Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Interviews to Get Someone?
Blackcat31 12:30 PM 05-04-2016
Originally Posted by Fancygoldfish:
I've been running a home daycare for 4 years after retiring from teaching. I am a legally unlicensed home daycare with 4-6 children.

How many interviews does it usually take everyone to get a signed contract and deposit?

Mine has been 1 out of 4 and I'd like to improve that because interviews drain the life out of me. I open up my home, I give them personal details all about me, they say wonderful things about my set up and clean house, they stay an hour and visit and just go on and on like it's a family reunion, and then they choose somebody else even when my rate is reasonable and I have a back up provider of needed so I never closed unexpectedly.
Welcome to the forum!

I think whether a family signs on or not depends on a lot of things. Is your area over saturated with providers?

Are families looking for licensed are verses non-licensed?

I don't necessarily know the answer because so much is dependent on your area and what types of things families in your area are looking for.

I would consider outright asking parents that choose other providers after interviewing with you why they went with someone else. Some may not be truthful but feedback (both positive and negative) are important for businesses.

Hang in there.....sometimes it take awhile to become established or earn a reputation.
Fancygoldfish 12:38 PM 05-04-2016
What is your ratio of interviews to signed contracts with deposits? Mine has been 1 out of 4 for 5 years and I'd like to improve that.

Interviews drain the life out of me because I open up my home and personal info to a stranger, they praise my clean house and nice set up, visit an hour like it's a family reunion, then choose someone else and never have the courtesy to get back to me.

I screen the inquiries out with pertinent questions, like hours needed and where they live abs work, and post my reasonable rates, so I'm only interviewing the best matches as it is.

I live in the suburbs of a Midwestern city with several home daycares in my area. Is 1/4 the usual success rate?
Thriftylady 12:50 PM 05-04-2016
It's hard to say. It seems like I go in phases where none sign up and then they all do. I just wish I would get some calls right now!
Mariahsaint 01:01 PM 05-04-2016
It's really hard to say because there are so many factors.

The parent could have decided another location has more affordable rates, perhaps they preferred the ratio at another daycare, preferred the environment... maybe their cousin's best friend's sister's daughter attends there.

We all go through dry spells occasionally as well. Sometimes it seems like we can never fill those last few spots, other times you'll be having your waitlist build almost a year ahead.

If you know the family went to another provider, it doesn't hurt to just ask what made them choose them over you. As providers, we're always looking for ways to better ourselves and the children in our care, so any information given would only ever help.
laundrymom 01:11 PM 05-04-2016
I generally have 15-20 families for each spot. I choose the one who fits best.
JackandJill 01:33 PM 05-04-2016
I would say 4 or 5 interviews, as well. I really like to take a month so i know I haven't rushed into anything.

I agree though, the interview process is really draining. Now, I let them know we will have 30 minutes face to face (I do an initial phone or email interview first to make sure it is potentially a good fit), and that I will be reviewing my handbook and give a brief tour. I tell them to write down any questions a head of time so they can be addressed as quickly as possible. I have one basket with toys for their little one so that I don't have to clean all over again.

I have a hard time not chatting but once I stopped making it a laid back interview with tons of chatting, I don't dread interviews the same way!!
Ariana 05:45 PM 05-04-2016
I don't do a lot of interviews but when I do 99% of the time the clients choose me as their provider. Do I choose them? Not necessarily. I had around 6 interviews in the last year and 4 of those people signed on with me and 2 didn't because I wasn't interested as their children were crazy or the parent was crazy!

Interviewing potential clients in a lot like dating, if you come accross as desperate they might pick up on that. Play it cool, like you don't need them and they might want to sign with you more. I literally do not care if a client chooses me or not.....similar to when I interview for a job. I have no attachment to the outcome! Don't take any of it personally!
AmyKidsCo 08:32 PM 05-04-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I generally have 15-20 families for each spot. I choose the one who fits best.
Holy guacamole - you've got more patience than I do! I usually interview as few families as I can because I hate cleaning my house to "interview standards" over and over again.
Leigh 06:39 AM 05-05-2016
For me, at least 4 of 5 families sign on when they interview. GETTING those interviews is hard for me because I am on the higher end of prices. I provide a lot more value for that price, too, tangible and intangible, but some parents are just looking for price. I've considered lowering prices to sign parents on, but those providers who get the price shoppers are also the ones who end up getting stuck with huge, unpaid bills and have to waste their time chasing down their money in court.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:32 AM 05-05-2016
Giving tours does take a lot. I usually will even have to schedule another helper just so I have time to sit down and talk to a potential parent.

Anyway, something that I have done is that during the interview I will tell them that I am looking to hear back within a week if they are interested in enrolling. If there is competition or only limited spots I will also inform them of that as well. I also give out handouts regarding my program along with my business card for them to take home, just so they can recall our conversation. Lastly, if I am interested in the family enrolling, I will send a little email note saying how great it was to have met them and remind them about what my program has to offer along with a link to my website.

Even with all that, it still is never a slam dunk, but at least at that point I feel I have done all I could do to represent my business well. The decision is out of my hands.
Cat Herder 04:40 PM 05-05-2016
I have not had that issue, but mine is a pretty niche set up. I stalked my location for years in the real estate guides until I could afford it then built my reputation in the community prior to opening. I am not fond of huge risks.

Have you ever contacted any of them and asked what made the difference for them?
clintonjohnson13 09:50 AM 05-12-2016
My wife had 3 interviews scheduled for this last weekend. First one went great! So far, 1 for 1 with two more interviews to go.

Next two both canceled! :*(

So 1 out of 3 for us.
Fancygoldfish 03:14 PM 05-12-2016
Update - 3 out of 5 interviews signed a contract with a deposit. They just took a long time to decide.

When I do get a reason for not being choosn, it's location.
Blackcat31 04:49 PM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by Fancygoldfish:
Update - 3 out of 5 interviews signed a contract with a deposit. They just took a long time to decide.

When I do get a reason for not being choosn, it's location.
. Glad you were able to sign on some new families!
Tags:interviews
Reply Up