Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Ugh, bad feeling right from initial email

I met a g-ma at the park with her kids (2.5DCB and 2SA DCG around my daughter's age), and she mentioned that her daughter was having trouble finding care with her weird schedule. I said I had availability, but that I required at least 3 days a week for a rotating schedule. I gave her my email address, and just got an email from the mom including:

" I am looking for someone but on a schedule that works for my family."

"I take off all pd/holidays with the kids."

week 1 - M-Thur (some Fridays during this week 1 schedule)
week 2 - thur, fri
week 3 - mon-wed
week 4 - tues-fri
week 5 - mon

SA:

week 1 - mon-thurs
week 2 - thur, fri
week 3 - mon-wed
they would not need after care week 4 or 5.

I have no problem telling her that she is welcome to whatever days she wants, as long as she guarantees 3 days a week, and she can take it or leave it. But the tone of the email just rubbed me the wrong way a bit and left me with a bad taste in my mouth a bit.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Daycare.com Member

If you think it's going to be easy money and the kids seem ok, then why not? It's only for a month, right?

My dcks stay home on paid holidays, too, because I am closed. Is she implying she's not going to pay for those days for you? At this point does that mean Labor Day?

I think most dcfs would like to have a provider that allows their kids to attend on a schedule that works for their family. I wouldn't read into it too much.

Maybe email her back & see what her tone is then take it from there. What do you have to lose?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

I would stop emailing her and call her.

Hi sue,

I got your email and just wanted to make sure that I have a good understanding of it.....then go from there.

I hate it when I email people and feel like its sour grapes...talking usually always helps the matter
Old 08-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I would stop emailing her and call her.

Hi sue,

I got your email and just wanted to make sure that I have a good understanding of it.....then go from there.

I hate it when I email people and feel like its sour grapes...talking usually always helps the matter
This. I would call her. You will get a better feel for her when you talk to her.

Mi always thought i sounded pleasant in emails/texts but my crazy younger sister says I always come accross short and b*tchy. So totally NOT me at all!
Old 08-05-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberateliterate View Post
I met a g-ma at the park with her kids (2.5DCB and 2SA DCG around my daughter's age), and she mentioned that her daughter was having trouble finding care with her weird schedule. I said I had availability, but that I required at least 3 days a week for a rotating schedule. I gave her my email address, and just got an email from the mom including:

" I am looking for someone but on a schedule that works for my family."

"I take off all pd/holidays with the kids."

week 1 - M-Thur (some Fridays during this week 1 schedule)
week 2 - thur, fri
week 3 - mon-wed
week 4 - tues-fri
week 5 - mon

SA:

week 1 - mon-thurs
week 2 - thur, fri
week 3 - mon-wed
they would not need after care week 4 or 5.

I have no problem telling her that she is welcome to whatever days she wants, as long as she guarantees 3 days a week, and she can take it or leave it. But the tone of the email just rubbed me the wrong way a bit and left me with a bad taste in my mouth a bit.
I had a similar situation recently. A really great co-worker of mine mentioned that her DD-in-law was having trouble finding care for her child and asked if she could refer her to me. I agreed.

When the DD-in-law called me the VERY first thing she said was "I'm having trouble finding care arrangements that work with my schedule."

When asked what her schedule was, she replied "Oh, I work M-F but I don't want to pay for days my sister wants to take child or for any days I have off. Oh and I am also working in the school district so I need someone that will not charge me for my Christmas and summer vacations either because my child doesn't need care those times."
Suddenly, I KNEW exactly why this mom was having such difficulty finding care.

I would take Daycare's advice and call the mom up and talk to her. If you still get the feeling she is trying to dictate your policies, then you'll know. If she is pleasant and not at all like it "came across" initially then go for it.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Home Daycare Provider

If you are willing to do varying days and get paid only for what they use (with a min of 3 days) then explain that you'd contract for 3 days at that rate, then any extra days at $ per day. I'd also explain that all your paid holidays would apply as she has access to all 5 days of the week. So if she needed W-F the week of Labor Day, she be charged for 4 days to include your paid day off. But, if she needed just Th-F and the holiday on Monday was paid- you'd have to decide if she's pay her 3 days plus the holiday day or just the 3 days (I'd be nice and just do the regular 3 days, but could go either way. I'd clarify that as well)
I tried varying for a month once, then gave them a choice to go to paying FT or take my term notice- way too confusing for me!
I hope it works out for you
Old 08-05-2014, 12:46 PM

It sounds like she knows what she wants and you dont want to give it so why not just be honest and email back that you cannot accommodate her schedule.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:17 PM

tone in an email is so hard to dicipher. You could call her to clarify but I think what you will find is she won't want to pay for 3 days the weeks she only needs 1-2 days so I would probably just email back and say while you can work with a flexible schedule such as hers that payment for 3 days per week is required regardless of attendance.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:46 PM

Or, you could just offer her a drop-in rate at a higher price than your normal rate. Schedule at least a week in advance with payment, and no refunds. If she doesn't provide a schedule soon enough (you spell out those terms), then you cannot guarantee space.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Home Daycare Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Or, you could just offer her a drop-in rate at a higher price than your normal rate. Schedule at least a week in advance with payment, and no refunds. If she doesn't provide a schedule soon enough (you spell out those terms), then you cannot guarantee space.
Yes, drop in (could) be an option.