Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Grr...Parents

I had a parent not bring pull-ups for her 22 month old, said I didnít text for them...only wipes. Which Iím sure I did. Anyway, I asked her to plz bring them tomorrow. She agreed. Itís not like this parent to forget anything. So, I began thinking that she thinks I should use less or no pull-ups if Iím asking her son to go potty every hour.
Months ago I sent a Very detailed letter to everyone outlining our potty training policy. This parent didnít say anything about it. The policy indicated that a child will come in pull-ups until they can say regularly ďI have to go pottyĒ. I already change everyone at 1030, 1230, and 330.
I explained that part of potty training is learning to hold it bc I donít have time to take a kid on call or every hour to the potty. I watch 10 kids with my mom under 3 yrs old.
Yesterday, out of nervousness and trying to understand the reasoning the parent didnít bring the diapers when asked...I said ďIím trying to use less pull-ups but this kid had already went before 930, then we played in the sprinkler and then he soaked one through his pants at nap time.
The parent said, ď you have to make a game out of it...a contest and ask every hourĒ. Also, dcb didnít need a pull-up for 2 weeks and the night on vacation. (He was only gone on vacation for 5 days not 2 weeks)
Um, I need advice on what to say.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:20 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core12 View Post

• I had a parent not bring pull-ups for her 22 month old, said I didnít text for them.
  • I asked her to plz bring them tomorrow. She agreed.
  • Itís not like this parent to forget anything.
  • This parent didnít say anything about it.

I'd say nothing. You may be overthinking this one.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:17 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would hand them another copy of your potty plan.I would ask for enough pullups for two weeks.Then every week take stock and ask for what you need.If pushed I always told parents my business my rules.Kids are different at home.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:52 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Thanks!

She brought 2 diapers today!
Old 06-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I had a parent not bring pull-ups for her 22 month old, said I didnít text for them...only wipes. Which Iím sure I did. Anyway, I asked her to plz bring them tomorrow. She agreed. Itís not like this parent to forget anything. So, I began thinking that she thinks I should use less or no pull-ups if Iím asking her son to go potty every hour.
Months ago I sent a Very detailed letter to everyone outlining our potty training policy. This parent didnít say anything about it. The policy indicated that a child will come in pull-ups until they can say regularly ďI have to go pottyĒ. I already change everyone at 1030, 1230, and 330.
I explained that part of potty training is learning to hold it bc I donít have time to take a kid on call or every hour to the potty. I watch 10 kids with my mom under 3 yrs old.
Yesterday, out of nervousness and trying to understand the reasoning the parent didnít bring the diapers when asked...I said ďIím trying to use less pull-ups but this kid had already went before 930, then we played in the sprinkler and then he soaked one through his pants at nap time.
The parent said, ď you have to make a game out of it...a contest and ask every hourĒ. Also, dcb didnít need a pull-up for 2 weeks and the night on vacation. (He was only gone on vacation for 5 days not 2 weeks)
I would let the parent(s) know that it is not possible to ask the child to go every hour as your schedule is very busy and the child needs to learn to ask as part of his/her training per your policy. Also, he/she needs pullups at your daycare, even during nap, due to health reasons. You cannot have a child urinating on your floor/cots, etc. and have 10 children walking through it upon waking. "Sometimes children tend to be very busy here and it's not the same as training at home Mom." ;-) Also, "I can supply diapers/pullups but I have to charge you $....per. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2019, 11:11 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Uh just no. I'd request a good supply, things happen. And if I was expected to make 2 diapers last a whole day, that poor kid would either go home soaked/dirty or I'd be using spare diapers I had at a premium cost to the parents. There are lots of ways to save money and sparing diapers is NOT one of them. Tell them to cut their cable bill instead.

And another thought, even if you could bring snowflake to the bathroom every single hour, how many kids have you known to sit there and try for 10 minutes, only to walk into the other room and poop??
Old 06-06-2019, 11:49 AM

2?

That is ridiculous.

Ok, so passive aggressive? Sorry you are having to deal with that. Any interviews set up?
Old 06-06-2019, 11:54 AM
Unregistered

Call for pick up when a third is needed.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:04 PM
Daycare.com Member

so, when the second diaper gets wet you can call his parents and ask to pick-up the kid or send home a lot of his wet clothes when they come to pick-up.

I know I can forget to inform parents that their kid needs more diapers. Because of that, I send "an SMS" on the last diaper a kid has on. I just write on it by a permanent marker: "Mom, I need more diapers." It works pretty well and parents always smile and say to me: OK, we got your SMS.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:36 PM
False Sense Of Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree. She is trying to force you to potty train the child on her timetable.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:36 PM
New Daycare.com Member

At our center we take our children every 30 minutes-1 hour during the day and before and after nap. Two of our teachers have had parents bring enough supplies for the day when they were potty training and their kids were not ready. Or bring supplies and no extra clothing
Old 06-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Yes definitely. You can play the game too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springvalley112 View Post
At our center we take our children every 30 minutes-1 hour during the day and before and after nap. Two of our teachers have had parents bring enough supplies for the day when they were potty training and their kids were not ready. Or bring supplies and no extra clothing
How do you get anything else done during the day? Unless your ratio is 1-1 or maybe 2-1. Even then you're missing more outside time, rushing through lunch. Plus how do kids learn to read their body signals or hold it for a few minutes?
Old 06-06-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springvalley112 View Post
In my home daycare, That would mean being in the bathroom ALL day. Figure 10 kids x 3 minutes to get them in the bathroom, wash their hands, etc. -it would mean by the time I got to the last one, Iíd be starting over.
Plus wouldnít it be really NOT potty training since they wouldnít even get the feeling of having to go pee since they go so much?
Old 06-06-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Time for a heart to heart with mom. And explain she either abides by your potty training policy, or this isnít going to work.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
If my DCPs send diapers after they've asked to start potty training and been informed that they need to send PullUps, I just "assume we're not potty training" and change them like a baby. Easier day for me.... You don't want to provide me with the supplies for potty training, we're not potty training today. Simple.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:03 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst View Post

I know I can forget to inform parents that their kid needs more diapers. Because of that, I send "an SMS" on the last diaper a kid has on. I just write on it by a permanent marker: "Mom, I need more diapers." It works pretty well and parents always smile and say to me: OK, we got your SMS.
I do that too. A big bold "Last Diaper" on the front.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:49 AM
New Daycare.com Member

@Josiegirl: I watch the children while the lead takes the children 2 at a time to the potty. We have a house that's been converted into a daycare and a gym and both of the buildings have bathrooms and the bathroom in the house is in the classroom
Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 AM
Daycare.com Member

Had a dropoff today with "They haven't had an accident in two days, so they're in underpants." The parent was horrified when I said, "Sure, we can try that, but if they have an accident here they'll need to wear pull-ups again until they've been accident-free here for a week." The parent feels that will set them back. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but if they have an accident here, they aren't potty trained!

And the kid soiled themselves 15 minutes after dropoff. Undies are in a plastic bag and I'm hoping all adults involved can stay classy about this.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:09 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1225 View Post
In my home daycare, That would mean being in the bathroom ALL day. Figure 10 kids x 3 minutes to get them in the bathroom, wash their hands, etc. -it would mean by the time I got to the last one, Iíd be starting over.
Plus wouldnít it be really NOT potty training since they wouldnít even get the feeling of having to go pee since they go so much?
it will happen only if all of them are in the process of potty training. Usually, it is one-two-three of them at a time.
Right now I have four kids in the process of PT. Each of them has own potty and they use it in front of my bathroom. So, I can send them to the potties at the same time. Those kids are under 2yo.
the other eight are potty-trained and don't need any of my help. Two youngest of them are 2.10
Old 06-27-2019, 12:30 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestle View Post
Had a dropoff today with "They haven't had an accident in two days, so they're in underpants." The parent was horrified when I said, "Sure, we can try that, but if they have an accident here they'll need to wear pull-ups again until they've been accident-free here for a week." The parent feels that will set them back. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but if they have an accident here, they aren't potty trained!

And the kid soiled themselves 15 minutes after dropoff. Undies are in a plastic bag and I'm hoping all adults involved can stay classy about this.
Ugh tell the parent they can come clean up the mess and pay for your carpet cleaning an or rug.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:17 PM
New Daycare.com Member

I would state your potty training policy and that they need to follow it. Call for pickup after the diapers run out and let them know that you are calling emergency contacts if they don't arrive within 1 hour.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:39 PM
Daycare.com Member

OP, how do you not have a record of what you texted?
Old 07-09-2019, 02:43 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I have a "disposable supply fee" in my policies. If a parent doesn't bring diapers or wipes I'll use some from my stash and charge per item. I don't recall the amount off the top of my head but it's big enough to be a deterrent.

Tags
overthinking, passive aggressive, potty training, projection, unreasonable parental expectations