Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Fire Alarm System Not Functioning @ Daycare
Unregistered 04:39 AM 07-31-2010
After a monthly fire drill at my child's daycare, the siren malfunctioned and would not stop blaring. The children had to be kept outside because it was too loud inside. When I picked my child up at the end of the day, I was told that the center may not be open tomorrow if it could not be fixed, and that I should call by 6am the next morning to find out status. When I called, they said everything was fine and they were open, so I dropped my child off. At 3:30 in the afternoon, an email memo was sent to all parents of children at the center from my company's HR dept (note: this is a company sponsored daycare center). The email informed parents that due to the issues the day before, the fire alarm system was not functioning properly - that the lights and siren were not working, but that the heat sensors and sprinklers were OK. The local fire dept had been contacted, and a security guard had been placed on "fire watch". I am frustrated. I feel that parents should have been notified before dropping children off. I know that there is a 1 in a million chance that something would ever happen, but the reason you have a fire alarm in the first place is for that 1 in a million. I want to know if it is legal to (1) not have a functioning fire alarm system or (2) not inform parents of the safety issue BEFORE drop-off. I read through the KY licensing guidelines, but did not find this specified anywhere.
Tags:fire alarm, parent communication, safety
Up