Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Friendly Backbone??
wahmof3 07:33 PM 10-01-2011
Hi, new here! I have been in the home child care business for 5 years. This has been the best career move I have made. Very scary at 1st, but I have built my business & run a great program!

My biggest problem is having a "friendly backbone". I have several dcp who forget my policies or have never read them.

I try to be in the drivers seat of my child care & I always feel that when I reinforce a policy that the dcp leave either laughing or saying geeze what a bleep.

For instance: This year I decided to be specific on the hours I am available for child care. 7am-4:30pm. When I informed my dcp of the new hours, specifically that I am closing at 4:30pm. The response I got was do we need to leave work at 4:30 or be there by 4:30? I WANTED to say: when the store closes at 5pm does the clerk let you in at 5:10 just because?

How do you gain the respect of a professional child care provider & not just the babysitter???
Michael 11:44 PM 10-01-2011
Welcome to the forum. I upgraded your status.
Kaddidle Care 05:16 AM 10-02-2011
Welcome!

Always refer to your signed contract when enforcing rules.

You must have a lot of parents that are Teachers. A closing time of 4:30 would put us out of business. Most of our clients work in the 9-5 realm. As it is our Center is thinking of extending hours a half hour in both directions.
wahmof3 02:40 PM 10-02-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Welcome!

Always refer to your signed contract when enforcing rules.

You must have a lot of parents that are Teachers. A closing time of 4:30 would put us out of business. Most of our clients work in the 9-5 realm. As it is our Center is thinking of extending hours a half hour in both directions.
Yes I do have mainly teachers kids & we have a local community college & I take care of some while parents go to school during the day. It has taken me several years to get to this and I don't want to have dcp leave bc I keep re-enforcing polices but I get so tired of policies getting broken & I feel as I get taken advantage of all the time.
Cat Herder 04:17 PM 10-02-2011
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
This year I decided to be specific on the hours I am available for child care. 7am-4:30pm. When I informed my dcp of the new hours, specifically that I am closing at 4:30pm. The response I got was do we need to leave work at 4:30 or be there by 4:30?
How do you gain the respect of a professional child care provider & not just the babysitter???
You can enforce your closing time by adding in a late fee. If it costs them nothing it does not effect them.

Mine is $1 a minute past 6pm. (I think I have had 4 lates in the last 5 years)

Example:

"My hours of operation are from 7:00am until 4:30pm. Late Pickups will be charged at a rate of $1 per minute past 4:30pm. Thank you in advance for respecting my family time."

Unfortunately to gain respect from clients, you will have to demand it. If you don't respect your own policies enough to enforce them everytime, they never will follow them.

Mixing adult business dealings with caring for children sometimes feels wrong, but after being stepped on enough by the adults...you get REALLY good at it.

Good luck, hun.
Springdaze 08:24 AM 10-03-2011
I have the same problem and am paying dearly at times for it, but I find that the parents will do things because they can get away with it and when you call them on it, its not usually a problem. they knew they were taking advantage and were wrong all along!
Tags:backbone, late fee, late fee - letter, late pick up fee, pick up time
Reply Up