Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Speak Up Or?
KBCsMommy 11:12 AM 08-23-2012
I have 3 dck's. 11 mo dcg, 15 mo dcb and 15 mo dcg.

11 mo dcg and 15 mo dcb both get here at 7:30 am. They eat breakfast at 8am and are both ready for a nap by 9 am.

Dcg 15 mo arrives anywhere from 7:45 to 9:30. Sometimes she has breakfast sometimes she hasn't. My issue is her arrival time if she arrives later it's because dad has let her sleep in. So she gets here right at naptime and has just woken up, while other kids are sleeping and shes up playing.

Other kids go down at 9amish. Dcg is just arriving.

Other kids wake up at 11ish , dcg is ready for a nap.

Other kids eat lunch when she's sleeping.

Dcg wakes from nap, other kids are about ready to go down for nap. (Are you following!)

Basically, her schedule is flip flopped completely from the other kids. So she doesn't really get to play with them.

Last Friday, Dad dropped her off so late and picked her up at 6pm. He was pissed that she had just fell asleep for her afternoon nap at 5pm. I really wanted to tell him "well what do you expect, you didn't drop her off until 9:45!"

Should I talk to the parents about this. If they would bring her before 8, I could have her on a great schedule with the other kids. Dad doesn't have to be at work until 10am, so I feel like Im being an ass by asking her to be here earlier.

I don't want to sound selfish in the situation, but it's getting annoying! I'm just wondering if I should just keep up and shut up!!!
daycare 11:19 AM 08-23-2012
I think that now that it is started this way, the parents are going to have a hard time with you putting your foot down. In the future, don't let this happen.

All kids need to be on the same schedule, it's group care and children are cared for as a group.

I would also set up a cut off time for drop off. or maybe even contracted hours for each family.

I would speak up and let them know that the way things are right now are not working out for everyone. That you were trying to be flexible with the parents schedule, and then tell them the issues you are haivng.

again, if you let it start out this way, parents are going to be mad when you try to change it.
Creek 11:20 AM 08-23-2012
Nope, I would definately say something.
All children must be dropped off by such and such a time so they are able to participate in the days activities. Also, you need a break - and you're not getting one. Make it happen! GL!
jojosmommy 11:35 AM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think that now that it is started this way, the parents are going to have a hard time with you putting your foot down. In the future, don't let this happen.

All kids need to be on the same schedule, it's group care and children are cared for as a group.

I would also set up a cut off time for drop off. or maybe even contracted hours for each family.

I would speak up and let them know that the way things are right now are not working out for everyone. That you were trying to be flexible with the parents schedule, and then tell them the issues you are haivng.

again, if you let it start out this way, parents are going to be mad when you try to change it.
I agree with this. I have all my kids on a drop off schedule, all before 8:30. All nap at same time. One mom just couldnt get with the schedule and left. For the groups sake it works better here if everyone is on a similar (not strict) schedule. Since you started out care this way its going to be hard to change it though.
cheerfuldom 11:41 AM 08-23-2012
kids have to be dropped off by 9 and have to be able to nap during our nap time of 12-3. If they cant work within that schedule, I am not the right provider for them, period. Its not too late to change things but I would imagine that you should be ready for them to term once you put your foot down about it.
momofsix 11:41 AM 08-23-2012
Most of mine can give up a morning nap by 15 months, especially if he's sleeping in. Could you just hold off on the morning nap until after lunch and have them all sleep together in the afternoon? Even my kids that get dropped off at 10 will sleep after lunch.
My3cents 11:44 AM 08-23-2012
I don't think it is going to be hard to change, just explain to the parents what is going on, and work together to make it work.

Parent's do not understand, and probably don't care if we get a break or not. They figure we are on break all day because are job is not as important as the job that they have it is more relaxed so to say. Not true but they think this way. Not all.

We learn as we go and sometimes it takes a bit before we get it.

Your group care so in the interest of everyone you need to change up the schedule they have her on. An infant is different- they dictate the schedule they want to be on. Around one they are capable of falling into your schedule.

Good luck- Just level with them.
Remember they don't have to like it, but they don't have to deal with all the children all day either.
MNMum 11:48 AM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Most of mine can give up a morning nap by 15 months, especially if he's sleeping in. Could you just hold off on the morning nap until after lunch and have them all sleep together in the afternoon? Even my kids that get dropped off at 10 will sleep after lunch.

Considering the current situation, this is what I would do. If child gets there earlier, and has therefore gotten up earlier, I would do a morning nap. Otherwise I would hold off.
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by momofsix:
That is what I was going to suggest too. All my kids are trained to have only one afternoon nap during their 12 month.

By 13 months, they have the same afternoon nap as my older ones.

Under 12 months and they nap when ever needed.

But that is what I do, so if that doesn't work for you or you really still want the kids to have two naps, then I think you will have to speak up and tell dad that your napping schedule is this: (and give him a copy) and if that doesn't work for them, then your care is not the right fit for them.

I would surely hate to tell a parent they HAVE to bring their child to care versus spending time with their child just so they can nap on a certain schedule, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to tell the dad (and mom) that the child IS going to have a funky napping schedule if she does sleep in/arrive late.
KBCsMommy 01:24 PM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is what I was going to suggest too. All my kids are trained to have only one afternoon nap during their 12 month.

By 13 months, they have the same afternoon nap as my older ones.

Under 12 months and they nap when ever needed.

But that is what I do, so if that doesn't work for you or you really still want the kids to have two naps, then I think you will have to speak up and tell dad that your napping schedule is this: (and give him a copy) and if that doesn't work for them, then your care is not the right fit for them.

I would surely hate to tell a parent they HAVE to bring their child to care versus spending time with their child just so they can nap on a certain schedule, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to tell the dad (and mom) that the child IS going to have a funky napping schedule if she does sleep in/arrive late.
I think I do this!!! I don't know why I never considered this.

That's why I didn't really want to say anything, I didn't think it was fair to the dad to have to get up early just so his daughter could nap with the other kids. They are really a great family and dcg is a doll. I wasn't keen on the idea of rocking the boat so to speak. And I have let it go on for so long now it would not be wise of me to say anything now.
spud912 01:35 PM 08-23-2012
I agree with Blackcat . . . transition everyone to one afternoon nap.
Reply Up