Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing After 18 Years..& Divorcing..& Sick
Unregistered 04:14 PM 02-09-2016
After 18 years, I am closing down my daycare this coming April. I am also in the process of divorce while occupying the same house as my husband. Luckily, it's a big house and things are as amicable as can be hoped for under the circumstances. I've also been diagnosed with an illness that claims most of its victims within five years of the diagnosis. Alot of big stress stuff, needless to say.

None of my clients know about my divorce or illness. A couple of them persist with flaky behavior that makes me SO GLAD every morning that I am finally almost done with this job.

Money is tight and after my divorce will only be tighter, so I've been trying to forecast how much daycare income I'll have to sock away between now and April. Of course we all know that, in this profession, you can never count on a consistent income.

I'm thinking of giving 30 days' notice. Do you think that would be sufficient? It's so nerve-wracking, because of course I need every last penny that I am scheduled to earn between now and April..I can't afford for any clients to bail on me before then. I'm hoping that I will pull off a daycare miracle and be one of the few retiring providers who hang on to all of their clients until the very last day.
MarinaVanessa 04:24 PM 02-09-2016
30 days is more than sufficient considering that the 'norm' is usually 2 weeks. I'm sorry for what you're going through. Out of curiosity ... does your DH know about your diagnosis? I can't fathom what it must feel like to have a condition like that during a divorce. Good luck to you.
Unregistered 04:54 PM 02-09-2016
And in fact, once he googled the illness and saw the typical prognosis, he immediately told me he wanted to take out a LIFE INSURANCE policy on me..with him as the beneficiary, before the divorce is final.

Needless to say, I was beyond hurt. At the end of the day, however, my children will benefit from the policy too - so I consented.
Snowmom 06:03 PM 02-09-2016
I am so sorry you're going through this stress.

If it were me, I would give no more than a 3 week notice. To me, 3 weeks is long enough to find a replacement caregiver and short enough to not lose the income.

I wish you well & hope things get easier for you!
Blackcat31 06:23 PM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
After 18 years, I am closing down my daycare this coming April. I am also in the process of divorce while occupying the same house as my husband. Luckily, it's a big house and things are as amicable as can be hoped for under the circumstances. I've also been diagnosed with an illness that claims most of its victims within five years of the diagnosis. Alot of big stress stuff, needless to say.

None of my clients know about my divorce or illness. A couple of them persist with flaky behavior that makes me SO GLAD every morning that I am finally almost done with this job.

Money is tight and after my divorce will only be tighter, so I've been trying to forecast how much daycare income I'll have to sock away between now and April. Of course we all know that, in this profession, you can never count on a consistent income.

I'm thinking of giving 30 days' notice. Do you think that would be sufficient? It's so nerve-wracking, because of course I need every last penny that I am scheduled to earn between now and April..I can't afford for any clients to bail on me before then. I'm hoping that I will pull off a daycare miracle and be one of the few retiring providers who hang on to all of their clients until the very last day.
First:

Secondly, I would personally give the same notice you require your clients to give you. If you only require 2 weeks then I'd give only 2 weeks.

If there is ever a right time to put yourself first and do whatever you need to do for you and your family, that time is now.

Sending good thoughts and prayers.
Cat Herder 05:14 AM 02-10-2016
I am so sorry to hear this. I admire your strength of character. Unbelievable.

I agree with the two weeks, unless otherwise stated in your contract. I doubt your clients would even consider the contract in this situation, however.
Leigh 08:26 AM 02-10-2016
I'd give 2 weeks. If you have a 2 week deposit from your clients, they can use it to cover their last 2 weeks. You need the money, and as much as you want to be nice here, unless you can afford to lose your clients before April, you shouldn't give more than 2 weeks. Plenty of providers shut their doors and don't even notify their clients until they show up and find a locked door with a sign on it (I DON'T endorse that, but it happens a lot).
Unregistered 09:07 AM 02-10-2016
And in fact, once he googled the illness and saw the typical prognosis, he immediately told me he wanted to take out a LIFE INSURANCE policy on me..with him as the beneficiary, before the divorce is final.

Needless to say, I was beyond hurt. At the end of the day, however, my children will benefit from the policy too - so I consented.
Can't you make it so only your children benefit? Even if they have to wait until they are 18??
daycarediva 09:12 AM 02-10-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
First:

Secondly, I would personally give the same notice you require your clients to give you. If you only require 2 weeks then I'd give only 2 weeks.

If there is ever a right time to put yourself first and do whatever you need to do for you and your family, that time is now.

Sending good thoughts and prayers.
I would give two weeks- no more.

Can't you make it so only your children benefit? Even if they have to wait until they are 18??
^ I would cancel a policy in his name immediately and get one in the name of your children, even if they are younger- set up a different beneficiary- godparent or another relative. I am so sorry.
Ariana 09:50 AM 02-10-2016
I am so so sorry for all that you are going through My thoughts, prayers and love are coming your way.
rosieteddy 12:16 PM 02-10-2016
So sorry .I would only give the least amount of time.Two weeks is plenty ,if that is what they would give you.I only gave two weeks last year when I closed and I was on vacation when the medical emergency took place.All parents found care and nobody lost their jobs.I had sick days coming to me only two offered. Do what is best for you. As far as the policy I would not leave a large sum of money to someone who is divorcing me when I need him the most.
AmyLeigh 04:02 PM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would give two weeks- no more.

^ I would cancel a policy in his name immediately and get one in the name of your children, even if they are younger- set up a different beneficiary- godparent or another relative. I am so sorry.
Don't cancel an existing life insurance policy!!! You can call the company and ask to change beneficiaries of a current policy. It's usually just a simple form to fill out and fax.

Remember, certain illnesses will preclude you from getting coverage or if you can get any coverage, it will be very expensive.

So sorry you are dealing with all of this!!!
Josiegirl 03:11 AM 02-12-2016
Wow, you have so much going on. I wish you courage and strength.
Two weeks is plenty. Put yourself first through all of this. And your soon-to-be ex sounds like a winner.
Tags:closing daycare, closing due to divorce
Reply Up