Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lunch-To-Nap Transitions
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:24 PM 09-19-2017
In looking at my day, my lunch-to-nap transition is my most stressful. We've always went straight to nap after lunch, but getting there is a pile of crazy lately. I have two (my own kids) who eat next to nothing, and so are "done" 2 minutes after sitting. (I don't generally "fight the food fight". If they choose not to eat, then they have to wait until the next scheduled meal/snack.) It's not working to let them go lay down (out of my sight is inviting trouble) keeping them at the table isn't working either, as they get restless, and letting them hang out and play quietly seems to invite the others to not finish their lunch. So I'm wondering:

What time do you do lunch? Nap?
What does your transition look like? Activity in between?
What are you "pro-tips" for making it go smoothly?
hwichlaz 02:51 PM 09-19-2017
Lunch is at 1130
I set up for nap while they are eating lunch...
then they go potty, wash hands
get a story, and lay down for nap at 1230
Unregistered 03:05 PM 09-19-2017
We have outdoor time before lunch. Lunch is 11-11:30am. My partner (sister) reads a book or two then turn on nap music, then potty/diaper change, go on blankets. I read one book and our "nap" book that we read everyday which is the signal that it's time to settle bodies down. If they are done eating early we just have them sit and rest their tummies while we wait for other children to finish. Haven't had a problem yet.
storybookending 03:05 PM 09-19-2017
Lunch at 11. Nap at 12. If they've finished they can go play. When the potty trained ones are finished they go potty. I diaper everyone at 11:45. I'm fortunate to have great eaters. They often eat everything on their plate and ask for seconds or even thirds on a daily basis.
Snowmom 03:38 PM 09-19-2017
I typically enroll ages 2-4.

Lunch is 11:15 to 11:45. We wash up, get our shoes on and play outside until 12:15-12:30.
Come in, take potty breaks, set up our nap mats and put on some soft music.
I used to read a book before nap, but found it didn't do much to settle my crew. Music works better for me.

Nap is 12:45/1:00- 3:00.

I move up our routine by 15 minutes in the winter to allow for outside time with extra clothing (so lunch starts at 11:00).
LK5kids 04:00 PM 09-19-2017
Lunch has always been at noon. About 12:20 I go in and set out sleeping bags, turn off light, pull closed the curtains and start the quiet time music.

There were two years when I had almost all 4-5's and we went back outside in the summer till 1:00/1:15 and during cooler months the kids worked on homemade ore-math games I have. Sorting, sequencing, matching, etc. until about 12:45 or so.
flying_babyb 05:18 PM 09-19-2017
I work at a center but:
Diapers are 11:00. As diapers are done or kids are waiting, its book time.1130 is lunch and as they finish lunch its wash hands, and off to a book on their mat.
When I worked in a center with a nap room, the kids who napped would eat then sit or lay on their cots in the eating area till everyone was done. Yea we had a few fall asleep and need there cot moved to nap room but it worked.
Ariana 05:25 PM 09-19-2017
They sit and wait. Sure they get antsy but they calm down after a few weeks of being told to sit and wait. I also chat with them or sing silly songs. I try to serve the slowest kids first by a few minutes and the fast eaters get served dead last.

I cannot let them leave the table because everyone will want to leave and then its anarchy. My family room is right next to my kitchen and I want to keep it clean. I also find that kids who say they are done are never actually done. I have one kid that eats 1/4 of his food, says he is done and because .i make him wait he ends up eating 3/4 of it by the time we get up from the table. Some kids just can't sit still!

Then everyone gets 15-20min of tv while I clean up the dishes a bit and set up beds. It also helps to calm them because I put on calming shows like the Hungry Caterpillar or Kipper.
Lil_Diddle 10:13 PM 09-25-2017
My kids come in from outside, wash hands and eat lunch at 11am. I try to encourage them to stay at table till 11:20. Then they look at books or play one of the quiet activities I have on the rug. When they are all done I have my helpers of the day help clean up the lunch mess. Usually always done by 11:30. From 11:30-12 we do different activities daily. Sometimes board games, puzzles, journals and writing practice, music and movement or if it's nice outside we'll go back out. Something to exhaust that last little bit of energy after a meal. Then at 12 I allow them to watch a show while I change diapers, send potty, get beds out etc...by 12:30 when they lay down they are exhausted and asleep within 10 minutes. I think the number one factor is just consistent routine in the day and keeping them engaged throughout the morning
Josiegirl 01:58 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Lunch at 11. Nap at 12. If they've finished they can go play. When the potty trained ones are finished they go potty. I diaper everyone at 11:45. I'm fortunate to have great eaters. They often eat everything on their plate and ask for seconds or even thirds on a daily basis.
This is generally what I do too. I also do dishes as they eat, because I need the break when they take a break. I don't make everybody sit until everybody is done; if 1 has hurried through and starts to get up I'll ask them to stay seated so I can read them a book and usually they'll keep picking at their lunch. I also try to get the cots out while they're having lunch. It all depends on how much time I have and how they're behaving. Usually they're pretty good.
Once everyone has eaten and gone potty or been changed, I'll try to read a story or 2, depending on what time it is. This group I have right now, thankfully(!!!) is pretty fantastic about nap time. It can be a bit of a challenge on certain days because I have a prek dcb who comes in at noon but he's good about the routine now. And a dcm who comes in around 12:15ish to BF her baby.
Yes, this is usually the craziest part of our day too and I have found a good mix of flexibility and firmness means everything.
Luna 02:03 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
They sit and wait. Sure they get antsy but they calm down after a few weeks of being told to sit and wait. I also chat with them or sing silly songs. I try to serve the slowest kids first by a few minutes and the fast eaters get served dead last.

I cannot let them leave the table because everyone will want to leave and then its anarchy. My family room is right next to my kitchen and I want to keep it clean. I also find that kids who say they are done are never actually done. I have one kid that eats 1/4 of his food, says he is done and because .i make him wait he ends up eating 3/4 of it by the time we get up from the table. Some kids just can't sit still!

Then everyone gets 15-20min of tv while I clean up the dishes a bit and set up beds. It also helps to calm them because I put on calming shows like the Hungry Caterpillar or Kipper.
This is pretty much exactly what I do too. Along with chatting or singing during lunch, I read to them. We read Ramona the Pest over the summer, so each day the kids looked forward to hearing the next part of the story. Now we're reading another Ramona book.
Jamie 04:01 AM 09-26-2017
I have only toddlers (1 and 2yo).
Lunch is around 11.15. They sit until everyone is finished eating. They learn quickly that fussing will get them nothing
Then clean up time. If they want to help, they can. If they don't, they get to play while I clean up. But there are no activities and I don't engage them otherwise or stop my cleanup until I am done. If someone fusses, he will survive the five minutes until cleanup is done.
We check diapers, get their pacis and go to the nap room, where we all sit on the couch and read the same book every day.
I tuck in, lights off, sing the same lullaby every day and leave the room.
Ariana 08:06 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by Luna:
This is pretty much exactly what I do too. Along with chatting or singing during lunch, I read to them. We read Ramona the Pest over the summer, so each day the kids looked forward to hearing the next part of the story. Now we're reading another Ramona book.
Such a great idea! I will start doing this
storybookending 08:14 AM 09-26-2017
Does any one else NOT sing during lunch? I just find this baffling and feel like it would just encourage silliness at the table. The reading I can maybe understand although I do not do it myself.

I eat with the kids sometimes although now all of my chairs are officially taken or just stand by them. They can chat during lunch and I think that's important but no way to the singing. I also use the time they are eating to do some of the dishes and get a jump start on my cleaning.
Blackcat31 08:22 AM 09-26-2017
Does any one else NOT sing during lunch? I just find this baffling and feel like it would just encourage silliness at the table. The reading I can maybe understand although I do not do it myself.

I eat with the kids sometimes although now all of my chairs are officially taken or just stand by them. They can chat during lunch and I think that's important but no way to the singing. I also use the time they are eating to do some of the dishes and get a jump start on my cleaning.
We don't sing during lunch.

The kiddos are perfectly welcome to chit chat but we practice good table manners (feet flat on floor, napkin in your lap, elbows off the table and proper please/thank you usage).

I would be uncomfortable with the kids wiggling and moving around so much at lunch...too much of a choking hazard for my comfort.
Ariana 08:39 AM 09-26-2017

I don't sing or read DURING lunch. I think we all mean that we do it while they sit and wait. For example I play the pizza song game while waiting for stuff to cook but once food is served, we eat . Sorry I don't think that was super clear!
storybookending 08:41 AM 09-26-2017
I don't sing or read DURING lunch. I think we all mean that we do it while they sit and wait. For example I play the pizza song game while waiting for stuff to cook but once food is served, we eat . Sorry I don't think that was super clear!
Oh that makes much more sense. We don't sit and wait. They don't get in their chairs here until lunch is on the table.
Ariana 08:43 AM 09-26-2017
Oh that makes much more sense. We don't sit and wait. They don't get in their chairs here until lunch is on the table.
Yes that would be much better! My daycare is on a seperate floor so no way to prepare while the kids play.
storybookending 08:52 AM 09-26-2017
I do most of my lunch prep between 8-9am before my last two arrivals at 9AM. Sandwiches get made and bagged for freshness, fruit gets washed, eggs get cooked etc. depending on what we are having. Some things get prepped the day/night before. We play downstairs from 9:30ish-lunch which is at 11. My state requires sight or sound supervision and my kitchen is at the top of the basement stairs. Believe me I can hear them haha. This way I can just run upstairs and pop things in the oven or microwave and run back down/sit and watch from the steps. The most I have is 6 though.
Ariana 08:55 AM 09-26-2017
I do most of my lunch prep between 8-9am before my last two arrivals at 9AM. Sandwiches get made and bagged for freshness, fruit gets washed, eggs get cooked etc. depending on what we are having. Some things get prepped the day/night before. We play downstairs from 9:30ish-lunch which is at 11. My state requires sight or sound supervision and my kitchen is at the top of the basement stairs. Believe me I can hear them haha. This way I can just run upstairs and pop things in the oven or microwave and run back down/sit and watch from the steps. The most I have is 6 though.
Sounds very similar to me! Some days I can do this but some days I can't. I have one toddler that cannot be trusted for a hot second
storybookending 09:22 AM 09-26-2017
Sounds very similar to me! Some days I can do this but some days I can't. I have one toddler that cannot be trusted for a hot second
I have that toddler as well, she is also my niece. I feel ya girl.
LysesKids 10:10 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We have outdoor time before lunch. Lunch is 11-11:30am. My partner (sister) reads a book or two then turn on nap music, then potty/diaper change, go on blankets. I read one book and our "nap" book that we read everyday which is the signal that it's time to settle bodies down. If they are done eating early we just have them sit and rest their tummies while we wait for other children to finish. Haven't had a problem yet.
I do infants/toddlers under 24 months... this is pretty much my routine; I will feed bottles while the older 2 sit at the table eating, then wash up, diaper changes & we read a book with soft music in the back ground. I'm transitioning one from PNP to mattress at the moment so I usually have to rub his back for a minute or two before he nods off
daycarediva 10:20 AM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Lunch is at 1130
I set up for nap while they are eating lunch...
then they go potty, wash hands
get a story, and lay down for nap at 1230
lunch 11:30
I set up for nap and finish dishes while they eat. EVERYONE stays at the table. It takes new kids a few reminders "You may sit and eat, or sit and watch your friends eat, but you cannot leave the table."
I excuse them one by one, they potty/diapers, wash up
read a story
music goes on as soon as I finish the story (I pretend I can't hear them when the music starts playing. Even mime it while saying SHHHH and pointing to the music)
tuck in

Some kids don't make it past the music going on and the rest of the kids being tucked in.
Tags:nap issues, transition - lunch to nap, transitions
Reply Up