Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Games And Crafts For The Under Two Crowd...
jen 03:18 PM 12-13-2010
Stamps...they do love to stamp stuff. Sometimes I just put butcher block paper at the table and let them go to town, stamping away.

Another version of stamping, my all time childhood favorite, potato stamping. You cut the potato in half, carve a design and show the kids how to stamp it on the paper. **tip: fold up a paper towel, get it a little wet, pour a little paint on and rub it in a bit. It makes sort of a stamp pad and eliminates the big globs of paint.

Finger painting, painting with pudding, puffy paint (50/50 shaving cream and elmers glue)

Music...it's loud but they do love to get out the instruments

Throwing rolled up socks in to a laundry tub, always a hit.

Cut out some Christmas trees from an piece of construction paper, give the kids a little glue on a paper plate, show them how to put one finger in the glue, then dab it on the tree, and stick on a piece of sequence. I just did that with my group and my just turned 2 in October was totally in to it. Mine are big in to sticking that stuff in their mouths, but beware if yours are.

Have them paint glue on a piece of white paper, literally using a middle to large kids paint brush. Then give them different color sand in old salt and pepper shakers, I got mine from the salvation army thrift store, and let them shake the different colored sand on to the paper.

That's it for now, but I'm sure everyone will have great ideas to get you feeling a little more charged up.
SilverSabre25 03:52 PM 12-13-2010
Ooo, awesome! I have very few ideas for crafts that the littles can do. Watching closely for ideas!!!
nikia 04:02 PM 12-13-2010
Finger painting and lots of it lol. For their feet and hands. I put my husbands t shirts on them and let them go crazy.
Candyland 04:18 PM 12-13-2010
cute ideas, Jen.
Crystal 06:32 PM 12-13-2010
splatter paint...hang butcher paper on a wall or fence, give ANYTHING to dip in paint, have the children stand a foot or so away and SLING their tool! Tools I have used: paintbrushes, pine tree branches, flyswatters, strawberry baskets.

glue, and LOTS of it. I add liquid watercolor (or food coloring) to white glue, give them heavy pieces of cardboard and allow them to glue as much as they want. The glue dries shiny and looks like an abstract painting when dry.

Nature collage....collect stuff outside with kids. Cut paper bags into shapes, use inside of bag to glue materials on, hang with twine.

PAINT, PAINT, PAINt!!!
E Daycare 06:49 PM 12-13-2010
Home made playdough is a go to here. Along with the finger painting and use of those crayola beginings markers.

My son likes to eat everything (sigh) so Ive had to stay away from glue
jen 06:50 PM 12-13-2010
Oh...do you have a patio window?

Mix some paint with liquid dishsoap and let them paint the window!!!
E Daycare 06:51 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
Oh...do you have a patio window?

Mix some paint with liquid dishsoap and let them paint the window!!!
Thats a good idea! Im gonna have to try this come spring.
momma2girls 06:55 PM 12-13-2010
This is awesome for toddlers- pudding painting!!
MommyMuffin 04:11 AM 12-14-2010
Wonderful ideas!!! One question and some may laugh but does the "washable" paint really wash out of kitchen floors, wood tables..?
I really want to try the pudding painting!!!! I think I am afraid of messes but if they have big smiles and have fun for more than 1 minute then it is worth it.
SilverSabre25 05:14 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
Wonderful ideas!!! One question and some may laugh but does the "washable" paint really wash out of kitchen floors, wood tables..?
I really want to try the pudding painting!!!! I think I am afraid of messes but if they have big smiles and have fun for more than 1 minute then it is worth it.
IME so far, yes, the Crayola washable paint really does wash up very nicely, even out of clothes, off surfaces, etc. I can't speak for other brands, because I do tend to stick with Crayola for these things (yep, a bit of a brand snob there, but they really are quality products). The washable crayons and markers are really quite washable too.
momofsix 05:32 AM 12-14-2010
Off brands do not always easily wash off, they can leave a stain on hands that doesn't wash off with soap and water for days
Crystal 05:41 AM 12-14-2010
mr clean magic eraser will remove any of it from the tables and hard surface floors/walls. I also use big strips of plastic on the floor for messier work.
laundrymom 10:47 AM 12-14-2010
white mud,... very cheap toilet paper, think aldi or big lots, shred it into pieces, the kids can do this, I do a roll or two, then 1/2 to 3/4 bar ivory,.. cheese grated, boiling water, mix with soap until it ,elts, then add to toilet paper,.. you can keep it a couple days and its soap, worst thing can happen is loose poop.
DCMomOf3 12:55 PM 12-14-2010
glue sticks and anything you want to provide to let them glue. LOL. My crew could just do that for hours.

any sort of painting.
momma2girls 12:59 PM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
They really like pudding painting!!
Tags:2 year old, age appropriate, toys age appropriate
Reply Up