Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensed or Not?
BentleysBands 07:01 AM 10-08-2010
just curious...

I'm proud to say i'm NOT ... dont have to be here in VA as long as you stay at 5 or less...all my parents could care less as its only a paper to them, as lots of licensed ppl are all over the news anyhow..

so i'm just curious since everyone always says 'its against regulations' and the like...

i do however try to stay w/in guidelines of course for safety but IMO its just common sense on how to watch children.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 10-08-2010
Where I live the following are excluded from licensure requirements:

A. day care provided by a relative to only related children; or

B. day care provided to children from a single, unrelated family, for any length of time; or

C. day care provided for a cumulative total of less than 30 days in any 12-month period

If you don't fall under one of those categories, you MUST have a license.
Reply
AfterSchoolMom 07:20 AM 10-08-2010
Nope, nor will I ever. Nothing against those who are, but it isn't for me, for reasons I've explained on this forum before. I only have SA's, and am within the limit for my state.
Reply
gbcc 07:39 AM 10-08-2010
I'm sorry to say I am. It's illegal here to watch more than 2 children without being registered or licensed. If I had a choice I never would have gone through the process but who can make a living off of 2 children!

People around her are nasty and they turn you in for not being registered or licensed and its a $500 fine per day/per kid.
Reply
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:42 AM 10-08-2010
I am proud to say I am,.. Have been forever. Its not for everyone but in order for me to make the money I need to I have to be. I ran with it. Im involved with all state and fedral programs related to childcare that I can be. I am going for national accreditation at this time. Hopefully by Christmas!. Its not for everyone but it is for me.
Reply
MyAngels 08:47 AM 10-08-2010
I am licensed and have been since I started 18 years ago. The standards are not difficult to meet or maintain. Other than one PITA licensing rep who used to love to show up unannounced, I've had good experiences with the whole licensing process. The benefits, at least for me, outweigh the drawbacks.
Reply
Unregistered 08:48 AM 10-08-2010
I was licensed on MD because you have to be even to watch 1 child unrelated to you I had 7 daycare kids and 2 of my own I loved my licenses lady, liked the classes, but HATED the paper work and having such a big daycare was ALOT of work. I now live in NC and you can watch 2 children unrelated to you and thats just what I do I watch 2 kids and have 3 of my own and I love the small setting and hardly any paper work.
Reply
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I am proud to say I am,.. Have been forever. Its not for everyone but in order for me to make the money I need to I have to be. I ran with it. Im involved with all state and fedral programs related to childcare that I can be. I am going for national accreditation at this time. Hopefully by Christmas!. Its not for everyone but it is for me.
Congrats for putting forth the effort to become accredited. I did in 2000 and have had nothing but positive comments from parents. Anything we can do to ensure that we are putting our best professional foot forward is cause for celebration.
I am NOT dissing anyone who is not licensed or people who choose not to be, but in my state we are severely limited if we aren't licensed. I have to admit that before I earned my CDA and became accredited, I didn't care one way or another. After I did, I can't believe how much I learned and benefited from the knowledge.
So congrats to you for going for national accreditation!!
Reply
Unregistered 08:55 AM 10-08-2010
I am not. I live in VA, too, so I chose not to go through it. I have never had a problem getting kids without a license, and since we can keep 5 without a license, I haven't needed to.
Reply
PAMommy1228 08:59 AM 10-08-2010
I am because it's required. I hate that the state can pop in unannounced. They did just the other day during the time when I would be picking up the kids at the bus stop. Just very inconvenient.
Reply
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:01 AM 10-08-2010
thanks!!! I am so excited!!!! My parents are on board, and if they decide its not for them my waiting list is growing by the day. I have learned so much in my cda class, so many things that I wish I had known 20 years ago. lol. I dont think its for everyone,.. but me personally,.. I love the way I "FEEL" inside. you know?

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Congrats for putting forth the effort to become accredited. I did in 2000 and have had nothing but positive comments from parents. Anything we can do to ensure that we are putting our best professional foot forward is cause for celebration.
I am NOT dissing anyone who is not licensed or people who choose not to be, but in my state we are severely limited if we aren't licensed. I have to admit that before I earned my CDA and became accredited, I didn't care one way or another. After I did, I can't believe how much I learned and benefited from the knowledge.
So congrats to you for going for national accreditation!!

Reply
DanceMom 09:05 AM 10-08-2010
I am licensed...but only because it is required. If I didnt have to be, I probably wouldnt be...although Im not sure if I could have sold my service being unlicensed..I interviewed while I was obtaining my license and all of the families I interviewed did not go with me - they werent comfortable that I did have that piece of paper in my hand yet. Once I got the paper - bam bam bam bam bam - all families I interviewed signed on.
Reply
gbcc 09:07 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by PAMommy1228:
I am because it's required. I hate that the state can pop in unannounced. They did just the other day during the time when I would be picking up the kids at the bus stop. Just very inconvenient.
I know, or they come during nap time and ring the doorbell, or get the dogs going, or they want to see the room where the little ones are napping which of course wakes them up. And meal times are a pain too.

I dont think they should come unannounced unless there is a complaint. If they scheduled the time, it would allow us to have help in here to take care of the children and finish what we were doing so I can show the workers around or get paperwork. If we had a friend over distracting our time they would have a fit but we can leave children alone in the room as long as it's because they want to see another part of the house.
Reply
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:21 AM 10-08-2010
Mine isnt that intrusive,... I continue with what Im doing and she goes about her business. If she has a question she asks, if she needs to go to another room, or peak into the nap area, its not closed off she can just poke her head in. Im not a guide Im a care provider and she is usually in and out in under 20 min. If she needs assistance she can wait on my free time. which is usually around 530 pm. lol.
Reply
Unregistered 09:48 AM 10-08-2010
nope and never will. too much of a hassle for me. i just babysit and play with the kids . i dont do taxes either so it works for me
Reply
misol 01:05 PM 10-08-2010
I am licensed. I have about 13 years of informal experience with children but since my own children are very young and none of my references were local, I felt that being licensed would help me in getting clients. My experience with the state has been good so far and they definitely keep me on my toes with those surprise visits. I think that it helps that I have a licensing inspector who is knowledgeable, unobtrusive, and responsive to my needs as a provider.
Reply
WImom 03:13 PM 10-08-2010
I really wish I wasn't since around here it feels like your working for the state instead of running your own business. It's what the parents want though so I have to.
Reply
kidkair 05:49 AM 10-09-2010
Originally Posted by WImom:
I really wish I wasn't since around here it feels like your working for the state instead of running your own business. It's what the parents want though so I have to.
When I wanted to start a daycare, my mom offered me her house in WI. I looked into state regs for WI and MN and decided that WI seemed much more uptight and in your face than MN. I ended up going for MN and I'm so glad I did because I have to work with a WI county for payments of one family and they are much more picky than MN county payments.
Reply
TomCopeland 02:40 PM 10-09-2010
Although you are operating legally in your state, if you are not meeting your state regulations there are some drawbacks:
You won't be able to get business liability insurance to protect yourself against a lawsuit.
In most states you won't be able to enroll in the Food Program.
Your homeowners insurance and car insurance may not cover you anymore (check this out with your insurance agent).

Note: operating legally (but outside of licensing rules) does allow you to claim the same business deductions as if you were licensed.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 10-11-2010
Originally Posted by kidkair:
When I wanted to start a daycare, my mom offered me her house in WI. I looked into state regs for WI and MN and decided that WI seemed much more uptight and in your face than MN. I ended up going for MN and I'm so glad I did because I have to work with a WI county for payments of one family and they are much more picky than MN county payments.
I am licensed in Minnesota and I wish our state followed some of the practices that Wisconsin follows. Currently Wisconsin has a rating system for parents that rates them on quality, experience and education. I think it is called QCQK (Quality Care for Quality Kids) this makes it easier for parents to differentiate between child cares and find one that meets their needs. Some are looking for "family" like atmospheres and others are looking for a pre-school type experience. Some want structure and others do not. There are many catagories that child care providers fall under and this rating system has put into place to help parents decide. Currently ChildCare Works in Minnesota is working to put the same type of quality rating system in place for FCC and Early Childhood programs. This program is called QRIS (Quality Rating and Improvement System) It will be strictly voluntary but I hope it will benefit families and providers in Minnesota in choosing quality child care.

Also, thank you to Tom Copeland for pointing out some of the benefits in being licensed.

I am proud to say I am licensed, I have worked very hard to maintain a level of quality care AND education to children who attend my program. I do NOT agree that watching/caring for children is common sense. When I frist started daycare, I was great at supervising and playing with the children in my care, however after becoming accredited and earning my CDA credential as well as being in school now to earn my Bachelors in Early Childhood, I now see how much I did not know about the growth and development of children. Knowing developmentally appropriate practice is beneficial to all the children and their families that I care for.
Reply
Crystal 07:42 AM 10-11-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am licensed in Minnesota and I wish our state followed some of the practices that Wisconsin follows. Currently Wisconsin has a rating system for parents that rates them on quality, experience and education. I think it is called QCQK (Quality Care for Quality Kids) this makes it easier for parents to differentiate between child cares and find one that meets their needs. Some are looking for "family" like atmospheres and others are looking for a pre-school type experience. Some want structure and others do not. There are many catagories that child care providers fall under and this rating system has put into place to help parents decide. Currently ChildCare Works in Minnesota is working to put the same type of quality rating system in place for FCC and Early Childhood programs. This program is called QRIS (Quality Rating and Improvement System) It will be strictly voluntary but I hope it will benefit families and providers in Minnesota in choosing quality child care.

Also, thank you to Tom Copeland for pointing out some of the benefits in being licensed.

I am proud to say I am licensed, I have worked very hard to maintain a level of quality care AND education to children who attend my program. I do NOT agree that watching/caring for children is common sense. When I frist started daycare, I was great at supervising and playing with the children in my care, however after becoming accredited and earning my CDA credential as well as being in school now to earn my Bachelors in Early Childhood, I now see how much I did not know about the growth and development of children. Knowing developmentally appropriate practice is beneficial to all the children and their families that I care for.
ITA with you. I WISH all providers felt that furthering their education in the field of ECE was as valuable as you do. Sadly, many do not.
Reply
legomom922 05:33 AM 10-12-2010
I am not and can have 2 legally.

My home owners insurance does allow me to add a daycare rider on to my plan which covers me up to $300,000 for only $80 yr.

Can not get on the food program, but thats ok with me because I have all parents provide the food anyway. LOL

Tom, Cant unregistred providers claim all of the same deductions?? If not, which ones are excluded in NY? Does it matter what state you are in?
Reply
BentleysBands 06:02 AM 10-12-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
ITA with you. I WISH all providers felt that furthering their education in the field of ECE was as valuable as you do. Sadly, many do not.
I"m very passionate about what i do, i just dont feel the need to go to school. Just because someone does NOT further their education in CC does not mean they are lease valuable or think less of their hardwork. its not required here in VA until you hit 6 kids. i have 5 and am happy. as well as my parents.IMO if you have more than that, its obvious its TOO much.

licensed providers are no better than us UNlicensed ones. whether its required or not, we are in this because we love it.

i just wish both sides would just come together as one unit and do whats best for the children instead of in some instances bash one another (not here, but in general)...ex: im better because i did this or that....

just another side to consider
Reply
Crystal 07:45 AM 10-12-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
I"m very passionate about what i do, i just dont feel the need to go to school. Just because someone does NOT further their education in CC does not mean they are lease valuable or think less of their hardwork. its not required here in VA until you hit 6 kids. i have 5 and am happy. as well as my parents.IMO if you have more than that, its obvious its TOO much.

licensed providers are no better than us UNlicensed ones. whether its required or not, we are in this because we love it.

i just wish both sides would just come together as one unit and do whats best for the children instead of in some instances bash one another (not here, but in general)...ex: im better because i did this or that....

just another side to consider
And, not feeling the need to go to school is fine, for you. For me, it has meant that I better understand child development and developmentally appropriate practice. Before I went to school, absolutley I worked just as hard and was just as passionate about my work with children as I am now. Actually, I think I worked harder, because I wasn't aware of some techniques and ways of working with children that actually has made my work much easier. But, that is ME.... I do think providers should be required, across the board, to have SOME type of training, besides CPR and health/safety, before they are allowed to work with children. But, again, that is ME, and MY opinion.

As far as being licensed.....If it's not required in your state, then I think it's fine. I PROBABLY wouldn't be licensed if it wasn't required, but I would still have gone to school, and, as I am now, continue formal education and training. For me, that's a preference, and what my parents want and value.....also, that is my area....there has been a huge outreach to parents to understand what quality care is and for them to seek providers who have formal education in the field of ECE So, they are looking for it. It keeps me competetive.

Now, before someone says it, I am NOT bashing those who do not feel it is important to further their education......to each his own.....I just know what it has done for me and my program and wouldn't change it for the world.

BTW, I am licensed for 14. My hubby works with me and we have 14 children enrolled.
Reply
TomCopeland 07:52 AM 10-12-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I am not and can have 2 legally.

My home owners insurance does allow me to add a daycare rider on to my plan which covers me up to $300,000 for only $80 yr.

Can not get on the food program, but thats ok with me because I have all parents provide the food anyway. LOL

Tom, Cant unregistred providers claim all of the same deductions?? If not, which ones are excluded in NY? Does it matter what state you are in?
Legally unlicensed providers can deduct all the same deductions as licensed providers. This is the rule for all states. If you are operating illegally (under your state law) then you can't claim expenses associated with your home (property tax, mortgage interest house insurance, house repairs, utilities, and house depreciation).
Reply
BentleysBands 09:10 AM 10-12-2010
i believe that most PARENTS need education rather than us providers
Reply
Crystal 10:50 AM 10-12-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
i believe that most PARENTS need education rather than us providers
lol! certainly, most do.
Reply
Blackcat31 08:22 AM 10-13-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
And, not feeling the need to go to school is fine, for you. For me, it has meant that I better understand child development and developmentally appropriate practice. Before I went to school, absolutley I worked just as hard and was just as passionate about my work with children as I am now. Actually, I think I worked harder, because I wasn't aware of some techniques and ways of working with children that actually has made my work much easier. But, that is ME.... I do think providers should be required, across the board, to have SOME type of training, besides CPR and health/safety, before they are allowed to work with children. But, again, that is ME, and MY opinion.

As far as being licensed.....If it's not required in your state, then I think it's fine. I PROBABLY wouldn't be licensed if it wasn't required, but I would still have gone to school, and, as I am now, continue formal education and training. For me, that's a preference, and what my parents want and value.....also, that is my area....there has been a huge outreach to parents to understand what quality care is and for them to seek providers who have formal education in the field of ECE So, they are looking for it. It keeps me competetive.

Now, before someone says it, I am NOT bashing those who do not feel it is important to further their education......to each his own.....I just know what it has done for me and my program and wouldn't change it for the world.

BTW, I am licensed for 14. My hubby works with me and we have 14 children enrolled.
Oh my! I think we are running the same childcare and have the same husband! I am glad you are not in my area..we would definitely be competition! LOL! I agree with you about now knowing better ways and techniques to in regards to guidance issues. It amazes me at how much I didn't know. My love and passion for my profession has not changed since becoming better educated, but I have definitely gained invaluable knowledge in the field of ECE. I too, am NOT saying in anyway that licensed or unlicensed is the way to go, I am only saying what has been my experience and what works for me....and obviously works for Crystal too..
Reply
Crystal 01:18 PM 10-13-2010
lol! Although, I prefer to COLLABORATE with other providers in my area who are like you, rather than for it to be COMPETITION! I have many provider friends who are very close to my home, and we send each other calls ad possible clients all the time! We work WITH each other, instead of AGAINST each other.

It's great! RARE, in this field, but great!
Reply
Blackcat31 01:46 PM 10-13-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
lol! Although, I prefer to COLLABORATE with other providers in my area who are like you, rather than for it to be COMETITION! I have many provider friends who are very close to my home, and we send each other calls ad possible clients all the time! We work WITH each other, instead of AGAINST each other.

It's great! RARE, in this field, but great!
I'm seriously thinking you are my twin because I have a couple of provider's in my area who share the same thoughts as well...there are enough kids out there for everyone and when one of us needs some referrals or support or even to fill in as backup when needed, we are right there working together so virtual high five for being on the same train! We should never be competition...we should be supporting each other because then everyone benefits! Have a great day!!
Reply
Brookers 03:13 PM 10-13-2010
Im not Licensed, but I am Certified. Meaning I can except parents who are aided by the state to pay for Childcare Through Idaho Stars. I have been through all my inspections and background checks for both my husband and I (he had to have one cause he lives in the home). I have listed my business with the state and file taxes and everything. I watch no more than 6 at a time including my own children. My DCPs are all great with it and love that fact that its a home daycare and not a facility. I would get licensed but it would be the same regulations and Ratios but cost me an arm and a leg to get it taken care done, so whats the point? I think that is the quality of people you leave your children with, not a peice of paper saying that the state approves them. Cause a lot people are frauds and will do anything for money.
Reply
Tags:licensed, registered, unlicensed
Reply Up