Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Give Refunds?
Kabob 06:06 PM 05-28-2014
Do you give a refund if you term a family for violation of contract and/or an aggressive child?

I ask because dcd that I mentioned before has once again pushed tonight for an earlier drop off time for Friday. I have an appt at the hospital tomorrow morning and if it doesn't go well then I will be stuck there the rest of tomorrow and Friday. Plus his kids were TERRIBLE today. Suddenly they were giving the attitude that dcd gave me and the eldest dcb (5.5 yo) flat out whipped a mud pie into my son's face as hard as he could and then laughed at my 2 yo son for crying about it (dcb ended up losing many privileges today because of this behavior but flat out said I wasn't allowed to "take his stuff" because he doesn't do anything wrong). He then told me he didn't have to listen to me because he's not coming here anymore (their mom cut their 2 week notice short by a week so Friday is their last day). My assistant and I struggled to get the siblings to listen as they became more wild as the day went on...I'm scared about how tomorrow is going to go for her while I'm at the hospital.

So I denied the early drop off request but between the dcd constantly trying to violate the contract and being aggressive/rude/angry about it...and then dcb becoming more difficult every day. I'm expecting a blow out from it...

My contract says I can term at will and that I am not obligated to give refunds. But I just want to give them a refund tomorrow morning and be done but dh says that since my contract says that a lack of 2 week notice means all credit is forfeit and also it says I don't have to give refunds I should keep the money. I just don't want to deal with this drama now and don't want to worry about dcd pounding on my door for money while I'm worrying about my pregnancy or at the hospital. Not cool...I was not expecting this and just want to cry...

Sorry...just needed to vent but I always appreciate feedback...
Leigh 06:15 PM 05-28-2014
I would NOT refund this family. If the children are out of control tomorrow, remove them from the situation. If they spend the day separated from the other kids, they can't hurt them. When they tell you that you CAN'T do something, flat out tell them that in YOUR house, YOU make the rules, and can do whatever you feel is necessary. Don't be afraid to take control. If you must term immediately, no way would I refund. No way.
Annalee 06:18 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
Do you give a refund if you term a family for violation of contract and/or an aggressive child?

I ask because dcd that I mentioned before has once again pushed tonight for an earlier drop off time for Friday. I have an appt at the hospital tomorrow morning and if it doesn't go well then I will be stuck there the rest of tomorrow and Friday. Plus his kids were TERRIBLE today. Suddenly they were giving the attitude that dcd gave me and the eldest dcb (5.5 yo) flat out whipped a mud pie into my son's face as hard as he could and then laughed at my 2 yo son for crying about it (dcb ended up losing many privileges today because of this behavior but flat out said I wasn't allowed to "take his stuff" because he doesn't do anything wrong). He then told me he didn't have to listen to me because he's not coming here anymore (their mom cut their 2 week notice short by a week so Friday is their last day). My assistant and I struggled to get the siblings to listen as they became more wild as the day went on...I'm scared about how tomorrow is going to go for her while I'm at the hospital.

So I denied the early drop off request but between the dcd constantly trying to violate the contract and being aggressive/rude/angry about it...and then dcb becoming more difficult every day. I'm expecting a blow out from it...

My contract says I can term at will and that I am not obligated to give refunds. But I just want to give them a refund tomorrow morning and be done but dh says that since my contract says that a lack of 2 week notice means all credit is forfeit and also it says I don't have to give refunds I should keep the money. I just don't want to deal with this drama now and don't want to worry about dcd pounding on my door for money while I'm worrying about my pregnancy or at the hospital. Not cool...I was not expecting this and just want to cry...

Sorry...just needed to vent but I always appreciate feedback...
No; my contract says I may terminate at will without notice...but clients must give 2 weeks notice for termination of contract.
Kabob 06:32 PM 05-28-2014
I just don't want to fight while I'm dealing with a new baby...and on top of that my ds has developed diarrhea tonight so I'm tempted to close...I have paid sick days but they would NOT be happy about me using it now...too much of a coincidence for them...
preschoolteacher 06:50 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
I just don't want to fight while I'm dealing with a new baby...and on top of that my ds has developed diarrhea tonight so I'm tempted to close...I have paid sick days but they would NOT be happy about me using it now...too much of a coincidence for them...
You're pregnant, right? Going to the hospital tomorrow for an appointment? USE THOSE SICK DAYS!! I can't think of a better reason to, since it seems your health truly isn't great. Staying healthy for yourself and your new family is more important than staying open under those circumstances.
preschoolteacher 06:51 PM 05-28-2014
Oh, and your son has diarrhea? I'd say your sick days are justified with all that.
Kabob 07:09 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
You're pregnant, right? Going to the hospital tomorrow for an appointment? USE THOSE SICK DAYS!! I can't think of a better reason to, since it seems your health truly isn't great. Staying healthy for yourself and your new family is more important than staying open under those circumstances.
Yeah it's just poor timing and I know it will make the parents extremely angry even though I honestly don't think ds is up to daycare tomorrow if this continues...I know I'm not.
SSWonders 04:35 AM 05-29-2014
According to your contract you can terminate and they will not be refunded. You are perfectly within your right to do so. For ME, I would refund them and send them packing, just so I didn't have to deal with them anymore. It's not worth it.
Kabob 02:40 PM 05-29-2014
Eh...maybe it won't be a problem...dcd asked again for the schedule change for tomorrow while I was at the hospital. I basically said no but offered to do a half hour early change for a hefty fee...so it would be worth it...
grandmom 03:36 PM 05-29-2014
You won't be there Friday. Don't be surprised if he just shows up and bullies your sub into letting the kids stay. Can your sub stand up to him?
Kabob 03:57 PM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by grandmom:
You won't be there Friday. Don't be surprised if he just shows up and bullies your sub into letting the kids stay. Can your sub stand up to him?
Well if I'm the hospital tomorrow I'm just gonna close. Not worth our worry. But if dcd doesn't pay the fee then he can't come even 1 minute early. If they can't be civil about following the rules then I'm not going to waste my sub's time or my money paying her...then again dcm arrived and started yelling because she was angry I wouldn't change the schedule nor waive my fees so I'm inclined to not accommodate any schedule change for tomorrow...even if they want to pay the fee...
Little Buttons 05:40 PM 05-29-2014
So let me get this straight...

They have chosen to leave without proper notice?

They are making requests and then disrespecting your "no"?

They are giving you attitude and being aggressive?

They are yelling at you? (What the what btw!?)

They are involving their children to the point of turning them against you?

Honey, let them go! You deserve to be treated with respect at all times! They clearly are trying to use you. They cannot respect your "no" or contract. You do not owe them anything! Let them get mad and take it for what it is...a grown up baby tantrum. They are bullying you! You deserve better, your children deserver better. Let them walk away, throw their fit and you focus on the things in your life that are worth your love, time and consideration!!
Kabob 05:48 PM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by Little Buttons:
So let me get this straight...

They have chosen to leave without proper notice?

They are making requests and then disrespecting your "no"?

They are giving you attitude and being aggressive?

They are yelling at you? (What the what btw!?)

They are involving their children to the point of turning them against you?

Honey, let them go! You deserve to be treated with respect at all times! They clearly are trying to use you. They cannot respect your "no" or contract. You do not owe them anything! Let them get mad and take it for what it is...a grown up baby tantrum. They are bullying you! You deserve better, your children deserver better. Let them walk away, throw their fit and you focus on the things in your life that are worth your love, time and consideration!!
Yep. And they are acting like I'm being ridiculous when I reminded them that I am merely enforcing the contract they signed. Dcm was more taking out her anger on her kids (ie "DON'T BOTHER PUTTING YOUR SHOES ON LET'S GO!!!!") but yeah...very angry about me adding the fees on there to get them to stop asking and to remind them how flexible I have been for them when they needed it...stupid me. If they show up tomorrow, I'm inclined to send them home for any violation....they don't have spare clothes...no diapers....and no respect...

But hey....I get a proper maternity leave now!
SignMeUp 05:51 PM 05-29-2014
If I didn't know better I would say my old dcfamily found you

All I can do is tell you how happy I am since they've been gone. I want to sing every single day
sugar buzz 06:29 AM 05-30-2014
I know how hard it is, but don't take him personally. He treats everyone like that. You're just his latest target. Your contract told him exactly what to expect. He bends rules, by behaving badly. Don't waste one ounce of mental energy on them. Just become a robot and keep stating your contract. Soon, they'll be a memory, and making someone else's life miserable, and you'll be free of them, with a new baby--win, win, for you! By the way, I just had to sign a three page contract on the policies for starting and ending my DD piano lessons--welcome to the real world, buddy!!!!!!!
NightOwl 07:10 AM 05-30-2014
How did it go today kabob?
Kabob 07:52 AM 05-30-2014
So far so good. Normal drop off time with normal behavior as if everything is peachy. As long as pick up goes just as smoothly, this could be a nice last day before my maternity leave. Fingers crossed everyone behaves.
Reply Up