Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Just Opened In February And I REALY Miss My Patients.....
LaLa1923 11:02 AM 06-12-2013
I just opened in February and I really miss my patients! I miss being able to come home and just relax. I feel like home has become a stressful place and I'm always working. I miss my days "off" with just my kids and I.

I don't miss working nights, weekends, and holidays away from home.

There are really great days and I love my job with the kids too.

But I think I will have to finish my RN degree and then close up shop. I have always wondered how someone can walk away from a career like that. One you work so darn hard at and then you just give it up?? Being a childcare provider is so unpredictable and not at all guaranteed for tomorrow.

I love all the time I have with my kids now, BUT I think I need better QUALITY time VS QUANTITY.

This post was definitely not meant to be mean in any way or put down any decisions others have made. Any responses are greatly appreciated.
itlw8 11:07 AM 06-12-2013
I would say yes finish the RN you will not always get the nights/ weekend shifts. Though many like the 3 day a week weekend shift As your kids get older it will get harder.
MNMum 11:34 AM 06-12-2013
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I worked parttime as a RN in the NICU for 10 years before I went casual and opened up shop. This job is much more stressful work. It pays about a 1/3 of what I was making, and I too, feel like I am always working. But for me, I think I would probably feel that way if I went back to the hospital right now. In my case, I'll be working weekends until I retire (or am casual, which I am now). The eves and weekends just don't work with my kids the ages they are, and I don't see it working for another decade. I've lightened my load for the summer, and probably fall as well. Also, we are almost finished with the basement, and then I can have my house back. I'm hoping that will make things easier.

For me, the choice was really, be a SAHM, or do daycare. I'm not comfortable bringing in no income at this point. We could swing it financially for a while, but we would really have to change some things, including kids activities, our beloved vacations, etc.

Also, when I do work my nursing job (about 2x/month), I'm reminded how much I hate sitting in traffic, getting my own kids off to daycare, etc. So this is where I am for now, and it is also letting my husband focus on his job more, as I am doing most of the housework, kids homework time.

Not trying to disuade you either way. Just offering up some of my experiences.
LaLa1923 11:54 AM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I would say yes finish the RN you will not always get the nights/ weekend shifts. Though many like the 3 day a week weekend shift As your kids get older it will get harder.
Very True!!
LaLa1923 11:58 AM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I worked parttime as a RN in the NICU for 10 years before I went casual and opened up shop. This job is much more stressful work. It pays about a 1/3 of what I was making, and I too, feel like I am always working. But for me, I think I would probably feel that way if I went back to the hospital right now. In my case, I'll be working weekends until I retire (or am casual, which I am now). The eves and weekends just don't work with my kids the ages they are, and I don't see it working for another decade. I've lightened my load for the summer, and probably fall as well. Also, we are almost finished with the basement, and then I can have my house back. I'm hoping that will make things easier.

For me, the choice was really, be a SAHM, or do daycare. I'm not comfortable bringing in no income at this point. We could swing it financially for a while, but we would really have to change some things, including kids activities, our beloved vacations, etc.

Also, when I do work my nursing job (about 2x/month), I'm reminded how much I hate sitting in traffic, getting my own kids off to daycare, etc. So this is where I am for now, and it is also letting my husband focus on his job more, as I am doing most of the housework, kids homework time.

Not trying to disuade you either way. Just offering up some of my experiences.
I understand what you're saying completely!

Our kids are 3,6,6,7,9 now. I feel like I would get more time off if I get my RN and much better pay for sure!! We really don't need my income, but things come up as they always do. Plus, I need some independence.. Ugh, if only I didn't have a few years of nursing school left! That would be great!!
I'm lucky, ds can work from home and we have great neighbors and family that would help if necessary. I think I gotta just bite the bullet!
Soccermom 12:12 PM 06-12-2013
Wow, you could almost fill a daycare with just your own little ones That is a lot of work just in itself.

I think quantity time is just as important for kids as quality time. Children want nothing more than to be with their parents. Sure they have fun at daycare but they spend the entire day just waiting to be picked up.

Here are some of my words of wisdom for you
Do you have a set schedule for the day that you follow?
I have found that trying to be a SAHM and a DP at the same time is impossible and SOOOOO stressful.
You have to try as best you can to separate the two and really treat your Daycare business as a job outside the home.
I have all the DCKS bring their own little lunches and I pack my own kids' snacks and lunches as well. We have our daycare space downstairs which is where we eat, play and learn. The only time we go upstairs is to put on our shoes to go play outside. That way the upstairs stays clean and daycare free.

When my SA kids come home from school, I have them put their backpacks with all the other SA DCKS and don't touch them until after all the DCKS are gone home. I don't sign papers or look at tests until everyone has gone home.

I treat my own kids like my DCKS during the day and we have lots of fun playing games and doing acitivities. I don't prepare meals or do any housework until after all the DCKS are gone home for the day...just as I would if I had an outside job. I also make sure the daycare space is tidy and ready for the next day about a half hour before pick up time.

I find it helps to separate the two...when I head upstairs at the end of the day I feel glad to be home in a sense and my kids are glad that they got to spend the day with their Mommy

Good luck hun...you are doing your children a world of good by being at home with them, even if it doesn't always feel that way. Trust me
countrymom 12:21 PM 06-12-2013
I gave up my license as an RN when I had my 2nd kid (and then had 2 more after) I couldn't go casual and part time just wasn't working. I hated working every weekend and holiday and not being with my kids. Now fast foward 13 yrs later, and the older my kids get the harder it is. Homework, activities, they want to hang out with friends, gee it was so much easier when they were younger.
MNMum 12:34 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I gave up my license as an RN when I had my 2nd kid (and then had 2 more after) I couldn't go casual and part time just wasn't working. I hated working every weekend and holiday and not being with my kids. Now fast foward 13 yrs later, and the older my kids get the harder it is. Homework, activities, they want to hang out with friends, gee it was so much easier when they were younger.
Somehow, before my first went to school I thought "It will get so much easier when they are in school" - WRONG!
LaLa1923 12:43 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I get exactly what you're saying!!
LaLa1923 12:51 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
Wow, you could almost fill a daycare with just your own little ones That is a lot of work just in itself.

I think quantity time is just as important for kids as quality time. Children want nothing more than to be with their parents. Sure they have fun at daycare but they spend the entire day just waiting to be picked up.

Here are some of my words of wisdom for you
Do you have a set schedule for the day that you follow?
I have found that trying to be a SAHM and a DP at the same time is impossible and SOOOOO stressful.
You have to try as best you can to separate the two and really treat your Daycare business as a job outside the home.
I have all the DCKS bring their own little lunches and I pack my own kids' snacks and lunches as well. We have our daycare space downstairs which is where we eat, play and learn. The only time we go upstairs is to put on our shoes to go play outside. That way the upstairs stays clean and daycare free.

When my SA kids come home from school, I have them put their backpacks with all the other SA DCKS and don't touch them until after all the DCKS are gone home. I don't sign papers or look at tests until everyone has gone home.

I treat my own kids like my DCKS during the day and we have lots of fun playing games and doing acitivities. I don't prepare meals or do any housework until after all the DCKS are gone home for the day...just as I would if I had an outside job. I also make sure the daycare space is tidy and ready for the next day about a half hour before pick up time.

I find it helps to separate the two...when I head upstairs at the end of the day I feel glad to be home in a sense and my kids are glad that they got to spend the day with their Mommy

Good luck hun...you are doing your children a world of good by being at home with them, even if it doesn't always feel that way. Trust me
We have a schedule but it's pretty loose bc all of mine are 3 and under. Right now my DC is all over our house and I know that's where some of my stress is for sure. We will be moving soon and will have a separate space for just my DC. I do try to get some things done for the family during the day. That's mostly bc we still eat dinner most nights by 5 when I only have one baby that has not been picked up. When I close I like to be completely done with everything. I don't want to be working all night, that hardly ever works out. After Dinner the kids get their showers and when I close we do any school work. My goal most nights is to have dinner done, cleaned up, house straight, and laundry started by 6 every night. Yes, there are nights they go back out and play after school. But they are showered and in bed by 7.
After the kids are in bed I do any last minuite tidying, run the dishwasher, sweep the kitchen, and vacuum the carpet. I wake up and do it all over again the next day. Most days I work 12-14 hours and every day repeats itself.......ughhhh
AmyKidsCo 01:25 PM 06-12-2013
If you don't love what you're doing and have the chance to do what you love, go for it! Life is too short to spend working at a job you don't love if you have a choice.
Mom&Provider 01:38 PM 06-12-2013
I would finish what you started and go with your gut! I too was open a short time, just under 4 years, and to me it was becoming too stressful, wasn't much fun anymore, parents were really taking advantage and I was worn out trying to get them to listen and I felt like I really wanted my home back, not open to everyone who came to the door! Not literally, but you know what I mean!

I closed about a month ago and while we are finding it harder when it comes to money, since I took a casual position (still looking for something more f/t), I can say I feel less stress, I am less quick to get upset with my own kids and when they are home I want to be with them more vs hoping my hubby will let me have time to myself and care for them!

I don't know all the ins and outs of nursing, but I'd imagine once you are in somewhere long enough you'll have more say in working holidays and weekends, you just have to get there first! Do what you think is best for you, it'll make you a happier mom and your kids will be happier for it too!
Leanna 02:23 PM 06-12-2013
I guess I am a little bit of the opposite. I found working outside the home 100X more stressful than running the daycare business. Don't get me wrong, this job definitely has stressful aspects, but working for someone else is much harder IMO. With my own business I know that I can make sure everything is done correctly & that all of the regulations are being followed, the children are safe & cared for, & I don't have to worry about or depend on coworkers who may or may not be suited for their jobs. Also, I am home in case my own kids get sick and need to come home from school and I am home when they get home from school. (Granted mine are teenagers now but I think they need more supervision at this age, not less, but that's a whole other can o' worms). One thing that I have a hard time with is getting them to appointments but if you have friends & family close-by that are willing to help then that makes it a lot easier. Maybe make a list of pros and cons of each scenario and see where you land? Good luck!
LK5kids 02:41 PM 06-12-2013
I'm sort of in the same boat...feel like I am putting in way too many hours and I really miss working out in the community and using my degree. I may not be long for this daycare world!

We have spent so much $$$ and worked so hard to get this place licensed. Still waiting to hear from licensing. Seems nuts that I am in this spot. It's hard to quit when you just have started out. I am in constant forward momentum with getting licensed and continuing to upgrade my facility.....and the same time thinking "i can't do this!". It's a push/pull situation and exhausting!

Oh also, I just opened right before the first of the year.

Good luck!
countrymom 05:05 PM 06-12-2013
I always say to dh, "how the heck would we manage if I worked outside the home" he's my 5 kid, he couldn't function and the kids would eat him alive, acually that would be funny.

but I will say that those who think having little kids is hard, try having kids from 8-15 in age (there is 4 of them) every night we have activites except on fridays. And this doesnt include all the crazy actitivites that my odd decided to join in highschool. we live in the country so there is no bus if they need to go to school early or stay late. Homework, omg, where did these questions come from and WHY DON'T I GET A PARENT MANUAL. At one point I had 60 spelling words to go thru with 3 of the kids, and I swear I did pass grade school, why am I repeating it lol!
Tags:overwhelmed, stress
Reply Up