Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Found Cameras That I Like...
hwichlaz 01:55 PM 07-17-2018
...and can afford.

What do you think? should I inform parents or just put up the little CCTV signs?

Here's the potential letter...

July 17, 2018
Dear Child Care Families,

I’ve ordered a security camera. I’ll be adding one at a time until I feel like everything is covered. These cameras do NOT publish video to the cloud. They each have an SD card for onboard storage. I can access a live feed from my phone while I’m using the restroom, or playing outside on the patio with older children while an infant sleeps inside etc. They will alert me to movement and sound in the rooms they are installed in, like a baby monitor.

This footage is for the use of myself, community care licensing, and law enforcement only.
nannyde 05:30 PM 07-17-2018
I wouldn't say a word. Put them up and do with them as you wish.

Does your state require you post notification of video surveillance?
Cat Herder 06:25 PM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I wouldn't say a word. Put them up and do with them as you wish.
Same.

Mine are for my protection against false accusations.
Snowmom 06:22 AM 07-18-2018
Unless it's required by licensing or state, I wouldn't say anything.

It's your home and it's reasonable to expect people to have security cameras these days.
hwichlaz 08:25 AM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Unless it's required by licensing or state, I wouldn't say anything.

It's your home and it's reasonable to expect people to have security cameras these days.
It’s advised that we notify if we’re recording in a home, because people have a little bit of expectation of privacy. If I’m recording sound I need both parties consent. Knowing they are being recorded and choosing to speak counts as consent...and since I can’t be sure I’ll always remember to turn off sound....

But I think I’ll just put up signs and verbally tell parents they need to remind me to turn them off if they want to speak about private medical info.
Blackcat31 09:52 AM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
It’s advised that we notify if we’re recording in a home, because people have a little bit of expectation of privacy. If I’m recording sound I need both parties consent. Knowing they are being recorded and choosing to speak counts as consent...and since I can’t be sure I’ll always remember to turn off sound....

But I think I’ll just put up signs and verbally tell parents they need to remind me to turn them off if they want to speak about private medical info.
Does a verbal acknowledgement (especially if the camera catches it) suffice, or can you just put a “premises under surveillance” sticker on the front door window and assume everyone has seen it before they come in?

“Consent for audio has to be given in writing,” said Ken Kirschenbaum, a counsel for the alarm industry and consultant to the publication Security Sales & Integration. He told us it’s a common misconception that window decals or yard signs (and the expectation that visitors see and recognize them) qualify as consent. https://thewirecutter.com/blog/secur...s-and-the-law/

Whether you HAVE to tell a parent about the recording or not depends on WHAT you intend to do with said recording.

I notified my parents by including in my handbook a statement about my camera system and my intentions for them.

Each parent must sign off on my handbook policies and I would never give the option or turning my camera's off for a parent.
hwichlaz 11:11 AM 07-18-2018
I'd never turn the camera off, but I'd turn the sound monitoring off to discuss a private medical issue. I have IFSP meetings in my home for my special needs kids. That's usually 4 medical providers, plus parents and therapists discussing HIPPA protected issues.

In California, to record someone, you only need proof of notification...them choosing to speak after you notified them, is consent. I don't actually want to record audio though...just live stream it for baby monitoring purposes. I have to figure out what's possible when I get the system set up.
hwichlaz 11:15 AM 07-18-2018
I'll specify the type of surveillance. I have CCTV stickers and signs that specifically say...premises under video and audio surveillance with pictures of a camera and a microphone, in both English and Spanish. They'll be prominently displayed right on the front door and next to the sign-in sheets.
Tags:cctv, letter samples, notification letter - security camera, security cameras
Reply Up