Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do I Say??? Parent text
Jack Sprat 06:30 AM 02-20-2015
I had a child who came a few times in the fall as a drop in. Her mom is nice enough but, I really don't know her well. Her only complaint was nap time. She didn't want the child to sleep. I explained my nap policy to her. Needless, to say that was the last time she came.

So today out of the blue the mom sends me a message to let me know she has been using a different provider and just wanted to let me. And make sure there were no hard feelings. WTF???

I want to be snarky and tell her I could care less and I knew naps were an issue for her. I guess it kind of pisses me off that she would even bother to tell me. I wasn't concerned at all!

If I did respond I wanted to say something like this "Oh, XXX is a great provider. I'm not taking drop ins anymore so that works perfectly!"

Do I reply or just let it be?
Thriftylady 06:33 AM 02-20-2015
I would just let it be, sounds to me like she is just being petty and childish kind of saying "oh you wouldn't do this so I found someone who would". Her choice and honestly if she would do that, then probably a good riddance.
Jack Sprat 06:45 AM 02-20-2015
She sent a second message explaining that new provider is going to be her older children's step mother and that new provider can pick up from school so it was more convenient for her.

Blah! I'm not responding. I just needed to vent and get it off my chest. It did bother me a bit.
Starburst 07:21 AM 02-20-2015
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
She sent a second message explaining that new provider is going to be her older children's step mother and that new provider can pick up from school so it was more convenient for her.

Blah! I'm not responding. I just needed to vent and get it off my chest. It did bother me a bit.
I'm guessing that was her intention, either that or she's bluffing and wants you to waffle by offering to change your policy to 'win her back'; especially if she keeps messaging you when your not responding. If she keeps bumbarding you with more messages she probably wants a (bad or apologetic) reaction out of you. If she persists just send her "Thank you for letting me know, I wish your family the best of luck." And leave it at that. Sometimes the best revenge is showing them your just fine without them.
laundrymom 07:57 AM 02-20-2015
I'd just text back
"K, thanks"
Unregistered 08:13 AM 02-20-2015
To me, it really does sound like she's just updating you so you know. ? She sounds like she feels bad for not using your services anymore so she says "this is more convenient" instead of "I like this better"... kwim? I've used that excuse before when I didn't like a preschool I was working at. I said this new place would be better carpooling wise. I wasn't going to burn bridges saying, "One of the directors was totally negative all the time and I didn't want to be around her".
daycare 08:17 AM 02-20-2015
Text are so hard to read what she is really saying and getting at.

She could be genuine or just being a butt.

I would send a sweet simple text that says

So happy you found a good fit for you and your family and for letting me know. Best of luck to all of you....

Or something like that.

You may see this person again in the future and you never want to create an uncomfortable situation. Especially if you don't know exactly what her agenda is
Jack Sprat 08:27 AM 02-20-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
Text are so hard to read what she is really saying and getting at.

She could be genuine or just being a butt.

I would send a sweet simple text that says

So happy you found a good fit for you and your family and for letting me know. Best of luck to all of you....

Or something like that.

You may see this person again in the future and you never want to create an uncomfortable situation. Especially if you don't know exactly what her agenda is

Oh yes! We park right by her house everyday at school pick up time. Our town is very small. We see each other at school functions etc. So yes I do agree sweet and simple it is.
daycarediva 08:54 AM 02-20-2015
"Glad you found someone! Thanks for letting me know! "

But I would be rolling my eyes.
hope 08:55 AM 02-20-2015
Maybe I am reading this wrong but if the new provider is going to be her childs step mom I don't see this as offensive at all. I would expect a step parent to watch her children if available and willing. Since its a small town she probably wanted to explain in case you got the wrong idea.
Jack Sprat 09:19 AM 02-20-2015
The provider is the new step mom of her older children, not the dcg. I always wondered why she didn't have her watch her. She doesn't need care a lot...

I sent the sweet and pleasant text. She responded with "Thanks! We really don't like XXX taking naps, and the XXX said she had no problem keeping her up with a movie during naps. It makes it much easier on us!"
daycare 09:23 AM 02-20-2015
The provider is the new step mom of her older children, not the dcg. I always wondered why she didn't have her watch her. She doesn't need care a lot...

I sent the sweet and pleasant text. She responded with "Thanks! We really don't like XXX taking naps, and the XXX said she had no problem keeping her up with a movie during naps. It makes it much easier on us!"
UGH...... I love that parent that is all about "US" NOT
Starburst 09:31 AM 02-20-2015
Sounds like she's one of those people who has to have the last word on everything because that message seemed totally unnecessary (unless her intention was to be passive agressive).
Unregistered 09:40 AM 02-20-2015
You could text back YAY!!

meaning yay for me because I dodged that bullet. but she could take it how she wants.
Blackcat31 09:45 AM 02-20-2015

I would be itching to reply:

"That works great for both of us then as the families I have now understand the importance of napping and how important that down time is to their provider. Have a great day! "
hope 09:46 AM 02-20-2015
Yeah, that response from her about the movie is uncalled for. She is onky texting you repeatedly to get a rise out of you.
daycare 09:47 AM 02-20-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

"That works great for both of us then as the families I have now understand the importance of napping and how important that down time is to their provider. Have a great day! "
winner winner!!!!!
Shell 10:03 AM 02-20-2015
Ugh! Just be glad you got rid of this lady- she sounds like a real pita!
originalkat 10:27 AM 02-20-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Me too!! After that nap comment I think I would have to say something like this.
DaveA 10:36 AM 02-20-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
Ugh! Just be glad you got rid of this lady- she sounds like a real pita!
This. Sounds like you dodged one "losing" her.
deliberateliterate 10:47 AM 02-20-2015
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Sounds like she's one of those people who has to have the last word on everything because that message seemed totally unnecessary (unless her intention was to be passive agressive).

Yes this. "Awesome! It sounds like it worked out just as well for you as it did for me".
daycarediva 10:51 AM 02-20-2015
Wow, really dcm.

"Wow, that's a lot of screen time! Glad it works for you though, and again, thanks for letting me know. Have a nice weekend."
NeedaVaca 11:12 AM 02-20-2015
No worries, I didn't give it a second thought when you left, no hard feelings here
Jack Sprat 11:44 AM 02-20-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
No worries, I didn't give it a second thought when you left, no hard feelings here
All of those responses made me laugh. This is the one that the snarky me would have said.

Yes, I am honestly glad she won't be calling. I hadn't heard from her since November, when she texted three times in a week for drop in care. I was full or didn't want the extra kid each time. I knew she wasn't happy about it and really wasn't concerned.

Ahhh, I do believe I will stop drop in care all together. It seems to be more of a pita then anything.
Tags:sassy, unnecessary calling
Reply Up