Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sustainability Grant Proposal
CrackerJacks 01:21 PM 01-24-2013
Has anyone had to write a grant before? There is a local agency here that has a grant that I wanted to apply for. It's a "sustainability" grant and if chosen will cover the cost (up to a certain dollar amt) for any project that will help your program become more "green". I was already planning on building a raised vegetable/fruit planter this spring so this would be great. The only problem is, I've never written a grant before. I've googled it and it seems like a lot of work. I'm just looking for any tips or wording that might help me. Here is the info they are looking for in the grant proposal.

1. School/facility name, address, phone number
2. A detailed description of each proposed sustainability item
3. A budget of each sustainability item
4. An explanation of why the grant will help your school or center "go green" in a way that will increase your students awareness of the environment.
itlw8 01:42 PM 01-24-2013
make sure you follow EVERY requirement if it say sign in blue ink DO IT they may toss it without reading if you do not follow the rules.

Have someone proof read it. If you know someone with a degree in early childhood have them teacher it up but not too much. They have to understand it but key words like social development, cognative development, gross motor really do make a difference.

Many people do not do these because it is too much work. I was the ONLY one in my association that took the time to write a grant proposal 3 years ago. Well I got it and have a great playground with rubber mulch because of it. Yeah tons of work but worth it. Same with this Teacher award I just got. I tried to talk all of them into doing the work... nope too much work they said.

as far as your project I would add in composting, worm composting, a rain garden, rain barrels things that will help that garden use less water.
Sugar Magnolia 04:22 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
make sure you follow EVERY requirement if it say sign in blue ink DO IT they may toss it without reading if you do not follow the rules.

Have someone proof read it. If you know someone with a degree in early childhood have them teacher it up but not too much. They have to understand it but key words like social development, cognative development, gross motor really do make a difference.

Many people do not do these because it is too much work. I was the ONLY one in my association that took the time to write a grant proposal 3 years ago. Well I got it and have a great playground with rubber mulch because of it. Yeah tons of work but worth it. Same with this Teacher award I just got. I tried to talk all of them into doing the work... nope too much work they said.

as far as your project I would add in composting, worm composting, a rain garden, rain barrels things that will help that garden use less water.
That is super awesome advice! I agree totally. Be thorough, proof read, double check everything. Do you need help with ideas? Or with the writing part? Pm me if you want me to take a look, proofread. My experience is worth historic preservation, but a grant is a grant procedural wise. Itlw8t, thanks for the inspiration to look into daycare grants for my place, I could use some, and I just haven't had the energy to look into it.

Good luck with the green grant Cracker Jacks!
Sugar Magnolia 05:17 PM 01-24-2013
I googled "ideas projects for teaching preschoolers about conservation environment" and saw some good sites.
CrackerJacks 06:38 PM 01-24-2013
Thanks ladies. I'll keep you posted as to how it all turns out. I'm one for applying for anything that may help benefit my program. I've applied for several other programs/grants and always have been accepted. They were more like application type forms though with a few short essay questions to answer. I guess am just having trouble figuring out how to word the "reasons" as to how this will benefit my kids (all 2yo-5yo) I will check out that website. Thanks again all. How long do you think the grant should be. Everything I've googled shows grant proposals that are several pages long. I don't know that I could write THAT much about a raised vegetable/fruit garden...LOL!
itlw8 07:40 PM 01-24-2013
what is the amount of the grant. I think you need more than just a garden . something for making that garden green as in water conservation.
CrackerJacks 07:54 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
what is the amount of the grant. I think you need more than just a garden . something for making that garden green as in water conservation.
Up to $500.

One example that is listed as a qualifying Project is
"creation or enhancement of a vegetable garden for locally sourced produce for the children to eat at school"

So this is what I'm going on.
CrackerJacks 02:33 PM 02-08-2013
Just wanted to thank you ladies for all your input. I received a letter today saying that my grant was accepted! Yeah! Now to start construction!
Sugar Magnolia 05:28 PM 02-08-2013
Awesome!
Tags:grant
Reply Up