:23 PM 08-04-2013
Two of my dcms have just told me they are expecting a new baby next spring. Due to the capacity regulations in our state, I don't have room for either of the new babies. I currently have five daycare families with one child each in my care (plus my own LO) for a total of six under age 2. I know I will have to ask families to find other childcare options, but which ones? Do I ask the ones who have been here the least amount of time to leave, or do I ask the ones who are having the babies? I hate sending these kids away- they are great kids and great families; I just don't know how to handle it!
P.S. I know I shouldn't have taken so many families with first-borns; knew this was going to happen, but needed to be full for the paycheck.
BumbleBee 03:46 AM 08-05-2013
A lot can happen between now and then. The 2 dcm expecting may decide to stay home. Other families may leave due to circustances out of their control.

I was full when a current dcm informed me she was expecting and due this winter. I worried about what to do because I didn't have room for the new baby. Turns out 1 of my families ended up having to move due to an unexpected job tranfer so now I have room for the new little one.

I don't have any advice for you but just know that things can change very quickly in this business
Laurel 03:53 AM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
A lot can happen between now and then. The 2 dcm expecting may decide to stay home. Other families may leave due to circustances out of their control.

I was full when a current dcm informed me she was expecting and due this winter. I worried about what to do because I didn't have room for the new baby. Turns out 1 of my families ended up having to move due to an unexpected job tranfer so now I have room for the new little one.

I don't have any advice for you but just know that things can change very quickly in this business

Laurel
Rachel 03:57 AM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by kgirl04:
Two of my dcms have just told me they are expecting a new baby next spring. Due to the capacity regulations in our state, I don't have room for either of the new babies. I currently have five daycare families with one child each in my care (plus my own LO) for a total of six under age 2. I know I will have to ask families to find other childcare options, but which ones? Do I ask the ones who have been here the least amount of time to leave, or do I ask the ones who are having the babies? I hate sending these kids away- they are great kids and great families; I just don't know how to handle it!
P.S. I know I shouldn't have taken so many families with first-borns; knew this was going to happen, but needed to be full for the paycheck.
I agree do nothing now, a lot can happen between now and next spring. If they ask, tell them when the time gets closer if you have a space available we will sit and talk.
Familycare71 04:15 AM 08-05-2013
Yes!! Don't term anyone now- wait for a while and see how it plays itself out-
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:17 AM 08-05-2013
hold it.. did you say you have 6 under 2??!! Is that legal in your state? WOW! In Ohio I can have 6 kids but only 3 under 2!
I love little ones but I don't know how physically you can do that!
Play Care 04:25 AM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by Rachel:
I agree do nothing now, a lot can happen between now and next spring. If they ask, tell them when the time gets closer if you have a space available we will sit and talk.

Be careful not to make any promises you can't keep. At the end of the day, this is not *your* problem. This is something the parents will have to figure out. They knew you were full and knew you probably didn't have spots and chose to move forward anyway. I find these things tend to work themselves out without any effort on my part.
Good Luck!!
Laurel 04:29 AM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
hold it.. did you say you have 6 under 2??!! Is that legal in your state? WOW! In Ohio I can have 6 kids but only 3 under 2!
In Florida (my county; counties are different) we can have 6 under 2 but only 3 of them can be under 1.

Laurel
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:12 AM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
In Florida (my county; counties are different) we can have 6 under 2 but only 3 of them can be under 1.

Laurel
Wow! That is a lot of little ones! I do find that these things work themselves out too and generally not how I would have thought!
MyAngels 05:28 AM 08-05-2013
I've had this happen, and I just let the expecting moms know that I can't guarantee a spot and they should consider their options in case there are no openings. In every case I either ended up having room after all or the new moms put the babies with another provider until I could take them.
Crazy8 05:39 AM 08-05-2013
I am in the same boat right now, only one of the expecting families I'm not sure I want back.

I agree with all the others, don't worry too much about it right now. If dcm's inquire just let them know that you'll have to see what openings come up when the time gets closer.

If the time comes and you want to term someone to take a sibling the things I'd look at are the longevity of the client (one of the older ones w/no siblings in the near future), their hours, and then my relationship with them.
craftymissbeth 08:38 AM 08-05-2013
In Kansas we can technically have 7 kids under 2 as long as none are under 18 months.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:01 AM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
In Kansas we can technically have 7 kids under 2 as long as none are under 18 months.
Wow! I know I say I could have all infants but I am glad Ohio limits it to 3 under 2! When I had 3 under 2 and two 2 yr olds and a unpotty trained 3 yr old it was hard! Just time wise I can't figure enough hours in the day to do everything!
Rachel 10:34 AM 08-05-2013
Here they only have daycare until 3 (as opposed to UPK), and the official groups are groups of 5 kids, but private people sometimes take up to 8
Unregistered 12:47 PM 08-05-2013
Yes, haha! The cuttoff in KS is 18 months- I can have 3 under 18 months and 3 18 mo - school age. Ages are 23 mo, 23 mo, 21 mo, 16 mo, 9 mo, and 8 mo. Lots of fun at this house!
kgirl04 01:10 PM 08-05-2013
Thanks for the advice! I will try not to worry too much about it!
Starburst 02:09 PM 08-05-2013

That's what I was going to say, don't count your chickens before they hatch! I would wait at least 2 or 3 months before their due dates before discussing with expecting daycare moms if you will take their new babies. Also one or both of them may decided to stay home or go on maternity leave for a while.
renodeb 02:44 PM 08-05-2013
I agree with others dont do anything right now. Things do change rapidly. I went from no new babies on horizon to two due in January! Just see how it all shakes out!
Deb
Blackcat31 02:57 PM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by kgirl04:
I wouldn't worry right now as lots can and does change in only a few months, however....I would probably mention to the expecting parents that you "may not" have available space and won't know for sure if you do or don't until closer to Spring time.

Then, I would let both expecting moms know that IF you do have a space available they won't/don't automatically get the space as you may have others interested as well.

The minute I have an infant space available, I notify current families (in case one of them wants/needs it) but I ONLY hold the space if payment is made for it.

I won't hold a space for free. Whether family is currently enrolled or not.
Familycare71 03:05 PM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I wouldn't worry right now as lots can and does change in only a few months, however....I would probably mention to the expecting parents that you "may not" have available space and won't know for sure if you do or don't until closer to Spring time.

Then, I would let both expecting moms know that IF you do have a space available they won't/don't automatically get the space as you may have others interested as well.

The minute I have an infant space available, I notify current families (in case one of them wants/needs it) but I ONLY hold the space if payment is made for it.

I won't hold a space for free. Whether family is currently enrolled or not.
I learned that lesson the hard way! I had a mom with a child enrolled that became pregnant. She told me she wanted the baby here so I held the spot- for 7 months!!! Just before the baby was born she told me she was going to have a family friend watch the kids NEVER again will I hold a spot for free!
Blackcat31 03:13 PM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I learned that lesson the hard way! I had a mom with a child enrolled that became pregnant. She told me she wanted the baby here so I held the spot- for 7 months!!! Just before the baby was born she told me she was going to have a family friend watch the kids NEVER again will I hold a spot for free!
Yep, happens a lot. (Most the rules I have are due to learning things the hard way. )

I also suggested letting the current moms know there may not be space available because sometimes they simply assume that since you have the older sibling, you will automatically take the new baby.
Familycare71 03:49 PM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yep, happens a lot. (Most the rules I have are due to learning things the hard way. )

I also suggested letting the current moms know there may not be space available because sometimes they simply assume that since you have the older sibling, you will automatically take the new baby.
Yes!! Me too!! parents! Lol
And I agree- parents assume a lot!
trippingontoys 08:17 AM 08-09-2013
I termed a child in June because his mother was due in July and I didn't have room for the baby. Two weeks later my full time family of four dropped down to one day a week when the mom took a part time job. And I haven't been able to replace them. A lot can happen between now and then...............
butterfly 08:41 AM 08-09-2013

Agreed! I wouldn't worry about it now. If you are still full by then, I'd let go of the worst headache. If everyone is golden, the family with the newborn would probably have to be gone. It's not fair to dump another good family because someone else had a baby.
Reply Up