Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:23 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default 2.5 Year Old Sleep Issues

This dcg will wiggle and fidget on her cot in order to keep herself awake. If she does fall asleep, she's awake 20-45 min later. Mom reports chronic night terrors, and upwards of 2 hrs of keeping herself awake before finally falling asleep. This has been ongoing since October. She has a weighted blanket and neither of us have seen a change with it.

At this point she is chronically whiney, impossible behavior wise, constant meltdowns. We're at a loss of what to do. Even when she gets quantity sleep, we both feel she's not getting quality sleep.

Any ideas?
Old 11-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would try the weighted blanket.Calming down before bed -nap.Are they putting her to bed to early?
Old 11-28-2018, 11:35 AM
Unregistered

I was going to say a weighted blanket! Is she getting any form of caffeine at hone say from chocolate milk or ice cream or even soda! The only thing I can think of is a sound/ white noise machine. My granddaughter wouldn't sleep either and was a mess!

I have heard of cases where Dr's prescribe melatonin. Sleep is so important for brain development.

Also, how much scree time does she get at hone? The can wire kids to sleep less. Hope there is an answer!! Good luck!
Old 11-28-2018, 12:03 PM

This is a typical age for nightmares. Imagination is in full swing and their brains go into high gear at bed time. I would ask what she is watching at home and make sure there is NOTHING scary in it....I mean nothing!
Old 11-28-2018, 03:18 PM

She watches little bear, Elmo and Mickey mouse clubhouse. Screen time is 1 episode, Max of 30 min, while dinner is being made.

No caffeine. Occasional chocolate treat but otherwise water or milk.

We have a sound machine here as well as a weighted blanket that we use daily, mom has the same at home and is used nightly.

Bedtime routine was established at 9 months old. Bath, book, bed. Currently she goes to bed between 7:30 & 8, wake up is 7:30am. It is not uncommon for her to be up, talking to herself, until 10pm. No TV in her room. Mom tried moving bedtime back to 8/8:30. Same thing.

Today at daycare it was 90 minutes of wiggling in a dark room with a weighted blanket and sound machine. She slept for 45 minutes after the 90 minutes of wiggling.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
She watches little bear, Elmo and Mickey mouse clubhouse. Screen time is 1 episode, Max of 30 min, while dinner is being made.

No caffeine. Occasional chocolate treat but otherwise water or milk.

We have a sound machine here as well as a weighted blanket that we use daily, mom has the same at home and is used nightly.

Bedtime routine was established at 9 months old. Bath, book, bed. Currently she goes to bed between 7:30 & 8, wake up is 7:30am. It is not uncommon for her to be up, talking to herself, until 10pm. No TV in her room. Mom tried moving bedtime back to 8/8:30. Same thing.

Today at daycare it was 90 minutes of wiggling in a dark room with a weighted blanket and sound machine. She slept for 45 minutes after the 90 minutes of wiggling.
Is this what mom is reporting to you or you know all of this for a fact? Something is off so my guess is mom is lying about something.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Is this what mom is reporting to you or you know all of this for a fact? Something is off so my guess is mom is lying about something.
What mom is reporting.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:51 AM

Sounds to me like she's not getting enough exercise.

Wiggling around in order to fall asleep is usually a good indication of excess energy.

I've had my fair share of kids that fidget or wiggle until they fall asleep exhausted and 9 out of 10 times, its due to lacking exercise over all. If energy isn't fully spent prior to bed time or rest time, she isn't going to sleep quickly nor is she going to stay asleep.

"Sleepless in America" Best book ever in regards to sleep issues
Old 11-29-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Sounds to me like she's not getting enough exercise.

Wiggling around in order to fall asleep is usually a good indication of excess energy.

I've had my fair share of kids that fidget or wiggle until they fall asleep exhausted and 9 out of 10 times, its due to lacking exercise over all. If energy isn't fully spent prior to bed time or rest time, she isn't going to sleep quickly nor is she going to stay asleep.

"Sleepless in America" Best book ever in regards to sleep issues
Interesting. This could very well be it.

Tags
2 year old, 2.5 year old, sleep issues, won't sleep