Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Unlicensed Provider Question
EAP 11:39 AM 10-25-2013
If you care for less children than a license requires, and are not licensed by the state but still have a fed tax id and still claim all the income can you still deduct all the home expenses etc?
TheGoodLife 11:42 AM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by EAP:
If you care for less children than a license requires, and are not licensed by the state but still have a fed tax id and still claim all the income can you still deduct all the home expenses etc?
Yes As long as you are legal, which you would be, you can claim everything on taxes that a licensed provider can. (I am license exempt here in NE)
EAP 11:45 AM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
Yes As long as you are legal, which you would be, you can claim everything on taxes that a licensed provider can. (I am license exempt here in NE)
How does "legal" work? My state is basically 2 children who are not yours is fine anything more and you need license.
itlw8 12:58 PM 10-25-2013
so do you fit that 2 children???? if so you get to claim all home deductions.
EAP 05:06 AM 10-26-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
so do you fit that 2 children???? if so you get to claim all home deductions.
I'm licensed now, I am just thinking of long term if I want to maintain it.
TheGoodLife 11:14 AM 10-26-2013
I am license exempt if I have 3 or less, other than my own kids. I do that, therefore I am "legal" and can claim everything on my taxes
Cradle2crayons 12:16 PM 10-26-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
I am license exempt if I have 3 or less, other than my own kids. I do that, therefore I am "legal" and can claim everything on my taxes
Same here except here, it's 5 not counting my own to be license exempt.
Memc2001 08:01 PM 10-27-2013
Yes, before I was licensed I had already established an LLC and a Fed. Tax ID number for my clients. Makes everything legit.

You can deduct the percentage of your house, utilities, etc that is used for daycare area. Anything you are buying for business purpose goes as a deduction.
TomCopeland 09:43 AM 10-30-2013
Originally Posted by EAP:
Yes. All license exempt providers can claim business expenses in the same as as if they were licensed.
Unregistered 12:57 PM 01-31-2014
Hello,
I have an EIN from when I was licensed last year, I have not removed it. Should I use my EIN number for the parents yearly receipt or would I need to use mu SS#? Would it cause conflict if I did use the EIN when I am no longer licensed?
Thank you.
TomCopeland 02:37 PM 02-01-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello,
I have an EIN from when I was licensed last year, I have not removed it. Should I use my EIN number for the parents yearly receipt or would I need to use mu SS#? Would it cause conflict if I did use the EIN when I am no longer licensed?
Thank you.
Continue to use your EIN even if you are not licensed anymore. The IRS still considers you to be in business, even if you are not licensed.

Don’t miss my February 4th webinar “Tax Changes for 2013: How to Avoid Mistakes When Filling Out Your 2013 Tax Forms.” It starts at 9pm Eastern Time and is sponsored by Daycare.com. Register here:http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab
Tags:deductions, unlicensed daycare
Reply Up