Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Children Separated by Pay Type
Unregistered 06:58 AM 04-12-2016
Recently, my one year old was moved to a new room at her day care center. This was not unexpected as I knew she couldn't stay with the babies forever. However, shortly after the move, I learned that the center was separating children by the method in which they are paid. Private pay infants and toddlers are in one room together, while infants and toddlers receiving DHS subsidy have not been moved and are grouped by age and like development.

The center is the recipient of a grant, which I believe is issued by the state. The grant provides diapers and formula for children who qualify. The child must receive DHS subsidy to qualify. The grant also provided the center with new furniture including cribs and shelving/cubbies, new flooring and new toys/ equipment for every room. Every room except the "private pay" room.

As a result of these recent developments, my child is now in a disorganized, thrown together, make-shift room with babies much younger than her. Honestly, I'm upset. I want to address this with the director, but I don't want to come forth without solid reasoning and cause unnecessary drama either. I feel like children being separated because of payment method is not ethical. What would you do if you were in this situation.
ChelseaB 07:07 AM 04-12-2016
I cannot speak for legalities from the daycare perspective because I don't accept subsidy, so I'm not sure.

However, I can speak personally. I would never segregate my daycare like that. They're children and all are entitled to the same proper care and equipment. And if you're unhappy with it, there's nothing wrong with at least asking what is going on. If you're not satisfied (as I don't believe I would be), I'd pull and take somewhere else. No drama necessary.
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Recently, my one year old was moved to a new room at her day care center. This was not unexpected as I knew she couldn't stay with the babies forever. However, shortly after the move, I learned that the center was separating children by the method in which they are paid. Private pay infants and toddlers are in one room together, while infants and toddlers receiving DHS subsidy have not been moved and are grouped by age and like development.

The center is the recipient of a grant, which I believe is issued by the state. The grant provides diapers and formula for children who qualify. The child must receive DHS subsidy to qualify. The grant also provided the center with new furniture including cribs and shelving/cubbies, new flooring and new toys/ equipment for every room. Every room except the "private pay" room.

As a result of these recent developments, my child is now in a disorganized, thrown together, make-shift room with babies much younger than her. Honestly, I'm upset. I want to address this with the director, but I don't want to come forth without solid reasoning and cause unnecessary drama either. I feel like children being separated because of payment method is not ethical. What would you do if you were in this situation.
How did this information come your way?
Also what state is this?

As for approaching the director, just ask.

If it's true, there IS reason to address it.
MamaMightSnap 07:44 AM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How did this information come your way?
Also what state is this?

As for approaching the director, just ask.

If it's true, there IS reason to address it.
I posted this question before I was registered under this username. I am the OP

The center has been very open about the grant and the changes it would bring to the center. However, I have a family member at the center. More specifically the director, who informed me of the private pay vs subsidy situation. This information is very true. This is in Oklahoma.

I have no problem approaching the situation, I am simply seeking opinions to determine if I may be blowing this out of proportion.
rosieteddy 07:55 AM 04-12-2016
I would be livid! I can not believe this is legal.......Segregation of any kind should not be tolerated.The school should have all the children grouped as licencing says.I know many schools have infants up to age 15 months .Then they move on...I can not imagine this is legal.That would be like having school children who receive free or discounted lunch not only sitting separately but getting different meals.I hope its not legal. If I were you I would absolutely talk to the Directer.If you do not get the answers I would call licencing.Good luck.
Cat Herder 08:13 AM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I would be livid! I can not believe this is legal.......Segregation of any kind should not be tolerated.
The staff in that room also have higher training requirements to meet the specialized needs of "at risk" kids.

It is part of a grant. For that specific room.

Think franchised head start.
Thriftylady 08:18 AM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The staff in that room also have higher training requirements to meet the specialized needs of "at risk" kids.

It is part of a grant. For that specific room.

Think franchised head start.
Because that program has been such a raving success!
Cat Herder 07:56 AM 04-12-2016
The grant is per room. The room is for subsidy aka "at risk" children.

The supplies are FOR those children specifically. With required supplies lists.

You will have to complain at a federal level for this. I know we have been.
Thriftylady 08:07 AM 04-12-2016

So are you saying the feds are segregating this? I guess I am glad I don't accept subsidy. Not sure it would make a difference in home care anyway. But to me, any improvements I make to my program should be to the benefit of all children. It is my belief if you benefit one, you benefit them all!
Cat Herder 08:17 AM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
So are you saying the feds are segregating this?
No. Eventually it will spread to all rooms as they meet certain requirements. They are usually tiered.

I've had 10 grand worth of supplies so far, in three separate stages over 4 years.
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by MamaMightSnap:
I posted this question before I was registered under this username. I am the OP

The center has been very open about the grant and the changes it would bring to the center. However, I have a family member at the center. More specifically the director, who informed me of the private pay vs subsidy situation. This information is very true. This is in Oklahoma.

I have no problem approaching the situation, I am simply seeking opinions to determine if I may be blowing this out of proportion.
Personally, I DO feel it's something complaint worthy.... at ANY level that will listen. Feedback is any consumers biggest advocate.

Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I would be livid! I can not believe this is legal.......Segregation of any kind should not be tolerated.The school should have all the children grouped as licencing says.I know many schools have infants up to age 15 months .Then they move on...I can not imagine this is legal.That would be like having school children who receive free or discounted lunch not only sitting separately but getting different meals.I hope its not legal. If I were you I would absolutely talk to the Directer.If you do not get the answers I would call licencing.Good luck.
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Now, if I were to have top of the line supplies and ONLY allow my private pay clients children access, but kept the state pay kids in a different room with old toys, etc. I would get in big trouble.

I find this alarming.
See, now I've come across many different types of discrimination but it always seems that ANY TIME the action benefits the less fortunate, it's not defined as discrimination.

There are certain "requirements" I must give families in my care that are receiving subsidy but do not have to extend the same to those that do not receive subsidy.

I've gotten many grants/perks etc from federal programs but I've never had one, nor heard of one that was so blatantly discriminating.
Cat Herder 09:22 AM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I've gotten many grants/perks etc from federal programs but I've never had one, nor heard of one that was so blatantly discriminating.
But it is not really.

They are still growing and adding a room. Somebody's kids had to go in there. The grant is to benefit subsidy kids, so subsidy kids get first choice of slots in new rooms.

Just like a Pre-K class and the standard "4 year old class" in the same private center. One belongs to and is overseen by the BOE, the other is a private center overseen by CCR&R. KWIM?
KidGrind 07:22 AM 04-16-2016

You saved me a lot of typing.
Tags:government intrusion, government subsidies, grant money, grants, quality, race to the top, separating children, separating children -based on rates, subsidy
Reply Up