Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stressing out! Please help!
KristinsHomeCC 11:22 AM 07-06-2015
I'm going on week 3 with my 1st DCK. See, I'm learning the lingo around here Anyways . . My son (1.5 yr) threw a toy right at this little guys face (he's 12 months) and got him under the eye. It cut it a little and now it's red and swollen. Had previously been texting the DCM, she was wondering how he was doing because he's been cranky last couple days because of teething. I told her I had to fill out an accident form and she needs to sign it. She replied rudely which made me feel bad for some reason. It's going to happen, right??? I am freaking out! I am so scared for her to pick him up. If she gives me crap for it, what do I do?
Unregistered 11:35 AM 07-06-2015
Just remember any kid can throw a toy at another. It makes it a bit more awkward when its your child doing the throwing but parents have to remember young children all do things like this.
Heidi 11:42 AM 07-06-2015
You need to be confident about this!

It will happen! For Gosh sakes, their babies. Don't let her make you feel like it's a huge deal.

For the future, I would suggest that unless it's an emergency, you wait until shortly before pickup to let parents know about this sort of thing. Half the time, those kind of marks are gone by pick up. Obviously, if it's a serious head wound or needs medical attention, you call right away.

If not, THEN text her and say "hey..just an FYI, Little Man has an owie on his arm/leg/face/hand. A stray toy made contact again. We had a little cuddle, and he's been happily playing ever since". Then, when they come to pick up, complain about the ridiculous amount of trees wasted when you have to do an "incident report" for every stray toy or scraped knee.

In WI, incident reports only need to be done if the child requires medical attention. Otherwise, we're just supposed to log it in our medical log.
Shell 11:50 AM 07-06-2015
It happens, don't worry about it. When this kind of stuff happens, I try to have a plan of action to try and prevent it the next time (ex, take away a sharp toy and replace with soft ones). This kind of stuff will happen, and there's not much you can do to prevent it. Agree with keeping confident and waiting to text, unless it's an emergency.
Controlled Chaos 11:56 AM 07-06-2015
Yea, I wouldn't have been focused on the paperwork in the text. I might have said "He has been having a fun day playing with xyz, I am afraid he has a tiny owie on his cheek (I would avoid saying eye...eye accidents are scary). I was more upset about it than he was, tough little monkey. I just wanted to give you a heads up, so when you pick up you aren't surprised or worried. He's making the funniest raspberry sounds at other dcb now " Keep the focus on how wonderful and happy lo is, be honest, but remember a parents job is to protect their lo so a little reaction is normal. She might not have thought she was rude - text is hard to read. She might have thought you sounded cold rather than apologetic. Just a thought.

Welcome!
daycare 12:48 PM 07-06-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Yea, I wouldn't have been focused on the paperwork in the text. I might have said "He has been having a fun day playing with xyz, I am afraid he has a tiny owie on his cheek (I would avoid saying eye...eye accidents are scary). I was more upset about it than he was, tough little monkey. I just wanted to give you a heads up, so when you pick up you aren't surprised or worried. He's making the funniest raspberry sounds at other dcb now " Keep the focus on how wonderful and happy lo is, be honest, but remember a parents job is to protect their lo so a little reaction is normal. She might not have thought she was rude - text is hard to read. She might have thought you sounded cold rather than apologetic. Just a thought.

Welcome!
this........

I would send a text and said what she said...it was not minor, don't make it sound any different.

boys were playing and your dcb got a love tap.. after some love and hugs he was fine... hes back to playing and about to have lunch....
Thriftylady 12:52 PM 07-06-2015
Welcome! I agree the bigger deal you make of it, the bigger deal the kids and parents make of it. And when you get more DCK's I wouldn't even tell them what child did the throwing. You can then just tell them that it is confidential. Hard to do when there are only two kids there though. But if it is very often your child, then you get "well the providers child gets special treatment" even though usually we providers are horrified when our own kids do something.
KristinsHomeCC 07:25 AM 07-09-2015
Thank you ladies! I remained calm and confident. I am an over-thinker and a push over. I get nervous about little things, starting to realize that's all going to have to go away with a home daycare Time to grow a backbone!

It was NO big deal whatsoever. I misread the text. Freaked out and needing to hear some advice to calm down lol! She really did not care. Then the next day came, and he tripped and fell on a toy. Left a bruise on his chest. I told her once she came like advised She knew he was clumsy and asked if he's walked into a wall yet, jokingly. So everything is FINE here! Landed my 2nd child last night with an on the spot YES, they loved me! Yay!

Thanks all, once again <3 Love this page!
Heidi 03:45 PM 07-09-2015
Originally Posted by KristinsHomeCC:
Thank you ladies! I remained calm and confident. I am an over-thinker and a push over. I get nervous about little things, starting to realize that's all going to have to go away with a home daycare Time to grow a backbone!

It was NO big deal whatsoever. I misread the text. Freaked out and needing to hear some advice to calm down lol! She really did not care. Then the next day came, and he tripped and fell on a toy. Left a bruise on his chest. I told her once she came like advised She knew he was clumsy and asked if he's walked into a wall yet, jokingly. So everything is FINE here! Landed my 2nd child last night with an on the spot YES, they loved me! Yay!

Thanks all, once again <3 Love this page!

Reply Up