Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Days?
Cwillis 06:11 PM 05-26-2015
What do you do when your own child is sick? How do parents respond when you need a sick day for you or your child?
daycare 06:37 PM 05-26-2015
Originally Posted by Cwillis:
What do you do when your own child is sick? How do parents respond when you need a sick day for you or your child?
everyone does it differently. My children are older so they stay in their rooms and i tend to them when I can. When they were younger, my husband would call off work and stay home with him. I also sent him to my MIL in the past when he was sick to avoid having to close.

I let the parents decide if they want to have their child attend or not, but since i will remain open, I still charge for this day if they decide to come or not.
AmyKidsCo 07:50 PM 05-26-2015
Same as Daycare - my kids are now 8, 10, 16 and 20, so when they're sick they stay isolated at home and I go about business as usual. (When they were younger I'd use a baby monitor to hear if they needed me.) When they were too young to be left alone I'd ship them to Grandma or have Grandma come here to take care of them.
childcaremom 04:09 AM 05-27-2015
When my were younger and I considered them part of daycare, I would close. Now they are older and I stay open as they remain in their room away from the daycare group.
Second Home 06:07 AM 05-27-2015
When my kids were younger I would give parents a heads up if they were sick and they decide whether to bring their child , now they are older and I just have them stay in their rooms .

I do not have any family close by so sending my sick child somewhere else is not an option .
I have never had to close because my family was sick so I guess I am lucky.

I think this is a no win situation . If you close because your kids are sick someone will be mad . If you stay open and expose their kids to the illness someone will be mad .

You just need to do what seems right for you .
kendallina 01:07 PM 05-27-2015
When my daughter was really young and in the preschool, I closed. Now that she's a little older (6) I usually stay open and just isolate her unless she's actively throwing up or needing a lot from me. Sometimes my husband is able to stay with her for all or part of the day. It's not easy, though and I'd so much prefer to close when she's sick.

And when I'm sick, I close. I was actually closed today for a stomach bug. I do not get paid for days that I close.
originalkat 01:43 PM 05-27-2015
I never closed... even when my kids were young (They are 8 and 10 now). I always stayed open and let parents know. They ALWAYS brought them anyway. I kept them in a separate area from the DCK's. It always worked out okay.

I have probably only closed once or twice in 8 years for my own illness (throwing up or fever). Head colds and all that miserable stuff I just muscle through as I'm sure most do.
Tags:sick days, sick policy, sick policy - provider children
Reply Up