Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do When They Won't Sleep?
preschoolteacher 11:14 AM 10-21-2013
I need advice!

I have two 16-month-olds who will only sleep for an hour at a time. I really believe that one one-hour nap is way too little for kids of this age. So my question is---what should I do when they wake up? I have a video monitor, and I can see that they are playing a little bit, and then lying down every once in awhile. No crying, but they do occasionally yell out for a minute, and then go back to quietly playing.

What would you do?
Play Care 11:18 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I need advice!

I have two 16-month-olds who will only sleep for an hour at a time. I really believe that one one-hour nap is way too little for kids of this age. So my question is---what should I do when they wake up? I have a video monitor, and I can see that they are playing a little bit, and then lying down every once in awhile. No crying, but they do occasionally yell out for a minute, and then go back to quietly playing.

What would you do?
At that age I have kids separated and still in PNP's. If I couldn't do that I would probably go in and sit with them keeping them on their cots. But most of the kids in my care that age take 2+ hour naps.
butterfly 11:23 AM 10-21-2013
If you can monitor them and they aren't disrupting others sleep, I'd probably just let them play quietly. If they are still laying back down, etc. I would question wether they are really ready to get up. They are probably just testing the waters to see if you are going to let them get up and play. If not, they may just fall back to sleep.... wishful thinking?
preschoolteacher 11:26 AM 10-21-2013
They are siblings, so I know they are are okay sleeping in the same room. Otherwise, I'd separate right away!

I went in and told them it was naptime and they needed to lie down and go to sleep.

Guess who are both lying down again quietly

Testing the waters is right!!!

But how long would you let them stay in there and play quietly at this age? How long is too long? I feel like they won't cry and could go on playing happily in there for awhile... but I don't want to just leave them, kwim?
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 10-21-2013
Personally, I would let them be. They ARE resting.

My rest period is 2 hours. If they are awake but not screaming or disturbing anyone, I'd let them continue "resting" until your nap time is over.

I have furniture blocking the view for my 2 in PNP's who share a room.

Nothing to look at so they usually go back to sleep.

I can "see" them via monitor as well and I don't go in and get them until rest time is over. Some days, they sleep 2+ hours and other days, they sleep an hour and then lay there the rest of the time.
dingledine 12:48 PM 10-21-2013
I stay with them all until they fall asleep, when they wake up, they come to me in the other room. I check on them about every 15minutes, per regulations. I set them up at the duplo table, which is in a walk between for the licensed kitchen, and daycare bathroom, that part is unlicensed, the walk between... so I'm unsure as to how great that is, but I am with them, and it keeps the noise down and away from the sleepers. Most of mine sleep close to 90 minutes now, for a while they went through a stage of 35.
If they wake up and make noise, well... they are all in the same room about three feet apart, it wakes EVERYONE UP.
Tags:sleep - issues, won't sleep
Reply Up