Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Letter to Family Expecting Another Baby
Controlled Chaos 03:04 PM 02-23-2016
A family told me they are expecting a new baby and would need care in January - "will you have a spot?" I answered I would have an infant spot, I am not sure if I clarified that doesn't mean I will have a spot in general. What do you think of this letter to clarify? Help me clean it up please.

Congratulation again on your little one on the way!
I had a chance to look over the birthdays of children in my care and expected departure dates (like children going off to kindergarten.
I will have an infant (0-23 months old) spot open up in November when a child in my care turns two. However, I will still have 8 children in my care at that time. So, I am not sure when I will have an opening after the birth of your little one. It may work out that someone else leaves and opens up the spot, and it might not. I just don’t know this far in advance.
Here are some options and possibilities
1. Another child leaves in December and little one starts in January. (Fingers crossed)
2. I am still full in January and you find alternate care for the new baby until a spot opens up.
3. A spot opens up way before you need it, like August, leaving 2 choices
a. Paying to hold the spot until you need it (regular tuition price)
b. Passing on the spot and hoping another one opens up closer to the time you need it.

I am so excited that ______is going to have a little brother or sister and that I will at least have an infant spot open.
I hope this extra information helps you plan for your new addition. And I really hope it works out that I get to care for both your little ones.

All My Best,
CP
caligirl 03:12 PM 02-23-2016
Well, is there a way you could create a spot? An older child who you could possibly move on? A baby is a long term, I'd hate to lose the baby to another provider if I had a child who was close to leaving (within a few months)
lblanke 03:27 PM 02-23-2016
The letter might be confusing to parents. I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say.
lblanke 03:38 PM 02-23-2016
Are you trying to say you are currently full but if a space opens, it can be used starting in November due to age ratio requirements? And should a spot open between now and next January, they need to pay for the spot to guarantee enrollment when it is needed?
Snowmom 03:57 PM 02-23-2016
I think I understand:
8 is the maximum number of children you can care for. Therefore, although your currently enrolled ages may be in-line to accept an infant (because you may only be able to care for 1 infant at a time), there technically isn't an opening unless circumstances/enrollment changes.

I would work to clarify that a little better since parents do not understand ratios (they have no need to and honestly they are confusing!).

Dear Parents:
I've reviewed my enrollment after you shared your exciting news with me. The good news is that after one of currently enrolled children turns 1 (insert date), I will be able to take an infant.
Unfortunately, my enrollment is currently full. In order for me to take on Baby Smith, I would need one of my currently enrolled families to leave.
The soonest expected leave: XX/XX/XXXX

If something comes up sooner, which can always happen, then here are our options:
1. You can start regular tuition rates the same day a currently enrolled child leaves. This secures your spot.
OR
2. We can keep in touch about future openings and current enrollment changes.

I'm excited you shared the news with me and hope we can work together to secure both your children's spots in ABC care.
Controlled Chaos 04:00 PM 02-23-2016
Yea..its a garbled letter

I won't have anyone ready to age out until a year from that next August. There is one dcg I could term to make room, she will by 4, but I like her and the mom.

I want to say I can't guarantee a spot and explain they will have to pay to hold a spot if it opens up earlier.
Controlled Chaos 04:01 PM 02-23-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I think I understand:
8 is the maximum number of children you can care for. Therefore, although your currently enrolled ages may be in-line to accept an infant (because you may only be able to care for 1 infant at a time), there technically isn't an opening unless circumstances/enrollment changes.

I would work to clarify that a little better since parents do not understand ratios (they have no need to and honestly they are confusing!).

Dear Parents:
I've reviewed my enrollment after you shared your exciting news with me. The good news is that after one of currently enrolled children turns 1 (insert date), I will be able to take an infant.
Unfortunately, my enrollment is currently full. In order for me to take on Baby Smith, I would need one of my currently enrolled families to leave.
The soonest expected leave: XX/XX/XXXX

If something comes up sooner, which can always happen, then here are our options:
1. You can start regular tuition rates the same day a currently enrolled child leaves. This secures your spot.
OR
2. We can keep in touch about future openings and current enrollment changes.

I'm excited you shared the news with me and hope we can work together to secure both your children's spots in ABC care.
That's much more clear!
Josiegirl 02:46 AM 02-24-2016
I'm so glad you asked this question. I will be in a similar situation if 1 of my current dcgs doesn't move on to prek at the end of the summer. It is incredibly hard when you love all your dcfs!! And 1 of my other current dcms is due in the early fall. Baby booms are great if they all happen to coincide.
I may have to steal the letter ideas.
Controlled Chaos 08:37 AM 02-25-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm so glad you asked this question. I will be in a similar situation if 1 of my current dcgs doesn't move on to prek at the end of the summer. It is incredibly hard when you love all your dcfs!! And 1 of my other current dcms is due in the early fall. Baby booms are great if they all happen to coincide.
I may have to steal the letter ideas.
I sent it 2 days ago and got a wonderful email in return. The mom was bummed, but said they would look for a semi-permanent childcare option for the new baby and hope she can join big brother with me by the time she turns one. Then she gave me a long beautiful compliment about the quality of care here...I cried a little.

Thanks everyone for help with the wording!
Reply Up