Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Love the Money...Hate Working on Sundays...
Breezy 02:09 PM 03-11-2012
DCG came at 7AM this morning. Was picked up at 9:45 by dad and then brought back at what was SUPPOSED to be 1:00 and actually ended up being 12:40. No idea this schedule is so weird today but anyways.... she won't be picked up until 9:00 tonight by DCM.

So, fine whatever. I do Sundays a few days a month when this family needs it but the baby has NOT stopped crying since she got here- unless I am holding her of course. So now all the chores and what not I need to get done today so I can be open tomorrow and have a CLEAN home and CLOTHES to wear won't get done. The parents know that because their child comes on my "off" days that they will be part of the family and I will be doing my regular weekend activities through out the day.

But nope. She doesn't want to go to sleep, doesn't want to be on the floor playing, doesn't want to be in the swing, doesn't want to eat. Nothing. It's after 2:00 and I have not gotten anything done today. I am so sick of listening to her cry and I am SO sick of wasting my weekends to listen to it!!! She does this during the week too but it doesn't bother me as much because I am supposed to be working. But really?

Mom said she didn't sleep at all last night so she should sleep plenty today. Mom holds her CONSTANTLY. I can not do that with a 1 year old that is starting to walk and needs my attention.

UGH, I just want to be able to do my chores quick and relax with my family on a Sunday.

Come 9:00 when she leaves I will be going to bed so I can be up tomorrow morning for her to come too and the rest of my DCKs.

momofboys 03:50 PM 03-11-2012
Does this family pay you at a higher rate since it is the weekend? I hope so - it would have t be really high for me to do so. I'm sorry though that the LO wouldn't cooperate & nap. Hope the day improved. I don't think I could be paid enough to work weekends & maybe you need to just say NO. Hugs though, sounds like you've had a rough one!
daycare 04:04 PM 03-11-2012
NO one could afford me with the weekend rate I charge, so I don't have weekend kids. I know you do it for the $, but make sure that it is worth it for you.

I sometimes get upset when I have one kid left here until 6:15 and all the others were picked up at 4. BUT those are the hours I chose and I have to remember that.

Sorry it was such a tuff day. I really hope that you find some time to relax. YOu don't want to get burn out......
Breezy 04:05 PM 03-11-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Does this family pay you at a higher rate since it is the weekend? I hope so - it would have t be really high for me to do so. I'm sorry though that the LO wouldn't cooperate & nap. Hope the day improved. I don't think I could be paid enough to work weekends & maybe you need to just say NO. Hugs though, sounds like you've had a rough one!
They pay me $120/week for the flexibility to come on any day during the week as mom and dads schedule varies week to week. They usually are only here 2-3 days per week though.
frugalmama4 04:21 PM 03-11-2012
Sending you Hugs!!!

So sorry, I hope you are getting paid at a higher rate for weekends.

And I know I'm running the risks of sounding like a mean person hear...but I would sit her in da swing/pnp/high chair...whatever you have...and let her cry it out! I'm sorry but she sounds like she gotta be broken. Mom may hold her...but ur not she will have to learn her boundaries w/you. No different from what dad probably does...I can't image both parents holding her all the time..IMO.

If it makes you feel better...I spent my whole day cleaning the garage while hubby stood around looking at me
cheerfuldom 04:57 PM 03-11-2012
I would and have let a one year old cry. If she has not taken a nap and is over exhausted, I would just let her cry it out in her napping area for as long as it takes. Check on her at intervals, check her diaper and tuck her back in until she takes a nap. Sounds like she cries no matter what you do so you might as well just let her wear herself out and you can get chores done.
countrymom 05:16 AM 03-12-2012
yes, money is good but you are so heading for a burn out. Don't give up your weekends. What do both parents do that they need you on the weekend, I find it odd that both would be working on the same day. You need to seperate your daycare time from time to yourself. You may be doing this family a favor but try taking a day off on one of their schedualed day, I can see their true colors then coming thru.
Breezy 05:26 AM 03-12-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
yes, money is good but you are so heading for a burn out. Don't give up your weekends. What do both parents do that they need you on the weekend, I find it odd that both would be working on the same day. You need to seperate your daycare time from time to yourself. You may be doing this family a favor but try taking a day off on one of their schedualed day, I can see their true colors then coming thru.
They both work retail. Mom works 3 days on and 3 days off. Dad works like over 50 hours a week.
countrymom 05:50 AM 03-12-2012
i'm sorry but does retail mean, like a store. then maybe mom can ask for an earlier shift. I know alot of stores that close early on sundays and are they both picking the girl up. I'm just trying to figure out why they need so much care kwim esp. for a sunday.
Breezy 05:53 AM 03-12-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
i'm sorry but does retail mean, like a store. then maybe mom can ask for an earlier shift. I know alot of stores that close early on sundays and are they both picking the girl up. I'm just trying to figure out why they need so much care kwim esp. for a sunday.
She works 8-8 at the Walmart an hour away and dad worked a double yesterday because someone was in vacation he needed to cover. She will be here 7-7 today again.
nannyde 06:30 AM 03-12-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
She works 8-8 at the Walmart an hour away and dad worked a double yesterday because someone was in vacation he needed to cover. She will be here 7-7 today again.
What's the number of hours they end up with for the 120? If they are doing twelve hour shifts and/or two arrivals and departures PLUS weekend time, you may be really undercharging them.
Breezy 06:38 AM 03-12-2012
The hours are usually 7:20-2:30 two or three days per week. It is only 1 or 2 times that they need me for 11-12 hours during the month. The way that I see it is, they sometimes only use me a day per week sometimes a few hours per week so when they have those long shifts it kind of balances out their rate a bit.

I have been considering terming them because of the fact that 1) I like to know my schedule every week 2) having a part time infant is so hard because it takes forever to "train" her back into things here as she has to get used to not being held every moment of the day.

I interviewed a mom with a 3 month old for full time Monday-friday only that would be perfect and really give me a better routine iykwim? But then I lose my teachers kid to drop in when school is out so that means I would either need to fill another full time spot to take both places or survive on less income ...

Not really sure what I want to do yet.
MrsB 06:57 AM 03-12-2012
For many reasons, alot of them you already mentioned, I don't do part time infant care. I used to do occasional weekends and tried to justify the money in my mind, but in the end, you just end up getting resentful and burntout and it is almost never worth the $.

I would rather take an infant M-F set hours and be able to have a consistent schedule for $175 a week then have one for $125 per week and never know what my schedule is, eventhough it may only be 1 or 2 days.

I am not saying it can't be done. I am just saying that a few 12-13 hour days are more stressful on me than a M-F 7-430.
Reply Up